Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what if my bladder is bad?

7t7

Soooo, I'm pulling my gas tank to install a new fuel sending unit on my 77 L82...wondering if I can make a gasket for the sending unit (can't seem to find one?) and if so, with what material/compound? Also, what's the deal with bladders? Not available? I can only imagine patching it like the tube that we rode down the river on last year...LoL. :boogie Thanks all, Dennis

The new sending unit should have come with the correct cork gasket? 1975-1977 only. Unless the bladder is collapsed completely leave it alone. If you put fuel in your car and notice the fuel gauge going down faster then normal then there is a rupture in the bladder and it should be removed. People run without bladders installed all the time now. If the car is to be parked for any period of time the fuel tank should be topped off to help keep bladder from collapsing. Originally I think they were installed for safety reason only because of the alleged problems with the pinto tanks rupturing in a rear end accident.
Brian

may help

Soooo, I'm pulling my gas tank to install a new fuel sending unit on my 77 L82...wondering if I can make a gasket for the sending unit (can't seem to find one?) and if so, with what material/compound? Also, what's the deal with bladders? Not available? I can only imagine patching it like the tube that we rode down the river on last year...LoL. :boogie Thanks all, Dennis
Hi no problem most parts store sell sheet gasket, special cork for gaz , comes in a pack of three different thickness one thirty two,one sistenth, and three thirty two,i think i used thinest on mine , plus its really handy for alot of other uses on a car, iuse swissors and small pen knife. regards.

thanks Brian/Wayne... Yup, i would have thought a gasket would have been included, but nope...I'll go get some cork. And hope the bladder isn't collasped. Dennis

I'm not sure if there is a gasket, I think the lip of the bladder sits on the edge of the hole and acts as the gasket. I think I went thru this with mine when I did the same thing. I'll take a look when I get home.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom