Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What is the purpose of this hole? My 1964 Coupe?

Jack64

Corvette
1964 coupe
This hole is located on both outboard positions, behind the rear seat tracks.

They are:
  • Not threaded
  • Underneath, have a metal plate riveted to floor
  • Are located above gussets, which are welded to frame

Are they for a cable system? None listed for model year 1964.

Note the seatbelts are bolted both to the sill (outboard) and to the transmission tunnel (inboard)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jack64

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
Good question, I don’t remember my 64having that, but it has been more than 40 years since I owned it. Someone will be by soon to respond with the correct answer....:thumb

1964 Coupe

Good question, I don’t remember my 64having that, but it has been more than 40 years since I owned it. Someone will be by soon to respond with the correct answer....:thumb
Thanks, Toms
My 64 getting back on the road after 42 years in storage.
Must resolve this outstanding issue first however.

I was able to find one picture in an old parts manual that show that lower part with the rivets through it as part of the verticle part in the sill that the seat belt bolts through. So it seems to all be the seat belt reinforcement. The non threaded hole appears to be a drain hole that would have a rubber plug in it. 4805844 is shown as the GM part number for underbody floor drain plug. Should be 4 of the same size in the floor area. Probably 2 more in the footwell area. Paragon shows a floor plug set with 4 in 3/4" and 2 in 1 1/4"

This is my best guess.

Tom

I was able to find one picture in an old parts manual that show that lower part with the rivets through it as part of the verticle part in the sill that the seat belt bolts through. So it seems to all be the seat belt reinforcement. The non threaded hole appears to be a drain hole that would have a rubber plug in it. 4805844 is shown as the GM part number for underbody floor drain plug. Should be 4 of the same size in the floor area. Probably 2 more in the footwell area. Paragon shows a floor plug set with 4 in 3/4" and 2 in 1 1/4"

This is my best guess.

Tom
97.4 % odds your right Tom

Seat belt reinforcement...

Tom,
Thank you for your thoughts and research.
Your explanation seems logical. I will examine the area more fully when I am home. Hopefully all is intact and I can proceed with the carpet install.
If you are able to post the pic you found I would much appreciate.
Rgds
Jack

IMG_2143.JPG

This is one of those light grey drawings from the parts manual. Item 6 on the outboard side is what we are looking at.

Tom

Tom,
Thank you once again.
It appears to me the reinforcing plates are located beneath the floor and behind the sill, that is, there is nothing to be added to my support system. It would appear intact.

Again, will check more thoroughly when I am home.
Thanks again for your diligent efforts...
Jack

Glad to help.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom