Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Well, looks whats back.....

djsroknrol

Corvette
1984 L83/MD8 red coupe
I finally got the Vette back Saturday. I had to catch a ride to Vegas as they wouldn’t send the car back and I had to be at work at 2:00 that afternoon. I planned it out and thought I would make it, but in a perfect world……

To start off, I arrived at the shop after my brother met me at the drop off, and the GM started by telling me there would be no warranty…seems that my son asked for a couple of things to be done that the previous GM promised and that the new GM tried to extort payment from us for, so that was the reason for no warranty. I thought that was illegal, but I was pressed for time so I didn’t want to argue.

I told him I wanted to start the car, warm it up and go for a spin around the block with him….I started it up and it loped like a dead dog!...Hmmm….not good. Then I shut it down and waited for him to join me, but it was out of gas by then and I had to hike to the gas station to fill a gas can (very upset by then).

I noticed that the air pump bracket that was paid cash for in the beginning STILL wasn’t changed and the driver’s side valve cover was missing a bolt amongst other things…by now I’m hot from talking to him and I’m now going to be late to work. I just wanted the hell outa there, so I got on the road.

The trip back was uneventful aside from the occasional surging, which I thought was from needing to be “dialed in”. It ran fine on cruise at 70 all the way home. Sunday morning I got up early to get out on the lake and when I got back on dry land, the car started backfiring from the secondary TB…WTF? It got worse as I got closer to home, so I decided to drop it off at my regular mechanic’s place for him to look at Monday morning first thing and walked home from there.

Here’s the kicker; I thought it was going to be an expensive number and G-D knows what was wrong, but by noon, he called the house to say it was done…he found 2 rocker arms had fallen off…unbelievable! He said I was lucky I even made it home….I could only imagine what it would have been like to be stuck out in the middle of the desert.

So there you have it…the end of a bad start and a lousy streak of bad luck, but my Vette is back home…

:happyanim::happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

I am glad for you....but also very ALARMED !

How in the name of all things Holy can a shop that caused this damage in the first place, do such a poor, half-assed repair and send it out the door with rockers that fall off, valve cover bolts missing, etc??

I know its not realistic, but somewhere at some point someone has to take a stand and STOP these scam artist shops from screwing one more person,by telling the world who and what they are, and holding their feet to the fire and forcing them to DO WHAT THEY PROMISED..:mad

To me its fraud :ugh Plain and simple. They tell you they will provide a service, take your money, then do something else or not at all. Thats fraud.Theft by deception is another possible legal way of seeing what they do.
They should be shut down and not allowed to have a business license again.
In this case they were supposedly attempting to "right a wrong" by fixing what their wanna be mechanic/employee damaged, as they should. Now they practically do it again,. which makes me wonder if they did'nt have the SAME bonehead (because they could make him do it free) do this job since they probably lied to you about firing him, Or they forced him to return and do the work on his time, keeping their expense down.

I hope that your local mechanic looked everything over real well. If obvious things were left undone, makes me wonder about the more important details...
Regardless, I'd sure file a report with the states BBB office, and every consumer protection agency on the planet. There might not be much you can do in reality, except let the world figure it out for themselves and hope that somebody actually looks at the BBB and consumer reports before going to that shop (which they don;t).
Me? if they screwed me, I'd pay for a billboard in front of their shop that simply told the story...no deflamation or slander...just some facts. I'm all about justice for the consumer.

Its just nice to know that you finally got your gift. Go enjoy it !

Hopefully there is an appt with Karma that will visit those a-holes...and you can put this behind you and move on....in your Corvette!

Good Luck !:beer

I second having the car looked over very thoroughly by your regular guy.

That shop needs shut down. Did you ever consult an attorney?

Now that I look back, the GM was just so uncaring about the whole mess and it just boils my blood :mad

I've got the release bill from the shop and the repair bill here to add to this heap of dirt and I have a couple of lawyer friends who live there that I want to give this mess to. I'm sure I will be reimbursed for everything when it's all over......the BBB won't do anything and I do believe in karma; it bites you in the rear every time ;)

In the meantime Boom, I can't really drive it until the weekends anyway and I wanted my wrench to double check a few things so I have another appointment with him before the weekend.

I'm just happy that I'm able to drive it again and that it didn't suffer any major damage from that little incident.

Glad it's back. I can't remember if you ever said who was doing the engine work and I am hoping it was not a GM dealer. I guess I am curious about what kind of shop was doing the work was it an independent shop. In any case you have been careful not to disclose the name of the shop that has done such poor work and I can understand you may not want to because of legal reasons. On the other hand it appears that from both times they worked on your car they did less than quality work. As long as you have all the documentation on this fiasco I think it would be helpful if you could give us a name to go with this shop so others won't get taken with sub par work. If in fact it is a GM dealership they should be made aware of what you went through with them. After all if that is the work ethic in there shop think of all the other people who are being given poor quality work. I would hate to have that same mechanic do a brake job on my car and leave parts off or loose.

Glad it's back. I can't remember if you ever said who was doing the engine work and I am hoping it was not a GM dealer. I guess I am curious about what kind of shop was doing the work was it an independent shop. In any case you have been careful not to disclose the name of the shop that has done such poor work and I can understand you may not want to because of legal reasons. On the other hand it appears that from both times they worked on your car they did less than quality work. As long as you have all the documentation on this fiasco I think it would be helpful if you could give us a name to go with this shop so others won't get taken with sub par work. If in fact it is a GM dealership they should be made aware of what you went through with them. After all if that is the work ethic in there shop think of all the other people who are being given poor quality work. I would hate to have that same mechanic do a brake job on my car and leave parts off or loose.

No, it wasn't a GM dealer....I've never had such poor service from a dealer. Up till now, I haven't disclosed the name of the shop, and I still don't think I need to smear them. I doubt that anyone on CAC would use them anyway on a regular basis....it was just a bad move on my sons' part to get it repaired and him and I need to deal with it.

No, it wasn't a GM dealer....I've never had such poor service from a dealer. Up till now, I haven't disclosed the name of the shop, and I still don't think I need to smear them. I doubt that anyone on CAC would use them anyway on a regular basis....it was just a bad move on my sons' part to get it repaired and him and I need to deal with it.

Understood. Go have some fun with it. When I first got mine I was able to take it on several 500 mile day trips and each one made me want to go again it was so much fun.:Steer:v

I'm hoping my mechanic can finish it Friday....the girls are all chomping at the bit to go for a ride :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom