Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Wheel Balancer and Tire Changer Advice

M

magoo

I want to buy a new wheel balancer and tire changer. I have an old Coats 20/20 now and a bubble balancer which is no longer sufficient. I am looking at the "Atlas" brand by Gregg Smith Equipment. I live close enough to pick up and save shipping. I was looking at the "Combo" including the WB-11 wheel balancer and TC-229 tire changer. I would appreciate any input or experience anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Mike

Anyone have any experience with these Atlas tire machines and balancers from Greg Smith Equipment. Plan on driving down tomorrow.

Mike

ok, one last try. No one has any tire changer or wheel balancer experience? I tried to search the forums for previous posts on this subject. Maybe I just didn't know how to find them. Anyway, sorry for askin.

Mike

Not many people have their own mounting and balancing equipment.
A friend of mind has an alignment shop on his property.
He has all Hunter equipment.
Before he went off on his own, he had been doing alignments for 20 years.
He bought the Hunter equipment because he considers it the best.

For the home owner, you don't need the best unless money is no object.

You may want to step up the quality of the balancer.
For an extra $500, you can get their top of the line.
I'd at least step up to the computerized model.

For the tire changer, make sure it can handle any rim and tire combination you plan to ever use. My friend gets tire mounting business from other shops because they can't handle some of the large wheels with those "rubber band" tires.

Thanks for the reply and the input. I'm going to upgrade from a bubble balancer to the WB-11 digital spin balancer, and from an old Coats 20/20 tire machine to the rim clamp TC-229. I found several satisfied Atlas users on other forums and for my use they seem like the way to go. The Greg Smith near me was out of the WB-11, and they got some in today. Trailer is hooked up and ready to go, they're open til noon tomorrow.

Mike

I have a Coats 20/20 in my garage! By any chance do you have any spare parts or a manual? (I need the air gauge - mine was busted long ago!)
I also have a Hunter Tune-In on-the-car wheel balancer that's taking some practice to master! The old bubble balancer is much easier but not the world's most accurate.

I do not have the manual or spare parts. The only thing mine needs is also the pressure gage. You can find almost anything for it on ebay. I found a new gage for $47.99, but I wasn't sure I wanted to pay that much. The item# is 120569366007 if your interested. I've also found a complete rebuild kit for the pneumatics, and the nylon protectors for over the tire iron to protect aluminum wheels. Mine is pretty original. If I can help you with any pictures or other info let me know.
When I was in the garage business long ago, I had the Hunter on car balancer. It will do a good job, but it is so hard to use. Especially since disc brakes. It's not good to have anything dragging when you are balancing. The bubble balancer always worked well for me even when I was in the bussiness. It's only the last couple years on newer, lighter front wheel drive daily drivers like my daughters Cavalier that the bubble isn't good enough.
I did buy the Greg Smith Equipment Atlas Combo with the TC229 tire changer and WB11 balancer and I like it very much. I'll never use it enough to pay for it but at least I know I can balance my wheels right. And it looks good in my shop. If I sell my old equipment, it won't be as big an investment.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the gauge tip!

If you browse back in this forum you'll find my original thread about the Motorhead Lounge - my garage build starting in 2007 (and continuing to this day). My big splurge: a Rotary 10000lb 2-post in-ground lift! I just got tired of doing everything on my back and if I was gonna do it, do it right and do it once! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom