Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Z52 suspension

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
Does anyone have a site where I can get information to the Z52 suspension package?

Thanks for the help.

From Michael Antonick's "Corvette Buyer's Guide":

The Z51 spring rates were much too hard for everyday driving. After the hoopla surrounding the introduction died down, owners started complaining about the Corvette's harsh ride. The car magazines, universally euphoric at first exposure to the new Corvette (at a smooth Riverside racetrack in California, by the way), changed their tune after extensive road testing. They became critical of the Corvette's ride quality, Car & Driver calling it an "F16" kind of car, unsuitable for "civilians." Rough ride wasn't the only problem brought on by the hard suspension; the 1984 was notorious for squeaks and rattles.

Chevrolet reacted quickly. The springs for both Z51 and base suspension 1985 models were softened, so that the Z51 in 1985 rode much like the base suspension of 1984. In 1986, the base suspension was softened again. In 1987, RPO Z52 combined softer base suspension springs with performance items previously part of the Z51 package; things like wider wheels, heavy-duty cooling, and quicker steering. To keep hard suspension models out of unsuspecting hands, Chevrolet started making four-speed manual transmissions mandatory with the Z51 option starting in late 1986. Even as spring rates were reduced, the Corvette's handling improved overall (skidpad numbers did drop a bit) as engineers were able to tweak and tune other chassis components.

_ken :w

Bullwinkle: Look under Knowledgebase/then 1984-96/ then Chassis and Suspension/ then 84-96 Suspension Chart/ then Link. Takes you to Hib's chart with the spring rates/ bar, wheel, tire, shock specs.

Stop by this weekend and drive a stone stock Z51 to compare with yours.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

What was all the options that went along with the Z52 package?

Or how do I spot one at a quick glance?

Thanks,
Jim

89ZZ4 said:
Bullwinkle: Look under Knowledgebase/then 1984-96/ then Chassis and Suspension/ then 84-96 Suspension Chart/ then Link. Takes you to Hib's chart with the spring rates/ bar, wheel, tire, shock specs.

Stop by this weekend and drive a stone stock Z51 to compare with yours.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

Phil,

Thanks for the offer. We might have to get the Chicago area members together for lunch or something like that.

mines a 87 with the Z-52 suspension. drives real nice on med to smooth roads ride is pretty smooth on terrible roads is a bit ruff but under stress she'll hang a line in a heart beat! best car i've ever driven so predictable :D

Thanks Ken!

i knew a good bit about it but never really knew the handling characteristic difference.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom