Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What those people in the UK think of the C6

This show does this to every sort of car out there. Dont take it personally. Some of them are very funny.

Gotta love British humor (humour?) don't ya?

They aren't entirely wrong. Sadly the Corvette interior is pretty lame compared to other "world class" sports cars and some of the Chevy tech is a bit dated (2 valve pushrod V8?) but in the end the package is amazing - especially at the price.

I hope Chevy finds a way to spruce up the interior and add some new, cool tech to the car that isn't flashing lights and gadgets, but let's face it, that's part of the appeal of the Corvette anyway. It's AMERICAN, damnit!

Besides, the Germans put billions of dollars worth of technology into the 911 and almost all of it is in place to keep the back end out back. . . ;)

They (the Brits) only wish they came up with the idea first. :L

BTW, as far as the leaf spring suspension. IT WORKS! :upthumbs

I saw a really good article that explained in detail why GM uses leaf springs. Just do not remember where? :confused

Save The Wave! :w

That video has been around for awhile. The important thing to remember is not to make generalizations about British people after seeing this show, eg British people don't like the corvette, etc. The amusing thing is that Jeff Hammond believes he speaks for all British people when he's actually speaking just for himself. The idea that his opinion about our favorite car represents that of an entire nation is good for a chuckle. Even if that doesn't make you laugh, the idea that he is a suspension expert probably will.

The show is basically a bit mean and nasty, and not meant to be taken seriously, especially since you wind up knowing less about the cars they review than when you started watching. Their reviews are basically worthless, especially those of Jeremy Clarkson's. They even rag on British cars too. Not an ounce of useful information about any of their cars can be had from that show.

BTW, without plastics, the car would weigh three tons and get five miles per gallon. Who is he kidding with the plastic comment? Maybe he wishes the entire car could be made of metal.

I will say this: the last time I was in the U.K. I spent three weeks there and saw not a single Corvette anywhere, although I did see several in France and Spain. The primary market for the car is the U.S. and that will never change. We sell enough of them here anyway.

Here is what the Britt’s really think about Corvettes.

Tom, one of the owners of Claremont Corvette has written at least 6 books about Corvettes.

If there were right hand drive Vettes there would be more in the UK, Oz, South Africa and Japan. A buddy of mine and his dad used to convert Vettes and Firebirds to wrong-hand drive in Melbourne until his wife made a ton of $$$ in real estate. Since then they have been on an extended walk-about. The last email from them was from the Corvette Museum about 6 months ago.:upthumbs

I'm British and live in cold and damp Kent..

As someone has already stated Jeremy Clarkson is not to be taken seriously. The format of the show is very much tongue in cheek. He'll very often rave about a car one week and condem it the next.....

When the original Viper was current he was head over heals about it....he even used one at his wedding to drive away with his new bride........Speak to him today and he'll probably tell you he never liked it.

As for Corvettes.......they are pretty much admired over here. The styling is like nothing else and they represent fantastic value.

lt4man said:

Thats what I was laughing at! How they said it was from Vietnam or something. My gosh this is too funny;LOL

I'm a Brit, watch Top Gear and enjoy it. I can buy my own choice of car without their influence. I have Chosen Corvette 4 times! I tried an equivalent priced BMW Z4 and Boxster 2.7 (the better of these two) but neither could give me the excitement of a Vette. So what do I get for my hard earned pound.
Stunning performance.
Effortless cruising at high or low speed
Comfortable electric seats
Twin Zone Aircon
Fabulous body shape, I can't walk away from the car without looking back at it.
Massive luggage space
Excessive leg room
memory everything
Lots of safety kit
I rate the ride quality as far better than the Z4 which is so harsh I sold it after 4 months
Cornering, which for my driving style is first class. I have never had an uneasy moment cornering in a Vette but there again I have never smoked the tires either.
I can't afford an Aston DB9, which would be the next step up, then I would get a beautiful interior .. in the meantime I get the car of my dreams without nightmare so called "Supercar" running costs or unreliability.

That's OK I will ride my azz along on the leaf springs. I like it and again none of the autos in this little spiel were in the price range as the Corvette.

NSX maybe $80,000.00

TVR maybe $150,000.00

Porsche well $$$

What did he put in the road and run over which affected his back so? I have lower L4/L5 disk problems and I have no issues.

Pseudomind said:
TVR maybe $150,000.00
The TVR is £40,000, it's a lightweight track car, great fun for track days. don't look for Aircon, cruise, memory or sound system and if it will do 400 miles without the aid of a tow-truck it will wreck every bone in your body including your lower back!!!!:crazy

tony@scotland said:
The TVR is £40,000, it's a lightweight track car, great fun for track days. don't look for Aircon, cruise, memory or sound system and if it will do 400 miles without the aid of a tow-truck it will wreck every bone in your body including your lower back!!!!:crazy

Ok $70,000.00, but I am thinking (yea I know could be dangerous :L ) the one used in the film was not the bare bones model

We have had several TVRs. My buddy Moso and I picked up one at the London car show in 1996 and drove it ½ way to Budapest. The other half of the trip we traveled in the cab of the FlatBed that Moso’s brother came to fetch us with. The problem turned out to be an out of balance ½ shaft that shook the oil seal out of the diff.:crazy

I'm a Brit, watch Top Gear and enjoy it. I can buy my own choice of car without their influence. I have Chosen Corvette 4 times! I tried an equivalent priced BMW Z4 and Boxster 2.7 (the better of these two) but neither could give me the excitement of a Vette.
I like the Z4 as well. I bought the wife a Z3 (used) but it was just a fancy MGA. Too rough and noisy for the $$$ it cost. She traded it for a Prelude:ugh which I managed to convince her to sell after we got the Pontiac Van.

I can't afford an Aston DB9, which would be the next step up, then I would get a beautiful interior .. in the meantime I get the car of my dreams without nightmare so called "Supercar" running costs or unreliability.
The Team owners brother is trying to spend an unlimited inheritance on cars and motorcycles. ( He is considered to have the most important car/bike/truck collection in Spain.) He bought a DB9 that I love even though he had 2 gearbox failures in the first year. Guess what he drives when he really needs to get somewhere? Yelp - a bright red Z06.:upthumbs

But not to knock all Britt cars. The new Jags are good cars. One of my partners put 100K on a 2001 S-Type and swapped it for a 2004 which now has about 80K with out a single problem. Since the 3 year old Mercedes S-Klass ate the gearbox I am considering replacing it with a Jag Salon for the Team (company paid for) car.

lt4man said:
They (the Brits) only wish they came up with the idea first. :L

Duh! They did come up with it first.

The Brits were using independent suspension with transverse leaf springs in 1953 when the Corvette was using mid 50s Chevy sedan suspension with a solid rear axle and crap front suspension.

http://www.motorbase.com/vehicle/by-id/42/

Really funny. These guys love to trash cars. I've got a friend who bought a new Jag sedan. I year later and an endless series of visits to the dealer for service, he's now got a Caddy. Maybe we should put together a video for them to use on their show.

Mike

road_racefan said:
Really funny. These guys love to trash cars. I've got a friend who bought a new Jag sedan. I year later and an endless series of visits to the dealer for service, he's now got a Caddy. Maybe we should put together a video for them to use on their show.

Mike

I am an American Car fan, but let me get this right, road_racefan. Jaguar is owned by Ford and which country is Ford run from .....?:confused

Just because a company buys another company does NOT mean all the employees are replaced.

I am sure Jaguar still employs mainly Brits and folks from the UK and Europe.

Your inference that the controlling company "dictates" policy for the other company does not compute.

What Jaguar needed and Ford provided was CASH!

One of the many reasons why Ford is now near bankruptcy.

Save The Wave! :w

tony@scotland said:
I am an American Car fan, but let me get this right, road_racefan. Jaguar is owned by Ford and which country is Ford run from .....?:confused

The profitable part is run from Europe.

road_racefan said:

Mike

Dont stress Mike :W, The Top Gear team, entusiastically trashes cars from all around the world equally and without prejudice. A very PC show in fact. :L

The one I liked was when Clarkson was raving about his new Ford GT (see pro-American car), and the others pointed out that in a carpark, he couldnt get out of the thing because of the door top - roof design, now thats was funny, i dont care who you are!!

Its a comedy show about cars, and its the only car show the other half loves to watch, so Im not complaining. ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

:beer
Kiwi Vette

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom