Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wont start - completely dead

The73vetteman

Corvette
'73 L48 4spd
Yesterday it ran fine. Turn the key this morning and nothing. 12.45V at the battery, same at the solenoid. Gauges don't activate when i turn the key and the radio wont work. Solenoid will work if I short out the terminals but the starter doesn't turn.

By the way, the starter is only 3 years old (an AC-Delco unit.)

I would really appreciate some suggestions for diagnostic checks.

John

Won't Start

When I was building my '72 I had to occasionally troubleshoot elec. problems and it's hard to give options without seeing the car - my experience tells me that you shouldn't overlook the basic stuff.
Have you checked the ignition fuse or something in the ignition switch (a wire that's disconnected or the feed to the starter?).
Just my 2cents....good luck,
Mark :v

Start with the simple stuff:
remove and clean all your major wire junctions in the starter circut sounds like a poor conection to me. You will show voltage with a meter, but it won't take a load. It may even pay to replace the battery terminals if they look bad.

Check the fuses. If the guages dont move when you turn the key, there most likely isnt anything wrong with the starter, unless it fried, causing this problem. To me, it sounds like an ignition fuse went bad. My dads old GMC pick up blew the ignition fuse and the whole engine and any electrical divice shut off.
Good Luck
zachh

Don't just look at em or wiggle em ... pull the battery terminals loose from batt ... inspect closely ... if OK, tighten em up. I had a car doing the same thing ... tried tightening the centerbolt terminals ... felt tight ... no good ... took em loose ... bolts were not threading in straight ... retightened ... away it went, no prob. Also, closely check that you ground (neg) cable from batt is securely grounded to chassis. Check the simple stuff first.

The fuse panel is up under the dash on the drivers side. Its pretty high up, so youll most likely need a flashlight.
good luck
zachh

Some cars also have a wire on the starter to the fuse box that is called a fusible link. It looks like regular wire, however it is not. Maybe you have this? Feel of the wire next to the starter...if it is really soft or bends easily, thats what it is, and it has burned in two. That is easily fixable. Also have you checked to see if you have ANY power to the fuse box? Hope this will help!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom