Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Winter project trailing arm/bearing rebuild

J

jon81

Hi all;

One of my other winter upgrade projects is going to be sending both trailing arms/bearings to Van Steel to get them rebuilt. The passenger side bearing is getting some slop in it and causing the brake pads to squeal intermittently. Heck, it's 21 years old so I guess it's just time. I'm going to go ahead and get the drivers side done at the same time so I don't have to fool with it later.

Van Steel seems to do the best job of all of the rebuilders based on feedback from the various forums. They charge a little more than some of the other rebuilders but in this case I think you get what you pay for.

I may also get a set of drilled Frozen rotors and have them shipped to Van Steel instead of using the the stock rotors. I've used them on several of my other cars and they last forever, even at the track. I'm going to be putting a pair on the front this winter so I might as well do the back also. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I'll probably pull both sides in January and get them on their way. Van Steel estimates about 3 to 4 weeks to turn them around. I'll post pics of the project when I get it completed.

Jon,

Scott81 (SharkTank) had his trailing arms/bearing done at Van Steel too. He was very pleased, and did a nice write up on it on his "SharkTank" website, with photo's.

I don't know if you met Mike (stingray6974) at Bowling Green this last Labor Day Weekend, but Mike is a Corvette Mech out of Texas. Mike does excellent work and is starting to do repairs and rebuilds of stuff like this too.

Sounds like you may be getting ready for a little NCCC or SCCA autocrossing ;)

Happy Holidays
BudD
:SANTA

Jon,

As Bud said I'm very pleased with dealing with Van Steel. Art Dorsett is a class act and a great guy to deal with, we've talked at length about various things concerning C3's and he really knows what he's talking about, as he should...he's been specializing in the trailing arms and bearings for 20+ years now. Art does most of the trailing arms and related items you see in most of the Corvette catalogs, and he told me he tries to go out of his way to make sure his customers are happy. If you have the money to do so I would recommend doing the entire t-arm/bearings/rotors all at once.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mike, missed the museum bash due to a mean boss who made me work but from talking to Mike online I would let him work on my Corvette and wouldn't worry a bit about it, and I'm very picky about who even rides in it let alone works on it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom