Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What to DO??

WNS532-66

Corvette
1966 Sunfire Yellow Convertible
I have had my 1966 Sunfire Yellow hardtop since i was 17 years old, it has 39,000 miles on it. BUT i got rid of the engine and transmission a few years after i bought it (i am such a dumb ARSE). I paid $1,550.00 for it in 1976 and now its time for a restoration, frame off.
The body is in fair shape after moving numerous times and a divorce, *((i kept the car))*.
Now for some advice!
1. Should i keep it the original color?
I'm thinking of the new 2006 yellow.

2. Should i powder coat the frame?
I am just about to make the leap of no return here in about 2 weeks, regarding the frame.

3. What is a good book to buy for re-assembly of the car?
i have the assembly manual but i would like another book to cross reference.

Jack

Welcome Jack

Congrats on having the car so long

Have you ever heard of the N.C.R.S? The reason I ask is before changing the color and powder coating the frame I would think long and hard about how you want to rebuild the car.

i know When I purchased my 66 all I wanted was a big block corvette and I was going to customize it the way I wanted it. After owning it for a while and getting a better understanding what the NCRS was all about I went about restoring my 66 to factory correct specs. Not quite done yet But I am getting closer.

So that being said.

My 66 is Sunfire Yellow and its a nice color, I guess the best way to describe it is Classical , But put it next to a newer vette in Yellow and it looks like a washed out color with no Pizzaz

As for powder coating it seams that's the best way to go as long as you dont plan on the NCRS route

As for books I am now spoiled with the assembly manuals that are available for the vettes I dont know how I would ever restore a car with out one

The NCRS "1966 Corvette Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide" is an excellent cross-reference to use with the Assembly Manual, as it describes lots of things in detail (like fasteners and finishes) that aren't in the Assembly Manual. Available from the on-line NCRS Store at www.ncrs.org.
:beer

IH2LOSE said:
My 66 is Sunfire Yellow and its a nice color, I guess the best way to describe it is Classical , But put it next to a newer vette in Yellow and it looks like a washed out color with no Pizzaz
I have the opposite opinion. The old yellow has class. The new cars look like lemons. IMO silver is the only color that a c6 looks good in - mostly because of the lumpy headlamps.

I agree with above post. Sunflower is a class color,,, to me the new Millenium Yellow looks more like the checker cabs. Keep the original color...but do it in Base and Clear Coat...I like PPG paint...

Well you've had th car 30 years so it doesn't sound like it will be a resto for sale job, plus the numbers matching drivetrain is gone.

What I would do is build it the way I wanted regardless of book value, purists, etc Paint it the color you will enjoy and build the drivetrain for your driving stlye, then drive it.

I would go with a 383, 5 speed,373 gears in a tuned posi, nice base/clear paint and keep the hd top on.

Good luck with your project, if you need any help let me know.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom