Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheel Bearing

Corvette
1987 Z52 Black Convertible
I think i have a bad right rear wheel bearing. Every time i hit a bump in the road it sounds like something is "loose" and moving around. It's really hard to explain. Can any of you tell me if this is what it is, and if so how hard is it to change? Thanks

There are quite a variety of things which could cause this problem, from a loose shock to a u-joint failing to... well, pretty much every moving part in the IRS. If you're not comfortable with getting under your car and shaking things until you find the problem, take it in for a 4 wheel alignment and, as part of the process, they'll check everything for you.

Good luck!! :)

If you want to determine if the wheel bearing is bad jack the car up and tug on the tire. If there is play in the tire then most likely the wheel bearing is bad. The tire will feel loose. Try this first then let me know.

Sounds like the bearing. Its a one-piece sealed unit, so you cant fix it.
Costs between $150 and 250 to replace depending on who makes it.

Jack up the rear wheel, grab at 12-6 and try to rock it, if it moves the bearing is bad.

Grabbing it at 9-3 would indicate rear tie rod wear.

Rear end rattle or clunk

I had two noises from the rear of my '95.
The big clunk was the flat spare tire rattling in its carrier. Inflating it and properly tightening the carrier got rid of that one.
The other was much more difficult. I never could pinpoint the source. Then one day my wife was riding with me and said, "The rear compartment cover (the window blind cover thingie) sure does rattle." Sure enough that was it.
Check the shock mounts too. A missing or damaged bushing will make an awful racket.
Can you tell? I look for the cheap stuff first.
Hope this helps.

I noticed a clunk/rattle after a recent 700 mile trip. Turned out the weld at the drivers muffler mount broke loose. Got it rewelded at the muffler shop for $10.

:pat

Hey Vette Newb, Thats a fine looking ride you got there. :_rock You'res Red interior?

:CAC

I jacked it up and the tire does move at 12 and 6. I called Auto Zone and a new one is $149. Now is this really hard to change?

wheel bearing replacement

Easy repair. Just four bolts. Run away from Auto Zone, they sell cheap imported bearings. Spend the extra buck and get the AC Delco originals. They are good USA quality bearing I think made by Timkin in Canton Ohio.

Hrtbeat1 said:
I noticed a clunk/rattle after a recent 700 mile trip. Turned out the weld at the drivers muffler mount broke loose. Got it rewelded at the muffler shop for $10.

Hey Vette Newb, Thats a fine looking ride you got there. :_rock You'res Red interior?

TY

Yes, its red. :)

Vette_Newb said:
TY

Yes, its red. :)
It's a good think we don't park next to each other. Might get confused. Till you pop the hood. Your engine looks sharp. I'll get to mine one of these days.

One of the first things I did when I first bought my C4, was to change the rear bearings. My '69 taught me well.

tony

I replaced my wheel bearings about 3 months ago using skf brand from p-boys made in germany. looked to be a very well made unit. My question is what size socket is needed for hub nut removal- 3 months ago was too long to remember.also I borrowed a socket, this weekend I'm replacing my 3:45 with 4:10's so I will buy the correct socket.thanks.

I just did mine. It's a 36mm socket.

I was surprised how relatively easy it was to do. I finished both sides in about three hours. Of course, the first one took two hours, the second was much faster!

Barry

I am lucky enough to have a good Crovette mechanic close to my house, he did my right rear in about 25-30 minutes and charged me $65. If I felt more comfortable with the car on jack-stands I would have tackled it myself. :)

Hey Vette_Newb...........How about giving me your mechanics name or phone #. Looking for a good one around here. My regular guy is more into rice tuning lately. He sure is itchin' to get a chance to work on mine, tho. Scary! :(

Gordon

unleadedbrew said:
Hey Vette_Newb...........How about giving me your mechanics name or phone #. Looking for a good one around here. My regular guy is more into rice tuning lately. He sure is itchin' to get a chance to work on mine, tho. Scary! :(

Gordon
That is scary, next thing you know he has a 4ft aluminum wing on your deck lol.

It's Corvettes of North Texas. 1719 W Division in Arlington.
817-801-4754 or 817-247-7617
He salvages alot of C3's and some C4's. Real nice guys over there. Not much of a waiting room though hehe.

Hey! That's Darrell! I know him already, but I've never talked to him about mechanical work, just P & B. He's gonna do my paint when I'm ready. Very nice guy. I drool just walking thru his shop. Thanks :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom