Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wet carpet on passenger floor

T

tlvt

I have soaked carpet on the passenger side floorboard. I suspected it might be condensation from the a/c so I turned off the a/c and soaked up the water with a towel. The next morning after the car had set overnight the carpet was wet again. I have not run the a/c now for three days and the carpet continues to be soaked. This is clear water not coolant. Does anyone have a clue as to where this is coming from? Ted, 2000 coupe

I have not driven in the rain for over 2 weeks now, so I would rule out rain.

cruzer82 said:
Put the car on a rack so you can get it from the underside. It is just below the battery box and against the firewall. It is 1/4 or 3/8 dia rubber tube at a right angle pointing down. If you are lucky, you might be able to get a wire in it and get it opened up. If not you should remove it (pulls off but sometimes a bi#$th to get back on). The clog is usually at the elbow (90 deg bend).
Have fun.....:w
Here is your answer fix it soon as it's real bad on the BCM behind the passenger side toeboard. Kind of hard to get to. get a flashlight and you'll find it.

tlvt,

I had this problem on my 1999 C5 coupe, which immobilized the car for five days while I was out-of-state. If water enters the computer compartment in the right foot-well, it can ruin the computer (water follows the wiring harness).

Here is how to unclog the a/c condensate drain:

It is located on the firewall, at the back end of the right engine head. It can be seen from above on the passenger side of the engine compartment, but must be accessed from below. The drain tube is a 90 degree rubber elbow, about the diameter of your little finger.

To remove the rubber drain elbow, raise the RF of the car (use jackstands...) while the engine is completely cool. Get under the car. It is a tight fit, but your hand can reach the rubber elbow. Pull it off the plastic nipple that protrudes from the firewall.

Clean the inside of the rubber elbow. The end is moulded into a small shape, about the size of a pea. Cut off the end to enlarge the opening. The rubber elbow will probably be clogged with white, crusty material.

Use a plastic zip-tie (non clasp end) to gently push inside the hard plastic nipple that protrudes from the firewall. That will dislodge any "goop" which is usually white, crusty material also.

Replace the rubber drain elbow on the hard plastic nipple, with the drain opening pointing to the ground.

This link will show you excellent pictures to help your repair: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1069597

You will have to remove the right seat (easy) and the carpet/pad (also easy) to dry. Make sure you dry the inside of the car with the carpet removed and dry the carpet/pad thoroughly in the sun.

Good luck.

Thank you so much I will follow your instructions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom