Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wiper Door and Headlight

USNA1969

Corvette
1972 Big Block/4-Speed
I recently had the vacuum lines replaced in my '72 and now the right headlight will not go down and the wiper door will not open. The relay under the steering wheel will raise and lower the left light but has no effect on the right. The w/s wiper relay under the dash has no effect on the door. I thought maybe a screw or washer fell in there, but I can manually open the door, so there's nothing jamming it closed.

The vacuum line plumbing appears to match the assembly manual with the exception that the yellow and green lines coming back from the headlights are switched at the vacuum tank. The yellow line splits to the tank and to the steel pipe that runs across the firewall to the w/s wiper actuator and relay, while the green connects directly to the tank. The manual shows the green being split and the yellow connected to the tank. I don't see how that makes a difference, though.

I disconnected both lines at the headlight with no results. I also opened the white line at the T-fitting at the headlights with no effect.

One more thing - the left headlight goes up and down very slowly.

I'm thoroughly confused and would appreciate any help you can offer.

None. Everything worked fine, although the car sat for a long time before I had the work done.

Check the hose routing on the relay for the RH light and the wiper door. Since you say neither will open with the over rides, sounds like no vacuum signal to either relay.

:thumb

Check the hose routing on the relay for the RH light and the wiper door. Since you say neither will open with the over rides, sounds like no vacuum signal to either relay.

:thumb

I'll do that when the weather clears. I'm planning to switch hoses between the right and left headlights to see if that changes anything.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom