Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats your Oil?

EYESOFTEX

Corvette
1972 Corvette (C3) LT1
Ok Everyone ,Here`s another easy one .whats kind of oil do you use in your stock corvette`s, street racer Corvette`s , strip corvette`s? I use chevon`s Dello 400 -30 weight in my older motor. With AC Delco stock filter. they work great for me :pat . what do you use in your corvette?:bu

EYESOFTEX

Valvoline 10-40 A/C Filter

Stock L-48 over 100,00 miles :D

In sunny Florida :cool

My Vette has 87k miles on it, I stated using the Valvoline Max Life oil. Use to have a few oil leaks but went away with use of the oil. Probably swelled gaskets or something.
Glad I found this oil.
If my vette had a newer engine, I would have used syn. oil in it.
Just a thought.
Good Luck
tony

Oil

:w they are good products.:pat I know different people use different product in there parts of the country, & differant types of weather. If i had a new motor or rebuilt mine i would use moblie 1 products. I know they work great in older motors too ,plus they cut down on that puff of smoke that comes from older motors with bad exhaust seals. but untill then I will stick to the regular motor oils , Well what others do allof you use?and why do you use them:cool

EYESOFTEX

I guess you like stirring the pot a little? First spark plugs, now oil! You're going to create a monster! haha

anyway. I was running regular mobil oil but now that I've done the rebuild, it's going to be nothing but Mobil 1. Most high end cars run on synthetic these days, so I'd have to go along with their thinking. It surely won't hurt!

Just an FYI. Back in the day I had an '68 camaro, with 45k on it and decided that syn. oil would be good for it. Needless to say it totaly spun the bearings. I will never make that mistake on another car that has used regular oil from birth.
Hope this helps you guys.
Start with syn, then stick with it, start with standard oil, stick with it Or learn from my mistakes.
Hope this helps you guys.
tony

why not use the best...

-While Valvoline is probably the best of petro-oils, and is better during 2k/break-ins; --anybody not using Mobil-1 perferably 15w-50 in this day and age is either ignorant or foolish, --anything else is only suitable for your morning-pancakes!!! Also found that using this particular syn-oil (not plant=based like others) actually makes old=engines use less oil after a couple thousand miles! Please don't waste you money changing this precious oil (Mobil-I) every 3kto5k-miles; -run mine permanently year after year, -only changing filter every 5k-miles (and throw-in a GM-additive)!!! Oh, -and toss the STP in the garbage where it belongs (geee, hope that is politically-correct)...
~B.vH:argue :SLAP :dance

But if you started out with regular motor oil. After all the miles. Do not use the syn. oil. Your asking for trouble. And mucho oil leaks.
OK.
TONY

oldace84 said:
Just an FYI. Back in the day I had an '68 camaro, with 45k on it and decided that syn. oil would be good for it. Needless to say it totaly spun the bearings. I will never make that mistake on another car that has used regular oil from birth.
Start with syn, then stick with it, start with standard oil, stick with it Or learn from my mistakes.
tony
Only reason that it spun the bearing was that it was ready too from running the regular oil. The change to syn oil did not have any effect on that. Just bad timeing.

oldace84 said:
But if you started out with regular motor oil. After all the miles. Do not use the syn. oil. Your asking for trouble. And mucho oil leaks.
TONY
No problems with changing to syn oil. Got my 90 Vette with 75,000 miles on it and changed over to Mobil 1, no problems. Also running Mobil 1 in my 73. Even in my lawn mower.
By the way, syn oil does not cuase leaks. If it is not leaking before syn oil it will not leak after syn oil.

This is from the Mobil 1 web site:
Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.
Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

tom...

Tom, in your quote from Mobil they all but admit that Mobil 1 can cause leaks in older engines.

What they actually said in their marketing speak, was that if the old seals weren't leaking because of the amount of seal swelling agents in the old oil, then it might leak with Mobil 1 but it's your fault because you didn't replace the seals before using Mobil One.

Short version: An old engine is more likely to develop leaks if you switch to synthetic, but it probably won't unless the seals are in really sad shape.

Dick

Dick,
Not really. They say that if it is not leaking then it should not leak with Mobil 1. But if you already have leaks, you need to fix them.

"If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine." But if the engine already has leaks... ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. "
(Bold and Italic added by me. tom73)

tom...

Tom, read the paragraph preceding the one you quoted.

"ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine. "

That is a setup for the paragraph you quoted. If you don't have a leak because the conventional oil's seal swelling agents are preventing a leak, then by Mobil's definition you have a problem and it's not their fault.

It's a simple fact that seals swell different amounts depending on what liquids they are in contact with. Mobil One has less of those swelling agents than some conventional oils.

If there was absolutly no problem, Mobil could simply had said "If your engine doen't leak now, it won't leak when you switch to Mobil One. " But they didn't because they can't gaurantee that.

Ask yourself whay they took three paragraphs to dance around the issue rather than make a simple one sentence statement.

Mobil is my prefered oil, but that doesn't mean I believe all their marketing hype.

Flared69 said:
I really should look into the best oils. But mobil1 is what I use - if its good enough for nascar...
All NWC/NBS/NCTS motors have fresh gaskets & seals ... & their crankcase pressures & oil scavenging systems are quite unlike a vette. Reliable scuttlebutt is that some use Mobil synthetic in their motors ... others not. However, same is not true about Mobil synthetic gear oil ... grapevine says Mobil synthetic burns up rear gears. RL shockproof (synthetic also) is good choice for rear gear. And ... just because there may be a sticker on the fender doesn't mean the product is aboard ... very few Comp Cams camshafts underhood in NWC/NBS/NCTS ... even though their sticker's on the fender.

Regarding street motors: I dunno where the age/mile line is drawn ... but changing to synthetic seems not the best choice for older / hi-mileage motors. Not the best choice as break-in oil either. For street motors, seems valid procedure is break in with dino oil, then swap to synthetic.
JACK:gap

I was told by an experienced 3rd generation machine shop owner never to switch to synthetic oil after using non synthetic. But you can go the other way. He recommended breaking in on normal oil and switching to synthetic after breakin. But never switching to synthetic in mid stream, that is to say after many miles of use. He told me what it does, and I cant remember but it wasnt a good thing I know that. So my feelings are synthetic after break in on a new motor, conventional oil in a higher mileage motor with an unknown history. Better safe than sorry. Changing oil often and using a good filter is the important thing. I use:

Mobil 1 as a synthetic in my shop,

Mobil conventional in everything else.

I use conventional Mobil in all the cars and trucks I own.

Corvettes summer 15 w 40

Corvettes winter 10 w 30

Everything else 10 w 40 summer 10 w 30 winter.

A/C Delco Filters.

I have never had any problems. Motors are clean as a pin inside and other than normal bearing wear, non of my motors when torn apart ever exibited any abnormal bearing wear .

I dont use motor oil to "fix" oil leaks I just fix them.

As long as the oil used has a good additive package in it it will work well. I stick with one brand...I dont mix brands.

So much for motor oil.

BTW I use STP when assembleing engines and it works well. Works good in very high mileage motors with excessive clearances and oil control issues too.

Of course your results may vary.

This is one of those subjects that no one will be able to agree on...so flame away!

:r

Later,

Taz

Hmmmm

Always used Valvoline and Wix filters because of the clean state of motors that I tore down after using the valvoline.
But this thread has me considering changing to Mobil1 or Valvolines synthetic after I break in the rebuild I'm doing.
In the trucking industry the Mobil synthetics are highly thought of due to clean oil (diesels really lay alot of waste in oil) and extended periods between changes. (15K miles for dino, twice for syn.)
Whats the "normal" period between synthetic changes?

tazdevl35 said:

I use conventional Mobil in all the cars and trucks I own.

Corvettes summer 15 w 40

Everything else 10 w 40 summer 10 w 30 winter.

A/C Delco Filters.

I have never had any problems. Motors are clean as a pin inside and other than normal bearing wear, non of my motors when torn apart ever exibited any abnormal bearing wear .

SAE J300 requires that 10W-40 oil only need perform at least as good as 30 weight oil in the high temp high shear test at 150C (high shear viscosity limit of 2.9 cP) while 15W-40 has to perform as well as 50 weight at the same temperature, ot 3.7 cP.

If you are using non-synthetic oil, you may be giving up a lot of high temperature protection by using 10W-40 instead of 15W-40.

Synthetic oils causing leaks has got to be one of the oldest wives tales going when it comes to oil. It does not cause leaks. The most important thing is to change your oil on a regular basis(3000 miles) and use a quality filter like AC-Delco.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom