Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which crate engine for my 80 Shark?

B

BigBrakeFuelie

Hey I was interested in some opinions about what engine I should put in my corvette.I have an automatic tranny 350 and a stock rear.I`m looking for some good off the line performance just for the street.I`m out here in California so I need to pass smog.
I`ve heard the 383stroker is a good motor with lots of torque and it has worked well for other shark owners. Also the local AutoZone has a Series 2 350 engine that they tell me produce 300 horsepower.Just looking for some opinions.thanks.

If you can afford the stroker go for it. At least I would. There is potential for close to 500hp and the thing has some mean torque for the street. Plus a warranty!

just my .02

I heard Summit racing is the way to go as far as price goes.I was told that I could get a 383 short blk. for around $2000.

Crate motor...

I have know a few people that are very happy with there GM crate motors. GM is selling a number of great motors of various HP rating for any pocketbook. I have also heard that they give a very good warranty and stand behind all they sell. If I need a crate anytime soon for my 64 I have looked into the 350-330HP, complete from carb to pan for around 3K. Sounds like a great deal to me.

Crate Motors-GM

We have sold several of those 330 hp crate motors Lucy64 spoke of.You can get that particular package with intake-carb-dist,basically a complete drop in.Or you can get the same package less intake and distributor for about a grand less.Our customers have been very pleased with that particular engine package.Its hard to beat for the money.I am going to go with a GM crate motor when I update my power train.The high torque 383 crate engine is the hot ticket right now.A GM performance catalog at your local dealer for about $ 6.95 will provide you with up to date part#'s and performance data.

Dave

to crate...or not to crate

BigBrakeFuelie - welcome to the CACC :CAC

Curious as to what is in your '80 now ??...LG4/L48/L82...and the reason you're looking to swap out motors.

Seems there are so many crates to choose from, first thing to consider is the budget thing.

I just spent 4 days at Bowling Green for the NCM Labor Day Celebration/Sharkfest and had the opportunity to hang out with one of the Moderators for the C3 forum here at the CACC, Mike.
Think he goes by 6974. This guy is who I'd direct the question to. :BOW The man knows his stuff and can help you out.

We can recommend some exotic stuff, but the $$$ aren't coming out of our pockets either...and maybe your motor is still healthy and a few "mods" might get you where you want to get to for a lot less $$$...unless it's the LG4-305 like mine. :(

Whichever way you go, keep me posted...and let me know if you want to get out for a breakfast run sometime, as I occasionally get out with a couple of 81's and an 82. We are in the Modesto/Manteca/Sonora area.

Love those Sharks !! :J :upthumbs :J

ah...Stingray6974 ....that's it. Sorry Mike :duh ...still recovering from BG (blender games) :drink

Blackdog-Thanks for the reply.My car came with the LG4 305 but since has been replaced with a GM 350 Target replacement engine. I don`t know the hp. reading on it since I haven`t had it dynoed.I`m all for Mods. if you can suggest some things I could do to my current engine that would be great.I really want better throttle response and some good low end torque.I don`t need a 500hp monster but around 300 horse would be nice.thanks.

to re-crate, or not to re-crate...that is the question !!

BigBrakeFuelie - at least pulling the 305 was the right start, as I've gone to a lot of sites asking "small block gurus" from coast to coast if there was any real hope for turning 300HP from the 305...they all said to go to a 350 crate. So now is to figure out what you have in there now and then place a $$$ figure for what you want to spend, then we can get Stingray6974 to chime in with some suggestions.
Did you put in the Target motor, or the prior owner ? If you can get ahold of any of the paperwork, that might clue us in on what we're starting with, since there are a few different HP ratings for the Target motors. Maybe, if you have one of the 250HP motors, it could be bumped up with a cam/intake/carb package from Edelbrock...and then some Flowmasters to finish it off.
Think you can go to Edelbrock.com and get a ballpark cost for some of those packages.
Corvette Express in Vacaville can probably turn you on to a good engine shop too. Ask for "Uncle Vinnie" - I don't have the ph# on hand.

DawG

Mr.Blackdog- I didn`t put the Target motor in myself the previous owner did that.I did put a high flow Cat plus flowmasters on the car and that helped some. I`m not sure but it doesn`t feel like 250 hp. my guess is I got about 190 hp.

Mr.Blackdog- I glad you brought up modifying my current engine because that`s what I wanted to do in the first place.But when I walked in to my local Corvette shop here in Rancho Cordova,(Corvette Word) and asked them about beefing up my car they looked at me like I was from outer space.They basically said there`s nothing I can do because of Cali`s strict smog laws.
As far as my paperwork for my engine I don`t have any documentation.
I would be willing to spend about $2000 for mods. if I could get a good solid hp. increase and stay legal.I did find another Corvette shop (Corvette Care) and they are pretty cool their the ones who recomended the 383 stroker.

BigBrakeFuelie,

I think your on the right track on your engine but as blackdog points out and at least one of your shops, smog certification in California is tough. Make sure you get hooked up with a shop that will guarantee smog certification or otherwise you could be out all of the money you are thinking of spending and not have anything to show for it.

Now for this thing of calling Blackdog Mr. Now I know his picture makes him look old and wizened but trust me, it's not true. Last I saw him at Bowling Green he was firing up a blender and getting ready to kill the remainder of his brain cells. :drink

Dog, glad you made it back. That one post about the sunrise/set is what makes a long distance trip worthwhile. It was great to get to meet you, and everyone else, and am glad you made it back in one piece.

Bob

Mister ??? - hahaha

BigBrakeFuelie - ol' bobchad brings up the most important consideration of all - gotta satisfy the Smog Nazis :hb If the shops you've talked to :argue say it can't be done, take a run to Corvette Express in Vacaville and talk to Joe or Vinnie, as they had recommended, at the time I was thinking of doing a swap out, looking around for an L82 motor...doing a few add-ons, and stopping there....and staying smog-legal. :J :J :J
Does Corvette Care say you will pass smog if you go with the 383 stroker ? - if so, depending on the cost of the motor, the cost for the R&R, plus about $500 just for incidentals that don't come to mind right now...you're way over $2000.
Now, another question...because there might be another totally different option for you to look at...that can be done for $2000 or less. What about looking at swapping the TH350 for a 700r4 and also changing the 3.08's in the rear to 3.55 or 3.70's ?? There has been a thread here by a guy in Sac that did this trans swap for about $1200. The 700r4 has a lower 1st than the TH350...and coupled with 3.55's or 3.70's in the rear...that should give you a pretty good launch to play around with, then you also have the advantage of the overdrive to cruise with.
Just another idea, since I was once caught up in the need for more HP until Rare81 asked me what the hell I was going to do with it....the Salt Flats ??...or the WinterNationals ?? He had a good point. The 1980 wasn't any kind of beast to begin with, but as it is, it's a great-looking cruiser that you still get alot of looks with...even with my 305. Aside from us, who knows it's not some higher HP 350 ?
If $$$ aren't the limiting factor, go for the 383... if it can pass smog, and look at the trans swap too.
Oh, by the way, as Bob mentioned, you can just call me "the DawG".

While you're still looking at all the options, how about hooking up on a breakfast run. There's a place in Angels Camp, Daves Place, right on 49 just south of the high school. Anytime. :D

brain cells ??? ... WHAT brain cells ???

all real blenders have pulse :J :drink :beer :drink :J

Dawg- yeah I`ve considered changing the tranny and the rear. That may do the trick and I won`t have to stress about passing smog. I`m starting to lean that way. especially when I researched a little and found out that my ratio is 3.08. No wonder I want more off the line!
Yeah lets do a breakfast run sometime that sounds like it would be fun.
As far as looks go, your right people not only look at my car they stop and ask me ? about it at red lights and signs.Some even ask to buy it, what year is that? etc. I`d be lying if I said I didn`t like it.
I gotta admit this, when I went to buy it as soon as I saw the vette I went brain dead! Everything I was gonna check I just was hypnotized by the vette gods. I`m sure I`m not the only one to have this condition.

make that "Mister DawG "

:duh - Bob...have mercy and take notice of the time of the post...3:43 AM :z ... DawG was obviously in a state of blender deprivation :drink and was operatiing solely on iced-tea.
Shoulda been Jolt Cola for the extra caffeine :gap Please accept my humble apology !! :BOW :BOW :BOW

BigBrakeFuelie - Don't feel bad :( , when I bought my '68....way back in '73 ... at the wise ol' age of 20 ... I was driving back to the base west of Phoenix one Sunday afternoon when I saw this orange beauty that had my name all over it. So, I blow thru a red light, make an illegal left turn and pull into this lot. It was :love at first sight ... and I knew this was just meant to be !! :_rock So, the salesman comes out and before he says a word, I ask him "how much" ... he says "let's take it out for a drive", I say "I don't need to, how much ?" - He throws out something around $3600, and I give him $100 to hold it until I can get to the Credit Union the next day (Monday). Well, to keep the story short - I get this couple I've just met to co-sign for me and I had my "68 427/3x2 4-speed ! :J :J :J Life was Pure !
Well, in the first 8 months, it was rebuild the motor, new trans, new rear end ... :bash ... and eventually, after 4 years, it sucked every $$$ I had, and I still had a ways to go ... so I sold it ... :cry
Didn't have a lot of $$$ to work with as an E-3 in the USAF.
So, your not the only one to get bit by that fever ! :L :L :L

It almost happened again when I found the BLACKDOG, but I did alot more inspecting this time around, and this one is going to be in the barn for a long time !! :beer

Re: make that "Mister DawG "

BLACKDOG said:
:duh - Bob...have mercy and take notice of the time of the post...3:43 AM :z ... DawG was obviously in a state of blender deprivation :drink and was operatiing solely on iced-tea.
Shoulda been Jolt Cola for the extra caffeine :gap Please accept my humble apology !! :BOW :BOW :BOW

That's more like it. :s

I'm in the same position you are. Up-grades to the engine I have [L-82 Auto, 3.08 rear} or crate. Need more h/p at this elevation but still have to stay smog legal with the 80. I would hate to buy a $3 to $4K engine, remove old and install new to find out it wouldn't pass Colo. emisions. If someone could chime in that has installed a crate motor and passed tough emissions that would be great.
Keep us informed what you do.

Whew !

Thanks for forgiving me, your bobchad-ness :BOW :BOW :BOW
DawG will finally be able to :drink again !!!

8T8T2 - wish I had an L82. :cry
So, you gotta deal with the smog nazis too, eh ? Man, this is getting to epidemic proportions !!

DawG >:grinshot <Smog

Personally, if it were the LG4 or L48, I wouldn't have as much problem swapping them out, but I'd look at keeping the L82 ... if I had one.

Where oh where is Stingray6974 ???

Yeah man I think maybe we could cause more problems by trying to fix something that isn`t broke. Here in Cali their real strict and it`s gonna get even worse according to the recently passed legislation.
I would do a new engine if I knew 100% I was gonna be legal. I`m gonna talk to my local Corvette shop and see what kind of assurance they can give me on this.

P.S. I wish I had an L82! That engine should have 230hp.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom