Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What to do?

Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
I took my car in to be detailed last week ( I know, I know - if you want something done right...DIY!) and now the inside of my gauge cluster cover (clear plastic) is covered in #$@! The only way to get the @#$! off of there is for me to remove the cover and clean it. My question is, how much work is it to get that baby off and what do I need to remove to get to it?

Thx in advance,
Jeff

First you'll need to remove your foot out of the a$$ of the person that screwed up the gauge after you kick it. Then have them pay for it!
Did you at least go back and show them the gauge? Man, I would be mad!:mad

I hear ya' BUT I'm afraid to take it back to them cuz they'll @#$! it up. I think that I will stop by there after work and show them and see what they have to say. It sucks cuz the only way to get that @#$! off is to pull the dash apart & I don't know that I trust these a$$holes to do it.

It looks like they wiped the inside of it and it smeared like a mutha BUT that's impossible, so I'm baffled as to how they did it. If I had to guess I'd have to say that the "damage" came from through the firewall. :confused

JEFNLSA said:
I hear ya' BUT I'm afraid to take it back to them cuz they'll @#$! it up. I think that I will stop by there after work and show them and see what they have to say. It sucks cuz the only wat to get that @#$! off is to pull the dash apart & I don't know that I trust these a$$holes to do it.

It looks like they wiped the inside of it and it smeared like a mutha BUT that's impossible, so I'm baffled as to how they did it. If I had to guess I'd have to say that the "damage" came from through the firewall. :confused
Jeff, Ithink thay used Dr.GoBart's no Kink ****** Hair Stratener (Armoral or Equ.) Slimed that sh*t all over dash and put it in sun with window's up, it vaporized and got all over the back side of len's!! Thes A/holes around here do it and it's a Sticky mess and a Job to Take Dash apart and clean it!! Just as well do it your self or you'l have broken dash part's!!:W :W :W junk!!

If anyone knows about bieng screwed, it is me. I would take it back and talk with them about what process was done to your car. Then show them the damage that was done. Talk with them first, then get stern, to work out a comprimise. IF you dont want them working on it, try to get a refund or partial refund, that way if you take it somewhere else part of that charge is covered.

Unfortunely these things happen, and you just have to handle them as they come along. I ended up $2700 in the hole, but the car is back and runs good.

Good Luck

I agree with vetteboy. Definately take it back and ask what was used and the process. Ask for a refund as well. They most likely will try to dance around it. Ask for a manager. Still nothing, then roll your sleeves up and ask for corporate or the owners information to contact them directly. DO NOT let them do additional work on the car. Stand firm with them!

gmjunkie said:
Jeff, Ithink thay used Dr.GoBart's no Kink ****** Hair Stratener (Armoral or Equ.) Slimed that sh*t all over dash and put it in sun with window's up, it vaporized and got all over the back side of len's!! Thes A/holes around here do it and it's a Sticky mess and a Job to Take Dash apart and clean it!! Just as well do it your self or you'l have broken dash part's!!:W :W :W junk!!

I think that you hit the nail on the head junk. :dance

Time to borrow your hammer and go have a talk w/ them...:L

Thx for the advice guys, I'll try to keep a cool head whilst I lay down the law w/ 'em.

What a @#$!ing PITA!

If anybody has some experience w/ taking the dash apart pls chime in. It's really pretty bad, especially at night. It's tough to read the gauges. :mad

JEFNLSA said:
If anybody has some experience w/ taking the dash apart pls chime in. It's really pretty bad, especially at night. It's tough to read the gauges. :mad
It's not that bad if you pay attn. mostly little torx and clips!! I usaly do it when I'v got seat's and Console out, when I do a Retail Detail!!! I'l look, but the newest Diagram I have is 93 or 94. :upthumbs junk!!

Update!

Ok, I went by the detail shop after work and showed them the problem. They surprised the @#$! out of me cuz they (they being he - the manager) were all over it. He got the required torx & phillips tools out and w/ my help we pulled the dash apart & pulled the cover off. It turns out that it was badly stained on the outside w/ a bit of residue on the inside obviously caused by some form of Armor-All type product. Plastic is weird like that, you can't just clean that @#$! off w/ Windex (kinda like those faded plastic headlight covers you see). He brought the cover into his shop and used a high speed buffer & some kind of rubbing compound and...SUCCESS! The cover looks better than new. Whole job took less than an hour and now it almost looks like there is no cover there at all! I'll give him an A+ for customer service!

I was dreading going back there so thx for the push you guys. :)

Jeff :w

Yea man I clean them with Permatex Plastic Polish and a cotton Sock!!:upthumbs junk!!

WOW! Good customer service. That is rare these days. Glad it worked out. Guy

Glad everything worked out. Sometimes you get lucky, other times you have to fight like hell.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom