Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Work Benches

JS73751

Re-doing both my work benches in the shop. I am thinking about a metal work surface on at least one of them. What should I use?
I am leaning towrds galvanized steel. Anyone else have a metal benchtop? Past experiences? Pros? Cons?
Thank You,
Joe

Hey Joe, I have 26 ft. of work bench in my shop. I bought steel cabinet bases at a salvage place. For the tops I glued and screwed 2 pcs. of 3/4 plywood together to make a 1 1/2 in. thick top. Then I used 16 Ga. galv.steel bent at 90 down in the front to cover the edge of the plywood and up 90 at the back edge to make a kind of back splash. Keeps stuff from going off behind.It took several sections butted together to cover 26 ft. but the seams are so tight you don't even notice .Makes one heck of a sturdy bench.I have two vices and a bender bolted on the top.I've had alot of heavy things on it and theres no chipping or scratching like wood tops.It looks and is awsome. I would not do it any other way.

Man, that's a great idea! Where can I get 16 ga galv. steel? I have always had double stacked 3/4 plywood tops that I had to replace every couple of years. I like the idea of bending the steel up on the wall as a back splash to keep the small things from falling behind.

Bill

Hey check some restraunt supply places.They carry some nice stainless steel tables that make good work benches.Some come with shelves overhead or underneath.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom