Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Window question

Chrisr

Corvette
'07 Monterey Red/Cashmere Vert
OK, now that I've finally got my C5, I want to make it as close to perfect as possible (Don't we all??).

Here's my scenario: The passenger window has a "scratch" going from top to bottom. Most likely from the window going up and down. It' not a deep scratch at all, but bothers me none the less. How do I go about removing the scratch?? Is there any kind of scratch remover or polish that'll work??

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I have a similar problem in my 95's driver window. I hope there is a way to remove them.

Removing scratches from glass is not easy. Start slow with maybe a clay bar. You can go to jewelers rouge, but I'm not comfortable going beyond that. Other's may have more suggestions.

Joe

The only way to remove actual scratches would be to remove glass down to that depth. The service manual for your car should explain how to polish the glass, it is in my Aurora service manual.

The problem is that this will introduce distortion to the glass. How much depends on how much glass you remove, how good you are at doing it evenly, etc. If you are prepared to replace the window anyway, no harm in trying to polish it out. Worst case you ruin the glass and get a replacement. If you aren't willing to do this, you need to balance how much you hate the scratch vs how likely you feel you'll be at removing it and not causing other problems.

I have never actually polished glass with anything other than light cleaners, never in an attempt to abrade the glass away to correct scratch-type defects. So I'm only speaking from what I've read/heard/thought. :)

I've used the ecklers scratch removal process on my rear hatch and it did fine. Just use extreme caution and follow the directions. Like mentioned though, it all depends on how deep the scratch is. Claybarring does an amazing job on removing wiper marks. I have the original windshield and you'd be hard pressed to tell that the wipers have ever been used......and it's a 17 year old windshield.:)

Len:w

nyernga said:
I've used the ecklers scratch removal process on my rear hatch and it did fine.

That sounds pretty good. I've got an Ecklers catalog on the way, so I'll try that route and see what happens.
I should say that the scratch is very minor in depth. I feel it wouldn't take much to remove it.

Thanks for all the advise!!!!

nyernga said:
I've used the ecklers scratch removal process on my rear hatch and it did fine. Just use extreme caution and follow the directions. Like mentioned though, it all depends on how deep the scratch is. Claybarring does an amazing job on removing wiper marks. I have the original windshield and you'd be hard pressed to tell that the wipers have ever been used......and it's a 17 year old windshield.:)

Len:w

I also have a scratch on my passenger side window I'm trying to get out but I can't find this product on the Ecklers web site - is it only in the catalog?

Thanks!

SMR 67 said:
I also have a scratch on my passenger side window I'm trying to get out but I can't find this product on the Ecklers web site - is it only in the catalog?

Thanks!

visit their website and type in A7252 in the part number box.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom