Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZR1 parts for a L98

Ripp 73

Corvette
1973 L82 Blue Coupe
My friend has a 1990 L98 (supposedly). However, when ever he has to add or replace a part for the engine he has to use parts for a ZR1. For instance he had to replace the alternator, but the one for the L98 did not fit, but a ZR1 did. The same thing for the Air Filter and the PCV Valve. Recently he had an injector go bad, and replaced just the one. The one he replaced is now a different color from all the rest. He used an AC product. At the same time he also replaced the Electric Fuel Pump. Now he feels the car does not run as strong as it used to. Not in idle or things like this, but just power. Has anyone every heard of anything like this? Are the Electric Fuel Pumps different for the L98 and ZR1. I know the Fuel Injectors are different between the two but would it make that much of a difference? Does anyone have any insight into this area? :confused

Also, while I have some attention here... does anyone know about the "Gold Key" that comes with this year Vette. We were told not to use it unless it is an emergency. What does this key do to the car?

First off, someone's pullin' someone's leg. :eyerole
Ripp 76 said:
Has anyone every heard of anything like this?
No.
Are the Electric Fuel Pumps different for the L98 and ZR1? ... would it make that much of a difference?
Yes.
... the "Gold Key" that comes with this year Vette. What does this key do to the car?
The "Valet" key is used to curb performance; I'll let the ZR-1 guys, the LT5 experts, fill you in with the details.

I'll move this to the ZR-1 forum; in case it really is an LT-5 engine and it's a ZR-1 Corvette, people there will be able to enlighten you. If you don't get a response soon, I'll try to research it for you. :CAC

Are you thinking it could be a ZR1?

Got a Pic the the motor? How many Fuel Injectors does it have?
-=Rick

No, I do not believe this car is a ZR1 in any respect. In fact I know it is not. However, I find it strange that all the parts that we've put onto the car have to be ZR1 parts. Not just because he is looking for the performance, but because the L98 versions simply do not fit. I will try to take pictures if I can, anything imparticular you want? It looks like a L98 engine to me. It does not have the 4 cam 32 valve.

Ripp 76 said:
No, I do not believe this car is a ZR1 in any respect. In fact I know it is not. However, I find it strange that all the parts that we've put onto the car have to be ZR1 parts. Not just because he is looking for the performance, but because the L98 versions simply do not fit. I will try to take pictures if I can, anything imparticular you want? It looks like a L98 engine to me. It does not have the 4 cam 32 valve.
Hmm.. ok.. I am just wondering there was mention of a different key... The only car that had a the "power" key or whatever was the ZR1 as far as I know.. so I wasn't sure if there was confusion.. it doesn't make sense.. I would grab the vin and have c4c5 do a VIS on it to see what it was from the factory..
-=Rick

First to your question on using ZR-1 parts on an L98..Although some GM parts my indeed cross-reference with what will fit other GM cars it does not mean they are ZR-1 parts Just GM parts. I do not believe any LT5 parts will fit an L98 as to accessories I am not sure.

On to the GOLD KEY and I don’t think you are referring to the power key of a ZR-1..My 91 ZR-1 did come with a gold key it is cut the same as the ignition key but has no chip and no black plastic cover so what it is for I have no idea as it will not start the car., it will however allow you to turn the ignition as far as accessory.

Sorry an alternator from a L98 will not fit a ZR-1 and vice versa. The air filter is the same, as they went to the slop backed radiator design. The PCV, well the ZR-1 uses two of them, a small one and a larger one. I imagine one of them fits a L98 car.

This Gold Key thing is very interesting. The key that Wegone described is the exact same key that this 90 L98 came with. We have never tried this key as the dealer said not to unless it is an emergency. Now according to Jeffvette, the PCV valve makes sense. This car only has one PCV valve and I could see one of the two from the ZR-1s fitting. As far as the alternator... he HAD to use the one from the ZR-1. The L98 version would not fit into place and could not be used. As to reply to BlackNBlue's question this 90 Vette has 8 fuel injectors. This is still a mystery but maybe there is hope still out there.

Im sorry but I want to see a picture of this motor he has.

A gold key???? probably a spare key thats all and what lock does this key belong to ignition or door?

also the alternator from a LT5 wont fit a L98 I have owned both cars and I own 2 ZR1s now, heres the best question I want to know where did your friend get the parts from?

anyway lets see some pictures

some times a key is given with a new ignition cylinder and it is for cutting a new key with the correct pellet. if you try to start the car with this key the security system will shut every thing down for a period of time the length of time depends on the amount of times you attempt to start the vehicle. it is to discourage some one from trying different keys and driving away with your car :ugh Steve

Pictures are Here

Ok, let me try my best here to post some of these pictures. This is my first attempt on here so bare with me.

The engine compartment
editPhotos.fcgi
editPhotos.fcgi

Here is the back of the alternator
editPhotos.fcgi

Here is the "Gold Key"
editPhotos.fcgi

Ok, so while I try to figure out how to post pictures to this website just go here for now to veiw the pictures

http://community.webshots.com/album/243756385sfdvkb

Thanks
Back of the Alternator
AlternatorSmall.JPG

Overall picture of the engine
EngineSmall.JPG

editPhotos.fcgi

I noticed... Thanks BlackNBlue

If you look at the picture with the fuel injectors you will notice the one on the left is a different color. That is the one that was replaced. All of the others are of the color on the right.

Also, looking on the back of the alternator I can read the numbers 18R.

Thanks guys.

Fuel Injectors
FuelInjectorSmall.JPG

"Gold Key"
GoldKeySmall.JPG

Not a ZR-1 alternator, as I stated before in the thread. The alternator on the ZR-1 doesn't have it's bearing exposed in the rear.

Here is a photo of a ZR-1 alternator
DSC00005.JPG

Notice the position of the battery post in relation to the plug harness.

As far as the fuel injectors, the LT5 used two seperate ones. Each had a different mounting style, depending upon if it was a primary or secondary injector.

Bradfordsvettes is right on the gold key. It's a service key to get the correct cut. That key does nothing, unless it's a 84-85 Vette with out VATS. I've got a brass door key with my car.

ok I think your pictures are password protected I kept getting a password box poping up with a address that matched your pictures properties indian EDU

so try to email the pics to someone who can host them without the protection

jp

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom