Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why did the C4 LT1 stay with "300" hp for it's 92-96 run

93Slick

Hear me out the L98 went from "230-245" from 85-91, the LT5 "375-405" from 90-95. But the LT1 stayed at 300 for its entirety apart from a 10 lb-ft of torque jump in 93. Was this to not further nip at the ZR-1 heels? If the LT1 had been upgraded to say 325-335 hp would that mean the LT4 of 96 would make at least 355? Idk I feel as if GM was just saying "That'll do" and never reached their full potenital. I feel as if they left a lot on the table.

Last edited:
Hear me out the L98 went from "230-245" from 85-91, the LT5 "375-405" from 90-95. But the LT1 stayed at 300 for its entirety apart from a 10 lb-ft of torque jump in 93. Was this to not further nip at the ZR-1 heels? If the LT1 had been upgraded to say 325-335 hp would that mean the LT4 of 96 would make at least 355? Idk I feel as if GM was just saying "That'll do" and never reached their full potenital. I feel as if they left a lot on the table.

They may have, but it was their car to market as they saw fit.

Thay were developing the 97 with the New LS1 & probably put all their time & energy into that. Thay didn't want a repeat of the "83"

Thay were developing the 97 with the New LS1 & probably put all their time & energy into that. Thay didn't want a repeat of the "83"

The LT1 does seem like it was a hold over until the C5 came out. It premiered with a bang in '92 and went out with a whimper in '96 is what everyone tells me.

And since the 97 came out at 345HP, they didn't want an
"older technology" engine to have more OOMPH than the new one.
I've heard a number of stories about the LT1, and LT4, and all of them
say that the HP numbers on both were "conservative"!
Andy

And since the 97 came out at 345HP, they didn't want an
"older technology" engine to have more OOMPH than the new one.
I've heard a number of stories about the LT1, and LT4, and all of them
say that the HP numbers on both were "conservative"!
Andy

Seems to be a recurring theme within GM and not just with the C4 the LS7 stayed at 505 for its run. And the C7 is now 4 years old and is stuck at 465, 650 with the expection of the ZR1 which just came out. I for one thought the Grand Sport should have 525 to set a medium between the Z51 and Z06. Hopefully they will bump up the power at least 5% since Corvettes rivals are nipping at its heels if not passing it. So time will tell I guess.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom