Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What Years Was the LS-4 Available?

Mr. Lucky

Corvette
2004 MY stroker Coupe
Question from a C5 refugee.

I know it wasn't a "powerhouse" (considering it's displacement), but I'm about to start shopping for my first C3, and was told this was the most desireable engine option. Please tell me if you disagree with that recommendation.

Thanx for the input.

I'm not sure why it was recommended either, but they wrote it down for me, no I know I got it right. I had assumed that it was either the most collectible or the most reliable. Whatever I ultimately get, the car will be driven - it's not going to be a museum piece.

Vettehead Mikey said:
1973-74 only.

Not sure why this engine would be recommended as the most desireable. Sure you don't mean LS6?
I agree, the advantage to post '70 cars is the motors will run on pump gas. If I remember correctly, the LS-6 had aluminum block and heads and was clearly the only low compression big block with any real juice from the factory but you will pay big $ for an original. The LS4 doesn't stand out in my mind if performance is the goal. I think you 1st need to decide whether you like the early chrome bumper sharks (personal preference) or the later sharks which have a lot more civilized cockpit/creature comforts. I like the small blocks 'cause they are easier to work on as the engine isn't shoehorned in and are still reasonably priced and with some well spent $ can put some exciting ft/lbs to the pavement.

lnirenberg said:
If I remember correctly, the LS-6 had aluminum block and heads
The only aluminum block BBC available in any Chevy automobile was the ZL-1 (427) in 1969. Two Corvettes and 69 Camaros. The LS-6 (454) had aluminum heads and an iron block.

73-74 Is one of the more desireable years because they were the last of the big blocks.... at least last for now :D. They are also relatively inexpensive compared to the earlier c3's with chrome bumps.

jdp6000 said:
There is a 1974 LS4 454 on ebay today....
It is not mine... but I would take a reasonable offer. I'm thinking about converting to a ZR1.

Oh and BTW... my LS-4 (auto) Toasted my buddies '02 (auto) vert. I pulled on him like a MOFO, and it sounds better. with 398 lbft of TQ, there is no substitute for displacement... do not count the LS-4 out 'til you drive one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom