Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z06 Exhaust Issue

vettn71

Corvette
1990 Bright Red ZR-1
I just installed (actually, had them installed) Z06 mufflers on my base 07. Kinney's Mufflers of Bedford, TX did the install. They have done three other exhuast systems for me and they are really top grade. The problem I'm having is that when I accelerate I get a rattling noise. It's coming from the mufflers and there are no clearance issues, as I was able to inspect the system with it on the rack after the install (Kirk always does this to give custmers peace of mind. We tried to isolate the noise and it seems to come form the muffler or valve area. I don't have the vacuum system hooked up yet.

My questions :w - is this common? Are there baffles inside the muffler that could be rattling under acceleration? Am I really, really screwed or is there a fix for this?

Thanks for any suggestions

Jim

If you put Z06 mulffers on a base car, how are you controlling the bypass valves?

Mild To Wild sells a kit called NPP In A Box. Has all the hoses, soldenoid, etc plus installation instructions. It's about $170

Jim

Install NPP in a Box, verify it's working properly then road test the car to see if the rattle goes away.

BTW, the exhaust, the labor and the NPP in a Box kit is a heck of a lot of money to spend for 6 extra hp. Are there other reasons you made that change?

Since vacum not hooked up it could be the valves flapping open/closed.....

Well, turns out the exhaust must have been dropped by our buds at FedEx. Noticed a small deformation on the front edge of the seam. Replaced the muffler and the rattle is gone. Good news is Kirk at Kinney's Muffler Shop (Bedford, TX) installed the replacement muffler and labor for only $225. It's nice to be able to hear again.

Jim

Well, turns out the exhaust must have been dropped by our buds at FedEx. Noticed a small deformation on the front edge of the seam. Replaced the muffler and the rattle is gone. Good news is Kirk at Kinney's Muffler Shop (Bedford, TX) installed the replacement muffler and labor for only $225. It's nice to be able to hear again.

Jim

Glad to hear you got it taken care w/out costing you lots more 'looking' for the problem....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom