Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which Mod first ???

djones14

Corvette
1997 silver coupe
Ok I need some input from you experts out there.

What should I do first ???

1. Replace exahust with after market (corsa) right now just from rear axle back.

2. Either get a hypertuner or get ithe computer programmed by a pro.

Looking for some help !!!

Car is 97 C5

Go for the exhaust. You will enjoy it the minute you start your car. I installed the Borla Stinger quad and love it!

The cars are wickedly fast stock - drive it a while and see what ya think.
THEN make performance mods as required by your results.

Pick up some nice outer and interior mods like colored or stainless or chromed lettering, painted calipers, new rotors(drilled and slotted maybe), rims and tires, tigershark nose, tint, Z06 screens and rear brake ducts, etc

For the engine, easy bolt on mods can be a catback exhaust, new airfilter(K&N or replace the whole thing with a Ramair or Breathless airbox. Can replace the stock airbridge and collar easy too.

After that, ya get serious into heads and tuning and custom headers, and the like. $$$$$

Interior stuff like custom colored sets, center arm rest, shift boot, cup holders, lloyds floor mats, aluminum guage cluster frames, replace your LED lights under the panels with newer, brighter, colored LEDs, and more.

THen you can move on to the engine dress up kits.. custom painted or carbon fiber or chromed/billet engine cover pieces, hood inserts, etc etc etc

it never ends!!!!
Rain hehehe :D

djones14 said:

1. Replace exahust with after market (corsa) right now just from rear axle back.

Car is 97 C5
Put the exhaust on first. In fact, with just an aftermarket exhaust as the only mod, you may not need reprogramming. Corsa and Flowmaster make nice exhausts and...there are many others.

I know with many other products, other than cars, that if tampered with or modified will void warranty's. Is this true regarding the mods on your Corvette? Will making non-GM changes void the warranty?

Thanks

Nevets2004 said:
Will making non-GM changes void the warranty?
NO (at least not in the US). The Magnuson-Moss Act prevails, which basically states that the aftermarket part has to be directly responsible for the failure in order not to be covered by warranty. IOW... adding a supercharger and then trying to get GM to cover a blown tranny might be a problem, but adding an aftermarket catback would in no way impact your warranty claim on the transmission (for example).

Corsa is a GM approved after-market exhaust for Corvette and will in no way void your warranty.If the dealer tries to say that the exhaust caused the ABS module to go bad for example, he is going to have to prove it.

yellow_2002_germany said:
Corsa is a GM approved after-market exhaust for Corvette and will in no way void your warranty.If the dealer tries to say that the exhaust caused the ABS module to go bad for example, he is going to have to prove it.
Of course I know that a new exhaust system will not effect ABS, what I'm concerned about is if a particular mod such as adding Ramair, causes some kind of an air-flow related engine problem, GM can always say that the after market mod did not conform to their specs, and I'm outta luck. It's just that I've seen too many warranty's carrying a warning that says they will be void if tampering of anykind is done.

Even if the after market mod does adhere to GM's specs, it doesn't mean that the installation could have caused a problem somewhere else that's difficult to prove.

I guess I should just shutup and read my warranty for any "gotchas."

Does anyone have any warranty horror stories regarding after market modifications?

I want to argue the other side of these modifications, just so you hear another point of view. The stock Corvette is pretty strong the way it is. Changing out the exhaust will not gain you that much power. Change it for how it sounds or looks, but you will not gain that much HP. In order to get a significant HP increase, it will be necessary to deal with the entire intake and exhaust as systems. Long tube headers, high flow cats, cat back exhaust, lower restriction intake (I like VaraRam), etc will help. Also, understand that the aftermarket is quite willing to sell you stuff that won't increase power. They will also make claims of "up to 10 HP increase", but don't think that if you throw three of those "up to 10 HP increase" mods, that you will end up with 30HP increase total. It will not work that way.

As far as the tuning goes, I have read posts by c4c5 (very knowledgeable) that lead me to believe that tuning can come at a price. Higher HP may come with less low end torque. Also, when a program update is installed by the dealer, the other program can be lost. I encourage you to look at modifications as systems, and to consider power tuning carefully. There really is no "low hanging fruit" with the C5. Just my $0.02.

djones14 said:

Car is 97 C5
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
First thing I did was put a Donaldson Blackwing on mine...simple and cost effective...made a nice difference...:beer

Exhaust I recomend Corsa Pacecare. Corsa has the best hit finish and sound!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom