Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What's the deal with signatures?

MaineShark

Corvette
1979 L82, 1987 Buick Grand National
Sometimes my signature appears at the bottom of my posts. Sometimes it doesn't. What gives?

Obviously, it has to do with the box being checked or not, but why do some forums default to showing it and others to not showing it?

Joe

Until recently, I believe the default was checked, always.

I didn't realize some forums defaulted on and other off though. :confused
I have noticed that Quick Reply defaults to checked, but regular Reply defaults to unchecked.

I believe it also will appear only once per page, regardless.

It's once per page, but no matter how you check the box in your profile, your posts (other then quick reply) will always default to no sig. . .

I think Rob is trying to save bandwidth. I can't say as I blame him! :)

I dunno what the deal is, but it may be fixed... my sig appears now, in any forum I've tried.

Joe

I believe that I have it set where signature appear when you start a new thread, and if you reply using the Quick Reply box....something I need to change. Any other time, when replying to a thread, you need to check the box to include your signature.

Yes, I too have the perplexing signature problem. I am wondering why they just don't allow signatures all the time? Perhaps because people place pictures of their car and their database and system can't handle it? As mentioned a possible bandwidth issue. This forum does seem to execute very fast and effectively. On the other hand, perhaps Rob can allow up to say five lines of signature text and NO graphics, smileys, etc. That might be a good compromise. Now, lets see if my signature appears below.

Craig

Z06ADCT said:
Yes, I too have the perplexing signature problem. I am wondering why they just don't allow signatures all the time? Perhaps because people place pictures of their car and their database and system can't handle it? As mentioned a possible bandwidth issue. This forum does seem to execute very fast and effectively. On the other hand, perhaps Rob can allow up to say five lines of signature text and NO graphics, smileys, etc. That might be a good compromise. Now, lets see if my signature appears below.

Craig
Trying again to check signature. I clicked on the "Show your signature" box below and hit the lower submit reply button.

Craig

Z06ADCT said:
Trying again to check signature. I clicked on the "Show your signature" box below and hit the lower submit reply button.

Craig
No signature appears now. Clicked the show sig box and this time hit the upper submit button.

Craig

There is an 'option' under your personal setting to turn off the display of signatures all together. That is my setting. With a forum of this size and the every increasing size of 'signatures', I sat my control panel option to not show any signatures. My own personal signature is rather short for those that want to see it - unless I turn it off as I did for this post.

Z06ADCT, a sig shows in post #9 (no pic, just a cute saying). I believe sigs will only show up once either per thread or per page. I'm not sure which. Anyway, since a sig showed up in #9, no other sigs will show in this thread.

Check your sig pic in the Proving Grounds Forum, that is what that forum is for, and if you have trouble...we'll try to help you out.
Heidi

78SilvAnniv said:
Z06ADCT, a sig shows in post #9 (no pic, just a cute saying). I believe sigs will only show up once either per thread or per page. I'm not sure which. Anyway, since a sig showed up in #9, no other sigs will show in this thread.

Check your sig pic in the Proving Grounds Forum, that is what that forum is for, and if you have trouble...we'll try to help you out.
Heidi
Heidi, I do not have a picture in my signature. Only my saying. The funny thing is that I can see the signature "text" in the "Preview Post" option, but when it does get posted, it does not show.

Craig

Z06ADCT said:
Heidi, I do not have a picture in my signature. Only my saying. The funny thing is that I can see the signature "text" in the "Preview Post" option, but when it does get posted, it does not show.

Craig
In every thread you post in and select your sig pic, or just this thread (posts #9, 10 and 11) where the sig only shows up in #9?

If you have already posted and selected your sig pic, it will only show once per thread/page no matter how many times you select the pic to show in the same thread.
An example is this thread, where your sig showed in #9, but not in #s 10 and 11, even though you certainly selected the sig to show.
Heidi

78SilvAnniv said:
In every thread you post in and select your sig pic, or just this thread (posts #9, 10 and 11) where the sig only shows up in #9?

If you have already posted and selected your sig pic, it will only show once per thread/page no matter how many times you select the pic to show in the same thread.
An example is this thread, where your sig showed in #9, but not in #s 10 and 11, even though you certainly selected the sig to show.
Heidi
Sorry for the miscommunication. I am NOT trying to post a pic in my sig. I am simply trying to get my signature to show. If it only shows once per thread, so be it. I was pointing out that befire I submit my reply, I can select the "Preview Post" button and see the signature, but when it posts, It does not show.

Craig

Craig,

As you figured out, and others have stated here... Signatures, be they photo's and text, just photo's or just text will only appear once per page. Your comment about some folks having signatures with photo's and a database is not that uncommon at a lot of other sites, here our members must be a bit more respectful, or at least a majority, because we don't have that many members with signatures longer than their response's... ;LOL

I don't know all the software issues to get our VBcode to select 3 or 4 lines of text over photo's for multilple signatures in a thread, I do know that I don't have that kind of talent..

I ran a test up in the proving grounds forum, It confirms the multiple signature thing... I could see my signature when selected, and previewed, but it would not post after the first time.

I know from my perspective, I prefer our setup to other sites, you see I'm not only a dino... but I'm still on Dail Up :( and probably will be for sometime.. I actually HATE computer changes/upgrades and computers in general ;)

Bud

I am "so" happy I stumbled across this thread!:D I am a new member and I mucked around making a "signature" and was pleasantly suprised when it appeared in my first post! And then it did not appear.:hb ...and then it did:) and then it did not:crazy....and then I redid it and messed around and still it did not appear :Silly then I took it out on my friend:bash and then I took it out on my computer:CRASH and "then" I stumbled across this thread and I understood....The signature shows up sometimes--maybe once each page---maybe once each thread, but not to worry because it happens to others as well and now I can go back to pretending I am busy in my office. :bar p.s.(I left out my signature on purpose!).

Roadster Guy said:
I am "so" happy I stumbled across this thread!:D I am a new member and I mucked around making a "signature" and was pleasantly suprised when it appeared in my first post! And then it did not appear.:hb ...and then it did:) and then it did not:crazy....and then I redid it and messed around and still it did not appear :Silly then I took it out on my friend:bash and then I took it out on my computer:CRASH and "then" I stumbled across this thread and I understood....The signature shows up sometimes--maybe once each page---maybe once each thread, but not to worry because it happens to others as well and now I can go back to pretending I am busy in my office. :bar p.s.(I left out my signature on purpose!).
Welcome to the CAC! I too was perplexed with signatures. Hopefully Rob will keep this thread for others to read. I don't really know how often they clean up old dead threads.

Craig

I'm glad I found this thread too. In fact I came looking for it! :L I was getting rather frustrated with my signature not posting in another thread although I was checking for the signature to post. :hb I didn't know what was going on! :confused If I couldn't find an answer in the forums, I was going to make a post to ask about it. :crazy Thanks for keeping this thread open. I know I haven't been posting much lately. I've been helping develop a web site for our local exotic bird club. If ya'll would like to take a look at it, it's located at http://www.trianglebirdclub.org By the way I'm adding my signature to this post.

Hugs,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom