Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weird - turbo hoses different bore sizes!

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
The other day I took the rams horn & intercoolers off my car to begin the long process of removing teh TPI and manifold to install new intake gaskets (water leak:cry - caught it early though).

Anyway I removed the flexible hoses that connect the intercoolers to the rams horn (neoprene? - the blue hoses with white stripe) to clean them up and I noticed a disparity in size. I measured them and noticed that one is approx 50mm and one approx 55mm in diameter!

Putting them next to each other the difference is really apparent.

I did wonder why one hose is very tight and a real squeeze to fit and the other side just slides off!

Wonder if this made a restriction to the performance? I intend to buy some 54mm hose from my local speed shop that sells turbo hose.

Could this be a Callaway error, who knows, you'd think it results in a slight disparity between each bank though?

Weird...

Intercooler Hoses

When I got my hoses from Callaway they were specific as to which hose goes where . Meaning that they are indeed different sizes. I hope you call Callaway about the new gasket. They have changed the gasket that was used previously.

Hi Pete

Yes, it occurred to me that the narrower bore hose may be for the Throttle position switch side as clearance is a problem there - my TP switch is right against the rams horn.

There are a couple of small dents in the rams horn which I never noticed till I took it off, they don't extend to the inside though, maybe that's how it's made?

For the intake I was going to go to FelPro as I've always found them to be the best. I can see on my car now that it's the RTV that's failed though there were no signs of previous dismantling, it's probably just 14 years of use!

Cheers for the advice, it may be worth calling Callaway if they have a new product worth using. I presumed this gasket would just be stock though?

Because I'm in the UK it can be a little expensive to ship a part from Callaway and pay the duty unless it's actually a specific part. Makes more sense when I can order a few parts (Callaway shift knob and new belt may be good idea...)

Just got out of hospital today (went in for a day) and won't be able to touch my car for at least a week (bummer!) but that should give me a chance to get my bits together.

Well my car is being serviced there right now and they said the original gasket compound was known for failure . They are using a new gasket just check with them so you do not have to do this twice . Good luck and feel better

Cheers Pete :beer

Hmm... I put the same size hose on both sides of the Rams horn :gap The passenger side hose was a tight squeeze with the TPS switch. This blue silicone hose is a standard Marine Very High Temperature exhaust hose. Since I have a boat, I recognized the material which can be found at marine supply houses and is manufactured by trident marine http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/wetex_hose.htm
I simply bought the hose at a marine supply and used a razor blade to cut the length to size. Works like a champ. The hose is made in a variety of sizes and if I had measured both sides I would have gotten it right. One side was a bit of a squeeze but it went in and works great. I also replaced the piece in the turbo up pipes (wrapped in aluminum ) while I was at it.

-Luigi
:cool

Actually I just took off the hoses that run between the intercoolers and turbo pipes (the ones covered in metal heat shields) as well and there is a similar disparity in size.

I reckon someone (maybe even me!) has at some time taken off all the hoses and puit them back incorrectly.

Now I have 2 larger bore hoses and 2 x smaller bore. I'd guess the smaller bore may fit at the rams horn end because of limited clearance?

Speaking of limited clearance I'm not too keen on the lack of space between the hoses/with heatchield and my valve covers / plug wires.

What does anyone reckon of just installing the hoses without the heatshields? I guess Callaway put them there for a reason though they are before the intercooler and therefore must carry very hot air straight from the turbos.

Cheers luigi

:beer
TurboLuigi said:
I recognized the material which can be found at marine supply houses and is manufactured by trident marine http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/wetex_hose.htm
I just emailed the UK distributor to see if I can get the correct hose. I can get plain blue from my local turbo boy racer fast 'n' furious shop but it would be nice to get the correct hose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom