Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Why are aluminum radiators painted?

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
View attachment 18949

View attachment 18950

View attachment 18951:) I am about to get a replacement radiator for my 327/350. I wonder why the radiator is painted. Is it for looks or for cooling? Also is the shroud left plain fiberglass or is it painted black?

Thanks Jack

PS
I did not paint it. It looks too good just the way it is. Just installed , along with new engine, dash and rear harnesses.

I may lose ""points"" but after 40 years of driving the car, who cares.

The factory aluminum radiator was painted for appearance reasons. The small-block shroud is natural dark gray raw fiberglass (unpainted).

:beer

Thanks for the info, I can now install it, one more thing I don't have to paint. Would a coat of clear work to ease in cleaning and to give it a better look. It is 43 years old.

Jack

Assuming you're talking about the shroud, I wouldn't put any kind of coating on it. :)

The factory aluminum radiator was painted for appearance reasons. The small-block shroud is natural dark gray raw fiberglass (unpainted).

:beer
A black coating HELPS radiate heat, and the engine will run cooler. That's why refrigerators were painted white and brake drums were painted black back in the day. Or just go stand barefoot on an asphalt road on a sunny day.

A black coating HELPS radiate heat, and the engine will run cooler. That's why refrigerators were painted white and brake drums were painted black back in the day. Or just go stand barefoot on an asphalt road on a sunny day.
Do you mean black absorbs sunlight and white reflects sunlight?
I don't see how black paint would radiate heat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom