Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Window Tinting

Bonnell

Corvette
2008 Convertible
I have a new 1LZ JSB 2008 coupe. I asked about the cargo cover but they want $270 for that and what I am after if protection from the sun and maybe a little help keeping it cool. The dealership quotes $160 to tint the windows.

I want to make sure that I get a tint that lasts for years with no problems and I want to stay legal. I have posted the Arkansas tint law below but I have no frame of reference as to how dark the legal limit would be.

Any suggestions? TIA, J :thumb

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN ARKANSAS?
clear.gif

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Arkansas, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
clear.gif
WindshieldNon-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield. Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 25% of light in.Back Side WindowsMust allow more than 25% of light in.Rear WindowMust allow more than 10% of light in.​

$270.00 for a sunshade! :W Wow, no wonder dealerships are called stealerships sometimes. Mid America has a sunshade for $79.99. You can find it here. I've got one for my car and it is great. It takes all of 30 seconds to install or remove the shade, and it folds up nice and small.

I would recommend taking your car to a shop that specalizes in tinting windows. They will be able to answer any questions you have. The limit in Washington state is 35%.

Tint was the first thing I did to my '08. The guy that owns the shop I went to owns a couple Corvettes. We got to talking and he gave me quite the crash course on window tint.

If you look at the back window, you'll notice there are a lot of small dots on the window. Who ever you get to do the window, make sure they do not try to put tint over those dots. The dots are slightly raised, and they will prevent the tint from sticking to the glass properly and eventually you'll get a lot of small bubbles in your tint.

What happened with my car was that they put the tint on the rear window, except over the dots. I waited a few weeks to make sure the tint had set properly, then I went back and they masked off the window and painted over the dots. All in all, they did a really good job, and it all cost less than $200.00.

Jason

well from looking at the law you can have 25% of light coming in which i must say is pretty dark..10% is really dark.... nys onlt allows 70% which is nothing compared to stock..... if backing up at night isnt a big issue then go as dark as you can in my opinion not only may it help protect your interior but it also keeps people from seeing whats inside for them to steal..... as far as where to get it done..... go with a shop that specializes in tinting windows, i cant say how much i think it should cost since i havemt had a car done in a couple years now but it not cheap... but a good shop will give a warranty of some sort and you wont be able to tell it was done aftermarket

$270.00 for a sunshade! :W Wow, no wonder dealerships are called stealerships sometimes. Mid America has a sunshade for $79.99. You can find it here. I've got one for my car and it is great. It takes all of 30 seconds to install or remove the shade, and it folds up nice and small.

I would recommend taking your car to a shop that specalizes in tinting windows. They will be able to answer any questions you have. The limit in Washington state is 35%.

Tint was the first thing I did to my '08. The guy that owns the shop I went to owns a couple Corvettes. We got to talking and he gave me quite the crash course on window tint.

If you look at the back window, you'll notice there are a lot of small dots on the window. Who ever you get to do the window, make sure they do not try to put tint over those dots. The dots are slightly raised, and they will prevent the tint from sticking to the glass properly and eventually you'll get a lot of small bubbles in your tint.

What happened with my car was that they put the tint on the rear window, except over the dots. I waited a few weeks to make sure the tint had set properly, then I went back and they masked off the window and painted over the dots. All in all, they did a really good job, and it all cost less than $200.00.

Jason

Thanks Jason. That is good info and at $80 I will probably get the cargo shade too. Is the shade easy to install?

Ok, I have tint! I took the car to the Chevy dealership and they took it to their tiniting company. I got 35% windows and rear hatch. I love it. From the inside it almost seems like there is no tint. $205 and a lifetime warranty (no fault - if I scratch it they still replace it). This is the ceramic based tint.:D

35PctTint.jpg

DriverTint.jpg

Look great. :thumb Are they going to paint the dots, or are you not going to worry about it?

Jason

I don't see anything that bothers me. I am pretty happy with it as-is. Next week the clearbra goes on.:D

:thumb looks hot :thumb... is it reflection or did a get a blue tinge in there..... how is it from the outside lookin in up close, nice and dark:cool

:thumb looks hot :thumb... is it reflection or did a get a blue tinge in there..... how is it from the outside lookin in up close, nice and dark:cool

That is blue reflection. I like the shade. I intend to post a review so others can get a feel for tinting. I had a lot of questions myself.

35% is nice and dark from the outside. You have to get up close to see anything in the car. Amazingly from the inside it almost seems like nothing was done. Your view is unrestricted and clear. Even in the dark it is perfectly easy to see out.:thumb Man it is cooler when I get in the car during the day. I feel like I am providing good protection for the car.

Looking good Bonnell. IMO, window tinting is a must here in the south. That's one of the first things I have done to my cars.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I agree that tinting is really necessary. My last vette was an '02 vert an I did not worry too much about it. My DD before that was an '88 coupe. When I purchased it in 2002 it had 88K miles and was in really good shape. It had beautiful flame red carpet in it. One August day I parked it in the full sun at work becasue all covered parking was full. When I got to my car later that day the rear carpet was faded to orange in areas. I was torn up!

I decided there was no way I would take tha chance with my new one so I got the tinting.:thumb As you said it is too hot in the South to do without tinting.

J

Tinted glass is too hot.

Try this~ Aim 2 like model cars the same way in the sun and let them sit awhile. Put your palm on the window of the untinted and then the corresponding place on the tinted window. Notice any difference? If not, then try it with your tongue! It's more sensitive!;LOL

Hi all. I'm a new member and have the same issue with my 2005 Black Coupe. I got in at the dealer to test drive and had to wait a few min. for the oven temp. to go down. The back window is tinted but not the sides. I will have to check Michigan law and my mech. for the right shade. Thanks for the info!
Bill

Hi all. I'm a new member and have the same issue with my 2005 Black Coupe. I got in at the dealer to test drive and had to wait a few min. for the oven temp. to go down. The back window is tinted but not the sides. I will have to check Michigan law and my mech. for the right shade. Thanks for the info!
Bill

this site has all the states legal tint laws, from what i have checked they are pretty close to up to date

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom