Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wiper Control Module Repair

NCVetteDude

Corvette
2 - 1980s, 56 Studabaker, 71 Ghia
Ok, now onto the next problem. Wiper Control Module. As mentioned before I have two late series C3's and of course both mondules have problems.

If plugged into the same car one will work pefecty (high, low, intermittent, and wash) but will not shut off. As long as the ignition is on the wipers are running in some mode.

The next module if plugged into the same car will work high low, no intermittent (no click or anything) and no wash but does shut off correctly.

Does anyone have any idea how to repair these or what goes wrong with them? Or is there fineally a reliable source for new or reman ones? I know that the jumpers are available to bypass the intermittent but that is no fun.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Clint

Wipers Module

I had a smiliar issue. Wipers run when ignition is on. I played with the wiper switch and they finally cut off (pushed down to washer and they went 5 secs and shut down). Also I noticed that if you cut the car off and back on they will usually shut off. After working the switch lever up and down they do not cut on anymore with engine starts and appear to work normally.... hw, if the car sits for a week it appears to come back until I play with the switch again... odd. Former owner had the wires unpluged... not best solution if you hit accidental rain shower!

Thanks for the help, gave it a shot, tried wiggling, even tried messing with the back of switch, disconnected battery and still same symptoms, one module works perfect, just does not shut off and the other only works part way. Anyone have any wirring diagrams for these boards?
Once again, thanks for the help.

My 81 wiper control unit is located behind the passenger seat, in the jack compartment well, it's mounted on the forward bulkhead, next to the radio antenna control unit. My unit became damage when it's mtg broke and it fell down and shorted out against the jack. Ran the wipers, once power was applied, damaging some part of the circuit / components.
Have been unsuccessful in locating any after market sources for either a new or repaired control module.
If Anyone knows of a source for either the unit, a repair shop or even the component level wiring diagram, would go far in possibility repairing the old unit.

Known issue with the GM wiper module and control arm stuff

Ok, now onto the next problem. Wiper Control Module. As mentioned before I have two late series C3's and of course both mondules have problems.

If plugged into the same car one will work pefecty (high, low, intermittent, and wash) but will not shut off. As long as the ignition is on the wipers are running in some mode.

The next module if plugged into the same car will work high low, no intermittent (no click or anything) and no wash but does shut off correctly.

Does anyone have any idea how to repair these or what goes wrong with them? Or is there fineally a reliable source for new or reman ones? I know that the jumpers are available to bypass the intermittent but that is no fun.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Clint

I remember this is a known issue with GM cars with that crazy little arm that sticks out the left side. If I remember the solution to it, it was a cold solder joint in the module itself that would make the wipers run at random times. The solution I believe was to take it off and retouch all the solder joints. There was a big write-up on this on the Fiero forum on this exact topic some time ago.

I resolved this by doing just that.. retouching all the solder joints in the actual module in the wheel column. I will try to find the article and post it here for you to review... I replaced the little arm trying to resolve it thinking it was a bad connection in the controller arm since messing with the arm seemed to stop or alter the situation... did not resolve though.. Re-soldering the connections did fix it though. I will search and re-post here if I can find it again.. LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom