Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ZZ-4 fuel injection question

silver 80

Corvette
1980 silver with blk interior 1987 blue / blue
what do you think mini ram setup or bigmouth set up?
thanks for your input
tom

Tom,

I've been running a F/I ZZ4 in my '73 for about 2.5 years now. I have a Street & Performance "Tunnel Ram" intake with runners that are approximately 6 inches long. I lost a significant amount of low end torque going to this intake from the original carb and aluminum intake manifold. Back when I was installing my ZZ4 guys were upgrading their intake with an Edelbrock unit that I'm pretty sure had longer runners. I know the Edelbrock intake they were upgrading to was taller and caused some clearance prob's and these guy's typically had to use a dropped-base air cleaner to close the hood so that's why I'm assuming it had longer runners.

The reason I mention it is that I believe the ZZ4 cam likes a fairly long runner intake manifold. My Tunnel Ram runners are shorter than stock. The MiniRam looks like an LT1 intake on a C4. If the runners are about the same I remember someone somewhere stated that they were about 3 inches long. This is a lot of "I thinks" & assumptions but I'd bet that you would loose even more low end torque than me by going with that intake.

As far as the bigmouth setup, are you talking about a regular early C4 style intake with a bigmouth base? I believe that's (Bigmouth) an Edelbrock label too. If that's the case that would be a better choice in my opinion. Longer runners, and you can upgrade them to larger diameter also. I kinda wish now that I'd gone that route. Those intakes can be picked up for about $300-$600 depending on condition. I think I paid about $1200 for my S&P intake alone.

Good luck with it.

im running a 60 over 350 with a zz4 cam and sportsman 2 heads with tpi and i have tons of low end torque .I have a custom chip for it right now but on the stock chip it idled fine just a slight lope to it.

Thanks guys I was kinda looking at the TPIS big mouth set up.

Pat do you have a regular tpi set up?

Lone 73 the kit from TPIS is about 3K comes with all sensors harness computer and tpi set up. I was kinda thinking plug and play.

what do you guys think? maybe Accel TPI set up with TPIS harness kit?
tom

yes i have a 87 setup ,i ported the lower intake to match the sportsman 2 heads the upper plenum has been ported and the stock runners have been cleaned up and gasket matched.

Accel vs Stock computers

The Accel F/I computer won't plug into TPIS's harness if it's for a stock computer. You'll need the Accel computer and harness. Now, other than the computer everything is the same to my knowledge. Only the computer and connection to it are proprietary, not the sensors and IAC so the other end of the harness will be generic.

The TPIS computer would be plug and play for a fairly stock motor. The Accel unit would require some tuning to match the intake you choose. The Accel would be immediately adjustable with future mods that you might make via your laptop. The stock computer would require someone else to burn a new chip for you every time you made a mod to your motor. They both have their pluses and minuses. Now that I have some experience with it I would recommend a stock setup for a driver and a laptop tunable computer (such as Accel, Edelbrock etc) for a weekend toy that you just want to race and cruise in occasionally.

good luck

silver 80 said:
Thanks guys I was kinda looking at the TPIS big mouth set up.

Pat do you have a regular tpi set up?

Lone 73 the kit from TPIS is about 3K comes with all sensors harness computer and tpi set up. I was kinda thinking plug and play.

what do you guys think? maybe Accel TPI set up with TPIS harness kit?
tom

Thanks for the info guys. one last question I think.
you guys running the stock v-belts or did you convert to serptine.
thanks again for all of the info.
tom

fuel pump in tank or inline?

belts

My belts are still stock, would like to convert someday but it's expensive unless you can find a doner car.

good luck

I don't have a donor car but I do have a donor motor complete from an 85 minus the wire harness.
tom

im using everything from the 87 trans am,so that means the 105 amp alt. with flat belt ,the long water pump and im using my stock power steering pump with v belt.Im also using a 89 corvette in tank pump converted to fit on my stock sending unit in the tank.

belts

So you have a serpentine belt AND a PS pump belt???

patsnitrovette said:
im using everything from the 87 trans am,so that means the 105 amp alt. with flat belt ,the long water pump and im using my stock power steering pump with v belt.Im also using a 89 corvette in tank pump converted to fit on my stock sending unit in the tank.

2 belts,one flat 5 cog belt for the alternator,waterpump,crank and a one v belt for the power steering pump to crank.also one thing to add to the stock computer if you use mass air flow setup you dont have to keep sending out the chip every time you make a change to the motor,itll handle changes better then a speed density setup.

I use a Modified TPI with Holley Commander 950 wire harness and computer, I have had it for 4 years now and just now started having some minor problems (sensor related). If money were no object I would use the Holley stealth ram which wasn't availabe when I did my conversion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom