Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which Exhaust?? Corsa\Borla

Crispyc21

Corvette
2002 Black Z06
I need to choose between a CORSA LT1 Power Pulse Exhaust System (Ecklers #38591) $900, or a Borla Performance Mufflers (Ecklers #30942) $520.
The Corsa is the entire exhaust system and the Borla are just the y-pipes\mufflers. I don’t know which one I should get. My vette mechanic, who’s opinion I greatly respect, says to go with the Borla. It’s a better buy for the money. The Borla will give me about 13 HP increase and sound good for $520. Where as the Corsa cost $400 more and I will not get that much extra HP out of it. And the sound would be about the same.
I do go for long trips, about six hours drive, every other month or so. Therefore I don’t want something that will make me lose my hearing. I am also not going to mod my car that much after this. I am just going to add the HyperTech Power Chip and thermostat (160 degrees). The only mod I have now is the K&N filter. I may go for the open-lid but I am not sure yet. Any ideas??

Mad-Mic

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Redskin Red Coupe
i don't know.......lol

i'm in the same boat you are....i just bought an 87 coupe thats bone stock with 33k in miles on it and looking to mod it. i know full exhaust including headers is what i'm interested in. i already been looking at C-4 sites and trying to get a good ideal about how much different a vette is from an Z/28 just takes some learning and good input from others! Can't wait cause while i'm in florida for the gator nationals my vette will be in the shop getting some stuff done....hehe ;)

my new saying is...lose a girlfriend (after 2 years with a 10 min phone call) buy a vette!...lol

fastglass95

Corvette
1996 LT4 coupe + 2004 Z06 Z16
Corsa!

Check this thread: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7611

Your not going to gain any noticable horsepower with ANY exhaust system alone. Must group with other mods to notice any gains (air intake, thermostat,ect.,)

Buy an exhaust based on your sound preference is the best solution. Try to hear a Vette in person with various exhaust systems if you can.

I do recommend the Corsa over most others based on fit and finish, ease of installation, all stainless steel construction, will last longer than your car! But most of all, the sound is very pleasing on road trips, no drowning noise or resonance, great idle, and becomes louder with a pressing of that pedal on the floor.

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
If your mind is not completely closed to suggestions other than those two, check out the tunable exhaust system from Power Effects. Give Joe Markovicz a call. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
I've had the same question that crispy had for quite some time and I've looked at the Ecklers' and Mid-America catalogs. I think the real drag here is that Corsa forces you to buy the system while Borla, you can just get the mufflers. I think that would make a big difference because you're talking from $500 to $900, which is quite a difference in money.

Crispyc21

Corvette
2002 Black Z06
BullWinkle said:
I've had the same question that crispy had for quite some time and I've looked at the Ecklers' and Mid-America catalogs. I think the real drag here is that Corsa forces you to buy the system while Borla, you can just get the mufflers. I think that would make a big difference because you're talking from $500 to $900, which is quite a difference in money.

You are correct. That is a big price difference. I like the price of the Borlas but I like the tips of the Corsas. I don't know what either of one sounds like. I wish I could find a site that I could hear them. My buddy is looking at pipes for his Harley and he is able to find wav files of the different sounds. My dream would be to get the PowerEffects system but that is just to much money. What was your solution (I've had the same question that crispy had for quite some time)?

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
Haven't solved it yet, but...

I do believe that I'm going to go with the Borla's and try to find the rest of the exhaust used. The current exhaust has been on there for the 14 years of the cars life and though it's rusted, it's not leaking or anything like that.

I don't necessarily need stainless steel since I don't drive in the rain that much and certainly not snow. I am looking to make a decision within a month though.

Full Bull

crispy...check out the muffler eliminators...there's a website where a vette owner's got some sound files of his 95/96 vette, idling and revving.....sounds great! They only run around $135-$145.....are a cinch to install. Check it out....may save yourself beau coup bucks!

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
I do know the Borlas sounds incredible and I like the straight oval tips Id go with the Borla bud, your still getting a high performance muffler here so take the extra 400 bucks and spend it on something like a computer/cold ait intake or some other little performance item

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
BigRed is exactly right. If you don't need the new exhaust tubing, why spend $400 for something that you already have and that can still be used? $400 could get you some cool mods!

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
I think this is kind of a little arm twisting by Corsa. If they offered just the muffler package like Borla, they would sure have a lot more customers.

J

johnny

Crispy,

I'll think it depent on what you further do with your performance. With a stock engine the Borla will do fine, but I am not sure about the performance. When I bought my 86 vette, it had a '91 engine and borla exhaust muffelers, it run only 200hp on the dyno......that's no power increase.

Now I have a 2,5" B&B tri-flow system, but I do not know what the performance increase would be on a stock engine.

I do know that this what I now have is recommended by several tuners, they say it easy manage 700hp.

I have 1 3/4" tpis headers and NO cats. hehehehe

john

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom