Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What Clutch and Flywheel to use

• Thread starter Thread starter insiswe
  • Start date Start date
I

insiswe

This is the second clutch used on this 1991 ZR1.The second clutch was a Centerforce dual friction.The car has 93000Km and the centerforce was fitted
at 91k.On removal I found that the plate was tapered and on checking flywheel and pressure plate they both have massive tapers plus minus 0 to 2,8mm on radius.I assume that the taper existed on the flywheel before as I did not remove the flywheel as i thought it had done reasonably few miles 56000 miles.
All surfaces were dry and no signs of oil leaks.
What flywheel do I replace the dual with and what pressure plate /clutch is the best to use. The centerforce is a Valeo with balance weights-Is this the best clutch for the job or do you think it was just a flywheel problem.
The taper on the presure plate and flywheel are tapered in opposite directions forming a knife edge. The rivets on the clutch plate have marks on them as well.
Fidanza/Mcloed what does one do.
I am fitting beam plates to the central support as all bolts were loose although torqued correctly on removal.Desparate to do it right.

You can replace your flywheel (dual mass) with a stock unit. The stock flywheel is expensive and heavy, but there is someone currently selling them at a low cost. You can also use a stock clutch too.
If your car gets track or autocross use you can change to a standard type flywheel and performace clutch. Carolina and Spec are two good choices that can supply a Fidanza flywheel and two sided (organic/kevlar) clutch. Keep in mind, you get some trans gear noise when you change to a standard type flywheel. You loose 23.5 lbs of flywheel weight, so thats where the extra performace comes from.

Before any credible recomendation can be made about a clutch, you need to post about how you drive the car. Race car? Street car? Street/track car? Modified? Stock?

Thanks for your replies.The car is a weekend/show and shine/club trackday car.It has had three owners and had a burnt cluth when I fitted the centreforce.the car has a chip from the Formotos,headers,k&n.(say stock).With a car of this mass is it not ill advised to use a lighter flywheel as this shurely effects pullaway torque.

Dualmass flywheel replacement

Does anybody know the procedure for balancing a new replacement dual mass flywheel for an LT5.What I am asking is if you neutral balance.i did read somewhere that you place the existing masses in the same pockets but this entails drilling the 'rivets.

just note the position of the balancing pins and press new ones into the new

flywheel and the car will balance out nicely.

if you have a stock engine and gears you might want to stay with

the dual mass. if you upgrade to the 4.10s, I would go with the fidanza.

insiswe said:
Thanks for your replies.The car is a weekend/show and shine/club trackday car.It has had three owners and had a burnt cluth when I fitted the centreforce.the car has a chip from the Formotos,headers,k&n.(say stock).

Do you care about gear rattle?

With a car of this mass is it not ill advised to use a lighter flywheel as this shurely effects pullaway torque.

I'd say that's true only if the goal is drag racing and you're going to run really sticky tires or is going to be driven regularly why a person unskilled or inexperienced at using a manual trans.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom