Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what are these wires

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
this is on my 82, while reconecting the power mirrors wiring I noticed some wires at the bottom of the door, its a harness thats about a inch wide and has maybe 5 wires looks like it runs to the door lock tumbler, the passenger door also has something like this as well ...... is this some sort of a primitive alarm system and what is involved in removing the entire system if it is a factory alarm system ... a while back my car wouldn't start yet everything else worked on the car to, when I say wouldn't start I mean the starter wouldn't turn the motor over could these mysterious wires be causing this

topless,

I have a 1981, the '82 I believe have the same alarm setup. 81 was the first year to have the "Starter Interrupt Relay". This relay disables the ignition switch until the alarm is activated. The alarm will reset after going off, but the interrupt relay keeps the ignition disabled until reset with the key..

First let me establish where all your alarm points are:
  • Both Doors (Key Locks & Door Jamb Switch)
  • Both T-Tops (Roof Panel Locks)
  • Hood (Switch infront of Passager side)
  • A couple fewer components if Manual Door Locks ;)

The main components of the system are:
  • Electronic Control Module
  • Starter Interrupt Relay
  • 10amp Theft Deterrent Fuse
  • 10amp Radio Fuse

Wire colors invovlved with the system are Oragne Gray, Tan, Light Blue, Yellow, Green, Black, Orange/Black, Black/White and Purple/White.

The Electronic Control Module is either located in the spare compartment behind the passagers seat, or in the center console, I think all the 82's are located behind the seat. The Starter interrupt relay is located next to or very close to the Control Module.

The system can be removed, and with your 82 being "Topless" some of it already has ;) I don't see any big problems.. the Interrupt Relay is a NORMALLY CLOSED contact and open the circuit when in the Alarmed mode, or the relay is energized.

I would take the arlam out in phase's, testing the starting circuit with each snip.. Good Luck.. remember to check for good fuses in the horn circuit as well as the alarm and radio circuits as you start to "Remove" wires, and check for ignition start function as you go..

BudD
:w

Topless,
When I bought the 82 it had a Viper installed and actually works well. When I was removing my console for a radio replacement(which I haven't done yet) I noticed there was a factory alarm installation in the schematics from the shop manual. I assume mine is disconnected? If you'd like me to scan and send let me know via e-mail.
Bud is right on with the protected points.:_rock

thanks for the help on these wires, when I did chop the roof of I did notice some sort of switches going to the rear latch hold down for the t-tops but no one new what these were for.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom