Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What are the pros and cons of grounding the OD switch?

J

Jedi86

I was looking at Kens 4+3 page and was wondering if that major modification would be a good idea. Thanks!

Corvette
1986 Convertible Dark Red Metallic
Jeff,

The 86 does not have the wire referred to on Ken's 4+3 page. You can't do the mod. I know 'cause I spent an hour under my car lookin for the damn thing :hb only to find out the 86 did not have this wire. :bu

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
So you're saying that we can't assume manual control over the overdrive in an 86? That would explain why I couldn't find the wire either...
[RICHR]

Corvette
1986 Convertible Dark Red Metallic
Well you can assume manual control in a sense but not like Ken who has bypassed the 'puter. Here's what I do. As soon as my temp hits 128 my OD will kick in. I watch for this and turn off the OD using the Shifter switch. I then drive and shift normal and turn the OD back on when I need to lower the rpms. When I 'shift' into OD I always depress the clutch just like a normal shift. Saves the 'thump' when it kicks in automatically. I also use it to downshift when in OD and 4th. I depress the clutch, turn the OD off and let out. It's like I downshifted, which of course I just did. So I am 'manually controlling' the OD by not letting the computer do it. A benefit of still having the 'puter is if I do have to 'jump on it' in a hurry, the 'puter will downshift out of OD for me. :bu :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom