Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which Mufflers

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
Well after reading all the threads about mufflers, I think I am no closer to a decision then I was before reading. I have muffler eliminators now, and dont really like the WOT sound. At idle, it is mean, but above 2000 RPM's it sounds like a beater pickup truck. I want the car to sound like a sports car. I have little backpressure, so I want something to give me some backpressure but sound good.

I have been looking at the flowmaster 50 series on summit, for like $107 each. Also there is Dynomax super turbo exhaust. They are 260 for the pair. I looked in mid america, and there prices are higher, and less of a selection.

I guess my question is which system is louder, more of a throaty sound. I like the car loud, but not like an old beater pickup. Does anyone have a set up like this on there car I could possibley listen too. Or does anyone else have a suggestion. I would like to stay under 300 bucks.

Craig

true duals

we no longer have vet testing here where I live so I put true dual exhaust on my 86 and for mufflers I used napa quite flows and got a real good sound. It sounds a lot like chamber exhaust. Every one who hear's it says it sounds real mean. I have a few mods to the old L98. I paid $53.00 for the mufflers each and they fit perfect. I don't normally like to use napa but their exhaust is made by walker and it seems to be good. I've had them on now for 8 months and no problems....Good luck...Bob Yates

Have you checked out Magnaflow? I think I heard someone here talk about their system. It's stainless and somewhere in the low $300 area.

91 L98

I had the same issue more or less i went with true dual no cats from manafold back with 40 series flowmasters in the rear. Ok i drove it over the weekend and the noise inside the car was unbearable at about 3-4 thou rpms went back to muffler shop had him put an H pipe in and 2 18 inch glass packs. Now u can talk to the other person next 2 u n still has a racecar sound not like the racecar sound it did have but still enough to scare off techno cars n mustangs its a never ending battle there has to be tradeoffs ether inside or out as far as sounding like an old pickup truck i dont think any vette would simply because a truck will sound like a truck and a car like a car i know ppl will lt1s in their 4X4 n they dont sound like a vette anyway hope i helped email me if i can help u ne more

How much did the charge for that H pipe? If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a system with an x pipe or something. I was a little younger and more foolish.

Bob, do you have a part number or anything for those mufflers. I might go a cheaper route, so I can replace the whole system a few years down the road when the motor is rebuilt. I also wonder what the return policy is. If i put them on and didn't like the sound could I return them.

THanks

I have a custom exhaust set-up on both the 86 and the 95. The rear Y-pipe is split, or Y-piped again to allow for a duel glass-pack muffler set up on each side with chrome stinger tips. I think it sounds great. Deep tone, not too loud but loud enough people know you mean business.

[font=&quot]I have a Flowmaster Force two cat back system. Rumbles real nice at idle, stand on it and roars. Running at highway speeds nice and quit you can carry on a conversation until you jump on it. It has a bit of reasonce at 45 with a light load but not bad. I really like them and it comes with a nice 3” Y pipe all mandrel bent. I bought mine at a local speed shop Mid America has them also.[/font]

Total for the entire exhaust on mine including 2 flowmasters 2 glasspacks H pipe true duels from the manafold back everthing was $340

My 2Cents

I went to a Corvette club meet and listened to the varouis systems that were there. If I had the money I would do the Corsa System. It is quite at idle and normal acceleration. The owners reported the cabin was quite at road speed. With that said I was following a couple of cars with this system and thought they had stock systems until they went WOT and boy what a sweet sound.

I recently had 2 1/2" duals with a cross-over pipe installed on my '88. I used V-force mufflers (2 1/2" inlet, dual 2 1/4" outlets). I gotta tell ya I love em!
Nice big block sounding rumble at idle. A fantastic high performance sound at WOT. There is some resonance, but I don't care. You can still have a conversation in the car or hear the stereo. It sounds mean.

http://www.flopro.com/VForce.htm

I have a set of Dynomax stainless steel dual flow mufflers and their Y-pipe with a connector. My car is an '91 L98 automatic.

The exhaust sounded great at idle, but surprisingly, it's not that much louder than the stock exhaust at normal cruise speeds. It does have resonance between 1,700-2,000 RPM, when the tranny goes to overdrive at very light throttle openings and uphill. Weird. I installed Dynomat Ultra sound deadening material in the hatch area and the resonance was reduced noticeably....but it's still there, just muffled.

Not sure if this pic shows it but it's the best I have with the mufflers showing.

muffler #'s

V.B.86....Here are the part numbers....22396 and 22397 Napa Quite Flow . I have to tell you my job before I retired was an automotive parts buyer so parts place's I know still give me discounts or whole sale pricing. As far as returns it's left up to who you buy them from. Work that out at the time of your purchase....Good Luck....Bob Yates

I just had a ride in my buddys 69 Camaro tonight, he jus trebuilt it with a GM ZZ4 crate motor and full dual exhaust with flowmaster 40's.

My god they are loud, I really don't like them, he even has an H pipe in and you can't talk in the car.

But what a motor, it pulls like ragin ape.

Stay away from the 40's

Mart

THanks guys for all the responses. At this time I am unsure what I will do. I might try those parts that Bob Yates has provided, because they are cheap, and might just get the job done. When I update the engine and exhuast, a different kind of muffler would be needed.

Right not I do not want to spend alot of money, but I do want the car to sound decent. I guess there is a happy medium I am looking for. I am going to continue to shop for a few days, because I want them on before BG. If any more ideas arise, let me know.

Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom