Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Will EGR delete mess up ECM?

frankinvette84

In the process of re porting a stock intake. last time I didn't go big enough and left EGR . so this time I want to do it right but I don't know what will happen to ECM when I don't plug the egr computer connecter into it. thanks

What makes you think removing EGR will increase performance?

If you do remove it, you must recalibrate the spark tables in the ECM's "chip".

In the process of re porting a stock intake. last time I didn't go big enough and left EGR . so this time I want to do it right but I don't know what will happen to ECM when I don't plug the egr computer connecter into it. thanks

It won't affect your check engine light on an OBD1 system, but you would set a code with a OBD2 system vehicle.

However as Hib stated previously you will have to modify the E-PROM in the computer to get any positive results. I would leave the EGR on the vehicle if you can as it lowers combustion temperatures, which lowers the chance of detonation (pinging), and allows your spark table to work properly. . Good luck with it. :)

What makes you think removing EGR will increase performance?

If you do remove it, you must recalibrate the spark tables in the ECM's "chip".

While we're on the subject, is there any easy way to tell if this has been done? My 81 has the egr removed, but not sure if spark table have been changed. I do have aftermarket headers, but not sure if that would affect egr at all or not. Bubba has done some things that i have had to correct already so i wouldn't be surprised if e-prom is still stock.

Typically, on engines with EGR, spark timing at light load was more advanced, so what can happen when EGR is removed and the spark curve is not revised to compenstate for its removal is knocking at part throttle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom