Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Window Seal Install

safety_match

Corvette
1990 Bright Red roadster
Received two new outer window seals for my 90. I found great instructions on how to remove the old ones which is now done.

Having great difficulty in installing the new one. There are 7 clips on it which slip into 7 holes on the inner door, but I'll be darned if I can get them all in. It seems like I can get the outer ones in on either end but the middle of the seal just pushes away when I give the seal a "test" push...any hints? Any better beginning the installation from the ends or from the middle outwards?

Do the clips need to be tight for a better hold or should they be pried open a little bit for installation? When I try tight it seems that I can't get them all in...when I try pried open a bit they don't fit snugly. Is this fit important or do the 3 pop rivets take up the slack?

thanks

Yes, I have that link thanks. It is very helpful and there is another useful one on this site for the other door panel.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=161

But yet, still having trouble...I walked away from it last weekend and will go back to it on Saturday with a fresh mind! Luckily it's still in winter storage and not needed on the road!

I did mine a few years ago and if memory serves me I too couldn't get all tabs at first. The rivets will hold it in place but without getting all the tabs in, it'll have a wavy appearence along the door top. In other words, you'll be able to see where the old one was. Patience, a slow hand and Yanni on the stereo could help. :)

Len:w

It's been 2 years but i think i leaned the seal towards the window and got the tips of all the clips to start and then worked from one end to the other pushing the seal completely down. One of my GM seals required clip removal because it did not line up with the hole and the glass made it impossible to enlarge the hole. Glad there are rivets.

My first attempt at replacing weatherstripping was a near disaster. I certainly hoped I learned from that experience in case I ever have to do it again, God forbid. :(

One thing I did learn is that patience, lot's of patience, is required. ;)

The only problem I had was that the forward rivets on both doors started rubbing on the glass after 6 months or so. These were from Ecklers. I drilled out theses rivets and replaced them with smaller ones.

OK, Now I'm scared!

The article from Corvette Magazine says about an hour a door. Ken says it was a near disaster and the fella who started this thread is having issues. I just ordered a set on Wednesday. Oh Noooooo!

I replaced mine back in early December, and they were a PITA. I thought it would be a quick and easy job....I was wrong. I also ordered them all from Ecklers (they were GM parts)

On the outter seals, I had to really tweak the clips to get them in, it is a VERY tight fit. I did manage to et them installed straight. They aren't 100% factory perfect, but close enough. It was tricky to get them pushed on far enough so there wasn't a gap between the new seal and the top on the outter door panels.

I had to remove the passenger inner door panel to access the rivets. That was a major PITA to get it back on. I had a real hard time getting the inner window seal aligned with the tabs on the door aligned. The seal slides down onto tabs on the door, and it wasn't easy. To top it all off, the rivets in the front of the inner seal, by the mirror, pull out. So I had to get some bigger rivets and reattach it. I ended up just getting it back on the best I could and left it until I fel like messing with it again. Lets just say it hasn't been touched.

The Seals are here!

My repop seals from Mid America arrived yesterday. With the Corvette Magazine article in hand I will attempt the replacement this weekend. You guys can't scare me!

I just ordered them too

in about 3 weeks the shipment arrives in the Netherlands

I bought a complete interior kit and weatherkit + outer felts

I think after hearing you guys I will open a fresh thread for my parts to come.

thanks for placing the link to the replacing article

it always looks easy in the picture :crazy

Mission Accomplished

The seals are installed. About an hour and a half on the passenger side and less than an hour on the driver side. Missed one clip on the passenger side. A little wave. Perfect on the driver side. Agent 86 had some good advise. Minimal swearing. The door lock switch is the trick. Crybabies!

well how do you do this??? i just pretty much wrecked the pass side door outer window seal. i tried to get all the clips just to start in there wholes, but the front one went down and locked in good, and i bent the seal all up tring to get it back out? now i have to order a new one??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom