Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is Computer Chip for Speed

Vettevrooom

Corvette
2000 Millennium Yellow Coupe Glass Top
I'm going tomorrow to look at a 2000 coupe with glass top & all the option toys & 28,000 miles. He assures me it has not been raced, BUT says the only mod his brother put on it was a computer chip. I asked what it was for and he said for speed. What is this, my son does mods on his MR2 but is not sure what this is either. Is it only for racing? How might it have damaged this car or reduced engine life, transmission life etc.? Thank you much!

A list of things to look for, i.e. warning signs would be nice too.

Don't want to get stuck with a lemon.

The 2000 has chips in the computer, but not the kind that we are more use to hearing about on the older Vettes. It is actually a reprogramable memory, so it does not have to be opened to make changes.

The reprogram would do several things.....cause an auto trans to shift stronger, later, cause it to run cooler, cause it to pull a little harder and of course, get less gas mileage.

Maybe he meant a "chip for performance...ie, speed".....

A 2000 is still new enough, that other than looking for obvious signs of overspray paint from any prior significant repairs, the rest of the car should show wear and tear pretty easy.

If you are not into a Vette that has been performance driven (which they all have been whether the owner admits or not), then you might want to steer clear of this one simply because he has already jacked the computer around. It will cost you about $250-$500 to reprogram it back if desired in the future.

Thank you, I appreciate the help. He did say it was for "more speed" as I thought there were chips for different things, but insisted there were no other modifications. When I kiddingly asked if it would be out as a landmark to his house he said "Oh no, it's never out it will be in the garage." I didn't think to ask which one specifically i.e. brand but from other forums on a similar topic it sounded like people took them off again as they showed no power difference anyway.

He sounds like a class businessman with own business, over phone, which I suppose means nothing. This is my first as I've wanted one forever and I'm not interested in racing, more like catching up and showing off!

Poodle:
Ask him the brand & part number of the chip.

There are companies that offer "chips" for cars and trucks. They are good & people have used them for years, here is an example http://www.fastchip.com/ .

Also he might have gone this route
http://www.hypertech-inc.com/ or had a private programer program the on board computer ... none of this means that you should just walk away -

I know several vette owners that have done these things & they take better care of their vettes than people that just daily drive them.

Go look at the car & do what you'd do in looking at any other "used" car.

By the way with the "0" interest rates on vettes right now - it might be cheaper to buy a new one...

Hope this helps ... Good luck

:) :w

69MyWay I just looked at your website. Awesome work! The black '69 Stingray was the car I always wanted, but common sense took over as a first vette & I've opted for computerized security against getting stranded.

Don&Kelly I appreciate your perspective. I'm torn between wondering why he did anything if he did not do more mods (most do not know when to stop once they start) and the fact that he must know something or he wouldn't chance destroying the computer.

As far as a new one, since body style is same I figured I would find one a bit older and save because tech people have told me "you can't really destroy the new vettes they are meant to be raced".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom