Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No other Generation

:upthumbs
Also, someone made the statements above that the C5 used the Turbohydramatic 400 transmission and the C4's six-speed. Both are incorrect. The C5 used a derivative of the C4's 4L60E automatic and the C5's six-speed is a completely different transmission.

Yes you are right about the trannies. I mistakenly thought TH400 for the 4L60E. Shame on me. My point was that the autoboxes carried over from C4 to C5. For the 6-speed manual I read somewhere that the 1990's C4 6-speed was a "T56" Borg-Warner tranny. I also read that the C5 had a "T56" 6-speed manual. So I mistakenly thought both were the same except for placement. The C5 manual is in fact made by Tremec and not Borg-Warner. Sorry about that.

Merry Christmas.

that was sales hype.
putting the trans in the rear..
does not compare to changing the entire vehicle
every physical aspect of the C4 is totally different from the C3..
the C5 nice but not so different.

Putting the C5 trans in the rear further balanced out the already good weight distribution of the C4.

Porsche figured this out in their 928. It's expensive but it helps make the cars handle very well. Ideally you want the weight to have a 50/50 distribution. I think the C4 had a 52/48 while the C5 had a 51/49.....pretty close to ideal.

The 84-88 had a bastardized four-speed overdrive arrangement built by the now-defunct Doug Nash Enterprises. It was a Super T10 (the Corvette four-speed from the mid/late-70s) but with a strengthened case fitted with an electro-hydraulic, two-speed, overdrive unit.

The 89-96 used the ZF S6-40 six-speed.

The 97-10 uses a T56 six-speed. The transmission was originally designed and manufactured by Borg-Warner but shortly after the C5 was introduced, Warner Gear sold its entire manual transmission business to TREMEC in Mexico which has been responsible for engineering and manufacturing since then.

I believe the C4 is the most radical Corvette. Which is why I like it and alot of people hate it. Clamshell hood, 180 degree flipping headlights, popping rear hatch, digital dash, Targa see thru top, fitted seats.

I believe the C4 is the most radical Corvette. Which is why I like it and alot of people hate it. Clamshell hood, 180 degree flipping headlights, popping rear hatch, digital dash, Targa see thru top, fitted seats.
And don't forget the 'fall in -climb out' experience too :thumb I always find it amusing when a passenger goes to get into my C4 for the first time, they usually land in the seat with a lot more velocity than they intended (or imagined entering a car with) and they never fail to pass comment on how LOW she sits.. or crouches.. -ready to pounce! I like the 'fighter jet' styling of the cockpit too, I mean in how it envelopes the driver so completely, I feel secure in it.
Have you ever had to get in to the drivers seat via the passenger door?! (like I had to the other day because someone has parked about 4 inches from my driver's side) Its..... EMOTIONAL:boogie

Cheer up the C7 will be faster and lighter with a V6 turbo.
God I hope they don't put a V6 into the C7! Anything other than a V8 just seems somehow... UNamerican ! But seriously I will be sick if I hear there will really be a V6 turbo Corvette... it is just wrong!
I was reading some article online about a possible twin turbo, I hope it is BS. Do any vette owners really care about fuel economy? So long as she doesn't consume in excess of what she was designed to I am happy. So for me, 20mpg is perfect.

i just wanted to get responses, that's all..
if you post a bunch of tech, that's nice, but, very little personality comes out..
i'm just getting to know who's who..
it's no big deal,
and, yes, Bucket is a name that i am known by and not some alias to hide behind...lol
it seems that i have always had a nack for testing someone's spirit...
it's a gift...
Merry Christmas
ps
a hundred years from now not one living soul will know what a car is......

Bucket is a name that i am known by and not some alias to hide behind...lol
it seems that i have always had a nack for testing someone's spirit...

I bet you beat your Tom,Tom!!:thumb :D

I can't Imagen that!! :L:L:L

Merry Christmas!! :upthumbs

God I hope they don't put a V6 into the C7! Anything other than a V8 just seems somehow... UNamerican ! But seriously I will be sick if I hear there will really be a V6 turbo Corvette... it is just wrong!
(snip)

If there ever is a V6 in a Vette, it's going to come because of Government regulation, that is: the car will get a V6 turbo because that's the only way a Corvette could still offer some sporting performance and meet Federal regulations for exhaust emissions, particularly CO2, and fuel economy.

But...in the near future, my guess is that Corvette out through 2013 or 14 are going to have V8s. Now, it's unlikely they'll be 505-hp 427s or 638-hp supercharged six-twos--that stuff goes away at the end of next year--but you might see a 4.8L or 5.3L supercharged engine as an option or maybe even standard.

The "C7"?
Well...rumors for a while were that this was to be a mid-engined and lighter car. But, what I've heard lately is the mid-engine idea has been discarded as too costly considering 1) GM's financial situation and 2) that performance cars may become "politically unfashionable" as products made by a company which has become a Government-funded jobs program for the UAW.

I don't think the Corvette is going away anytime soon because of it's value as halo brand and that it's an American icon, but I think it will be a fair amount of time before we see a "C7" of a dramatically different design as was the C4 compared to C3.

It's always fun to speculate...

How 'bout, for the 2016 Corvette, a chassis configuration like something that Mosler or Factory Five makes, styled like a Corvette should look and with a series hybrid powertrain using a small, gas turbine (ie: a jet engine) running on diesel fuel to charge the batteries?

I was reading some article online about a possible twin turbo, I hope it is BS. Do any vette owners really care about fuel economy? So long as she doesn't consume in excess of what she was designed to I am happy. So for me, 20mpg is perfect.

About 8 months ago Ford was damn sure their Ecoboost inline 4's and V6's was THE answer to the ever tightening emissions, fuel econcomy standards, and power requirements, etc. There was even rumor that Ford was going to abandon the V8 engine altogether. This during a time when Hyundai just released their Genesis sedan with the 4.6 liter V8, and while BMW, MB, Lexus, Infiniti were all continuing to develop V8's. Then all of a sudden, in the face of a strong financial turn around, Ford's V8 program is back on again! Ford has recently unveiled their 24-valve V6 with 300 bhp (not Ecoboost), and now they also plan to unveil the new 5.0 32-valve V8 for the Mustang and other Ford products.

I think GM is just trying very hard to tread water right now. All their BS talk about a twin turbo V6 on the Corvette is just that. IF GM actually does that, they will fail miserably! Does GM really believe that Porsche and Ferrari, their main rivals in the market, give up their iconic engines? Hell no! Porshce just released their new Panamera 4-door sportscar and guess what? Yup! Twin Turbo V8 baby! Oh yeah! Ferrari with a V6? NEVER! Of course, I have seen GM do dumb things to themselves before so who knows. All I know is, if GM does put a V6 on a Corvette, they may as well drop the Corvette name altogether because this market is NOT ready for a Corvette without a V8. At current gas prices, which all indications point to that remaining stable for a while, there is plenty of room for a V8 that makes 450-500 bhp while getting 20-25 mpg.

How 'bout, for the 2016 Corvette, a chassis configuration like something that Mosler or Factory Five makes, styled like a Corvette should look and with a series hybrid powertrain using a small, gas turbine (ie: a jet engine) running on diesel fuel to charge the batteries?

Hib, if GM makes a Corvette without a V8, their competitors will jump for joy and will be all over all that lost market segment GM will experience.

I do agree with your speculation about the eventual hybrid powerplant not only for the Corvette but for all our automobiles altogether. However, I would think that transition will not be complete until 2020. That's only 10 years from now!

I agree on the series hybrid just like GM's Volt. It is the only way these hybrids can attain serious fuel efficiency. The current Parallel Hybrids are not as efficient. Series Hybrids can use smaller engines. I would also predict Lithium Polymer batteries in place of the Lithium Ion packs today. The LP's are lighter and can be shaped in a variety of ways which makes it easier to package. They are lighter too. Finally, aluminum will be used throughout the chassis, backbone, etc. Aluminum body panels (in other cars) will be the norm to further save weight.

So by 2020 or around there, I think society will be ready for a Series hybrid Corvette with the 450-500 bhp. I like the Gas Turbine Generator. :upthumbs

Hib, if GM makes a Corvette without a V8, their competitors will jump for joy and will be all over all that lost market segment GM will experience.

IF the Corvette ever went to a V6, it would probably be because of Government regulation and its competitors would be subject to the same regulation. In fact, Ford is already going that direction with it's "EcoBoost" engine family, ie: V6 turbos to mimic V8s and I4 turbos to mimic V6es.

I do agree with your speculation about the eventual hybrid powerplant not only for the Corvette but for all our automobiles altogether. However, I would think that transition will not be complete until 2020. That's only 10 years from now!
My speculation was meant more as "what if" rather than "eventual".

Another of these what-ifs is a series hybrid with a fuel cell engine.

If there ever is a V6 in a Vette, it's going to come because of Government regulation, that is: the car will get a V6 turbo because that's the only way a Corvette could still offer some sporting performance and meet Federal regulations for exhaust emissions, particularly CO2, and fuel economy.

But...in the near future, my guess is that Corvette out through 2013 or 14 are going to have V8s. Now, it's unlikely they'll be 505-hp 427s or 638-hp supercharged six-twos--that stuff goes away at the end of next year--but you might see a 4.8L or 5.3L supercharged engine as an option or maybe even standard.

The "C7"?
Well...rumors for a while were that this was to be a mid-engined and lighter car. But, what I've heard lately is the mid-engine idea has been discarded as too costly considering 1) GM's financial situation and 2) that performance cars may become "politically unfashionable" as products made by a company which has become a Government-funded jobs program for the UAW.

I don't think the Corvette is going away anytime soon because of it's value as halo brand and that it's an American icon, but I think it will be a fair amount of time before we see a "C7" of a dramatically different design as was the C4 compared to C3.

It's always fun to speculate...

gas turbines are way too inefficient...
it will definately be electric
probably with a motor on each wheel for spectacular performance and handling..the power source?
hydrogen

Obviously, I started this link , just start a discussion...i could have googled up all the answers i was looking for, but, getting people involved is the human way...

I think GM is just trying very hard to tread water right now. All their BS talk about a twin turbo V6 on the Corvette is just that. IF GM actually does that, they will fail miserably! Does GM really believe that Porsche and Ferrari, their main rivals in the market, give up their iconic engines? Hell no! Porshce just released their new Panamera 4-door sportscar and guess what? Yup! Twin Turbo V8 baby! Oh yeah! Ferrari with a V6? NEVER! .

Dino Ferrari 206 and 246 was a V6...

C7? I sure hope so! If gm were to build a mid engine turbo V6 corvette, I'm sure the h.p. numbers would be right up there with the current h.p. levels that were seeing in todays V8.
As for the original topic of this thread, I recently had the privilege of a little tour of the Yuma GM proving grounds. I had the experience of riding along with a few of the test track drivers in a beat on C6, and C5 Z06.
These cars are driven to there max performance regularly. I could tell by the short but thrilling rides on the skid pad the difference in corvette evolution.
I would call the C4 ride as aggressive and unrefined. It handles great but you really feel the road. And yes, my suspension has been upgraded with new performance parts. Every bushing and wear part, springs, sway bars, shocks.
The C5 Z06 was a definite step up. Unbelievable performance with a smoother ride. The car really felt solid and very much in control. Well, as in control as it can while spinning at high speeds.
My ride in a stock C6 was like stepping into a cadillac. Only you seldom get to experience 360 spins at 85 mph, drifting, and donuts around traffic cones in such a refined ride.
It was a show of absolute power, and a testament to the durability these new corvettes are. I am convinced it is the best corvette out there at this time. I only hope the C7 continues the tradition. The best just getting better!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom