Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

who gets the best gas milage out of their C4?

• Thread starter Thread starter 88canadianvette
  • Start date Start date

88canadianvette

i get 23 mpg average after i changed my ac delco plugs to the bosch platinum +4's

Mileage

I get 15-16 in a local college town with horrible traffic. But then on the Jersey flats on the way to AC, 29 - 30 is normal when it's cool. The air conditioning takes off about 2mpg.
And all this with a US gallon, not the 9% larger imperial gallon.
Traffic and hills really influence mileage, as much as getting on it once in a while.

after 2800 miles from last oil chane (getting another done this week) i keep the trip reset for every oil change so i know when i need it. i averaged 20 mpg pretty solid! not to bad for almost 50/50 city hwy and a good romp a few times :D

On a 5200 mile road trip last summer, I averaged 24.4 for the whole trip. That included city, mountains, a lot of highway, and being left idling (Keeping the inside cool in the 115 degree desert.) while sightseeing. The car was also fully loaded with every nook and cranny being used.

I have over 250 miles on the current tank of gas and it is showing 27.4. That is almost all highway driving.

In town with either the C4 or C5, we get 19-20. On the highway, we routinely see 26-27 with either. Both are 6-sp cars.
On a recent 9 day road trip, 2300+ miles, the C5 averaged 24.5 and that included the in town stuff and many 'caravan' miles that switched between 30 and 110 MPH (I hate being at the end of 75+ long line of cars).

A couple of years back, I did the fuel mileage rallye at Eureka Springs Corvette Weekend and managed to get 36.22 out of the old '92. Took first place overall that year. Since then, I've only managed 33+ - they changed the course to drive through more urban areas and that seems to have effected my rallye performance more than some others.

The highest I ever got was 28.2 MPG on the way back from Bowling Green. The tach only shows 1900 RPM at 74 MPH! I have an auto with the 2.59 gears. I usually get around 24 MPG back and forth to work.

BowlingGreenKY_50th.JPG

I usually hover between 28 and 30mpg during cold weather. The last three tanks have been between 29 and 32, right I am reading 35.7mpg. Man I love ths car. I get better milage out of the vette than from my wife's 2001 Malibu.

Man....sounds like I need a tune up or something...the best I've ever gotten is 17 in town...no A/C....automatic...yuk..;shrug

Your guys sounds incredible. Mine is 86 auto with 3.07 gear. I got solid around 18-20mpg. What is the problem with my car?:confused

no problems with your car.... Autos don't get nearly as good mileage as 6 speeds. It seems like the best years to have Corvettes for gas was '92 and '93. I could get well over 30 MPG on my '93 6 speed on the highway. With a heavy foot (90 mph) I could get 27 MPG, a normal heavy foot (cruise set at 77 mph) I would get 29.5 MPG consistantly.

With my LT4 6 speed, I run between 25 and 28.5 MPG. It doesn't get nearly as good gas mileage, but it sure is more fun to drive:)

On a 3000 mile roundtrip to Mid America's Funfest last year I got 24.5 MPG doing around 80-85 MPH

Jay

Here's the good end of the scale
24mpg.jpg

and the not so good end of the scale :cool

myvette08.jpg

they should start a topic of people who take pictures of there speedo at crazy speeds. i wonder who would win?:Steer

fore said:
Your guys sounds incredible. Mine is 86 auto with 3.07 gear. I got solid around 18-20mpg. What is the problem with my car?:confused
I think nothing is wrong with your car. I had an 86 and that was about the same gas mileage I got. I think the newer models are just tweaked a little more.

Mine's not a daily driver so I really haven't paid any attention to gas mpg. I just love driving it. However, I do know I get really good SPG! That"s Smiles Per Gallon.:)
John:w
Hope to see and meet some of you in Bowling Green/Nashville. Only 24 more days. I'll check both MPG and SPG on the trip.

Just took a two-state trip in my LT4 and averaged 26.3 mpg.

This was with the AC on, and, while carrying a shapely 125 lbs. passenger. Hit several small towns where I had to come down to 35 and 25 mph.

I think my mileage would’ve been several mpg higher if I would’ve stayed off the throttle. I ran across many an instance where I passed slower moving vehicles on two laners where you could pass when it was safe. I love what these LT4’s do when the rpms go up. (My passenger liked the passing power too, it made her giggle!)

The best mileage I‘ve ever had was in the ‘93 six-speed I had. I averaged 30 mpg on a trip through three states (AC was not on). The best mileage I’ve personally heard of for a C4 was a fella with a 40th Ann. coupe. He managed 33 mpg on his way from Texas to Ohio.

B17Crew
:w

I'm getting 21.5 overall. On the highway, I get about 26. I've got the 3.07 gear and an automatic.

You know, I'm thinkin', with Vettes revving so low at highway, 18 to 19 hun, a multistrike ignition should add some mgp's, noticably. The new plug technology, and wire teck that is out there should also add measurably. I think my '86 does about 24 Canuk, so just multiply by .833 to get U.S. equivilant.

My 84 XFire gets 22-24 in mixed driving. When my son drives he gets 16-19 mpg. Go figure.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom