Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where do you put your jack stands ?

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
I'm trying to replace the rear gear oil in my '04, just bought the car about 5 weeks ago and am still trying to get "indoctrinated" into the C5 scene. I see the jacking locations in the manual but they don't say where to put jackstands. I understand placement is critical. Can someone please tell me where the common place to put the stands is in front and rear ? This obviously requires two support spots at each corner. One for the jack, one for the stand so I can move the jack to another corner. I have Ramps but they look way too steep to get a C5 up them w/out dragging the front air dam, I suppose I could try to back up them to raise the rear's though . Besides they are currently in use on another of my beaters :) .

Thank You !!

T

ToolGuy

I used Rhino ramps when I changed my trans fluid and always when I do my oil. You can drive up on them, the corner air damns drag but not as bad as the old metal ramps.

Since I have a manual trans, I do not like to drive up since if I give it too much gas I can over shoot the ramp! Therefore I jack it up first and then put the ramps under the tires, than I let it down on the ramps.

For the trans fulid I did the above for the rear wheels and jacked up the front end until level with the rear.

The Rhino ramps are low profile and I used them for my PT Cruiser, all my cars for that matter now.

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
Hmmm....
The wood block method is definitely a convenient one but the stands seen too close together in the rear to provide a lot of stability. Seems if someone leaned heavily on the car it might tip downward. I'll probably look for a set of Rhino ramps and use a combination of the two methods.

Pseudomind and ToolGuy, Thanks for the info !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom