Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 The Most Maligned Model?

I've always love the look of the C4 since a kid and have owned two an 86 and now a 96 for tens years. I have respect for all other models, most people either buy the model they loved as a kid or what's the hot car now. Sometimes I may feel a little looked down apon by later model owners but still have alot of pride in my ride. I try to wave at everyone and do managed to get acknowlegded by most Corvette drivers even by the C5 crowd some C6's. I beleive alot of the Later model owners still don't know about the Wave so they may come off as Snobs. Just my thoughts Save The Wave Guys :w

I've not experienced the trash talk some people direct at the C4 specifically; I have heard some trash talk the Corvette in general - but it's usually a non-owner so you take that as a bit of jealousy, you know the "I don't have one so I'm going to try and convince you it's because I don't want one." :L

And while there is generally a sense of camaraderie among Vette owners of all generations, there are always a few that look upon owners of any generation but theirs as second class citizens. A few weeks ago I stopped next to a '60 in a parking lot to say hello and compliment the owner and the man would barely speak to me. In fact, I began to think he wasn't going to respond to me at all, when he finally did answer my question as to the model year of his Vette. He made me feel as if I was imposing so I gave up and drove away. I would have chalked it up to him being in a hurry, but it was one of those little Saturday afternoon parking lot gatherings of classic cars and hot rods so one would assume he was there to socialize. Guess not. :chuckle

I just do what I can to keep the traditions going, but if others don't seem interested or meet me halfway, I consider it their loss and go on. I'm too old to care what others think. As for me, I'd own one from each generation if it was financially possible for me to do so. :thumb

Gone but not forgotten:

1994_TorchRed_Convertible.jpg

:wJane Ann

My Experience with a C4

I've owned mine for several years now and it's a continuing love affair. I've never run into any issues from other Corvette owners in regards to my C4 1995 Corvette. It's a stunner, very clean and straight in Admiral Blue. You can't help but have that color grab your eyes. When I was shopping I was looking at the late C4's and early C5's. Understanding that the C5's were a technological leap, I still ended up with my 95. I feel for it the moment I saw it (in pictures) I actually bought and transported it sight unseen. To me the performance is more than enough to get me in trouble quickly, and like earlier posters I still like the look of it ... a lot.

If I get a lack of respect for the car from anyone, it's certainly from non-vette owners. Invariably the 1st question I get when I mention I own a Corvette is "what year is it?". I think it's more an attempt to gauge my wealth than it is to disparage my car. If I own a classic C1 or C2 then I must be loaded... if I own a new one then I must be loaded, however I only own a 1995 so I'm not loaded. LOL.

Anyway, I'm sure I wouldn't get rid of my car anytime soon. If anything, I'd like to add another to the collection, and I'm finding the early C6's looking like more of a bargain everyday.

Cheers!

You can't find better bang for your performance dollar than a C4 ZR-1or B2K. And what a comfortable, fun runabout the C4 convertible is. Frankly, I think the C4 is the last of
the beautiful Corvettes. The C5 and 6 are massive and hulkish looking IMO. I love the clamshell hood.

Last edited:
Snobs

I gotta say I have never felt the "SNOB" effect. I've put my LT 4 in several shows since I purchased it in Feb 2012...several times in the Cars and Coffee Show in St Pete, FL. From Lambos to Hot Rods to a VW Bus to new and old Corvettes...you see them all. In almost each show someone will walk up, ask if this is your car, the sound off about a C4 they used to own...how much they loved the car and some even wish they'd kept it. No it didn't cost 10s of thousands...but it does deliver 10's of thousand of smiles per mile. I've owned a 66 Big Block Coupe and a 66 Roadster mouse motor car...neither of those cars were so pleasureable to drive or to travel in. I love my C 4 and just can't say enough positive about it. So, if you bump into the Snob effect...just walk away and remember it's their problem...not yours. :thumb

Sorry!

Interesting that if I happen to be having a cold one in the garage, I'm perceived of being a problem.

There's any number of reasons for it. Who knows maybe I have done some long hard work in the sun, maybe come back from a drive in the car?

I think the bigger problem is the guy who drinks more than he should have and then gets behind the wheel of anything. I am a firm believer in not drinking and driving. The life I save might be mine!

The Corvette isn't my first classic car or my only collector car. I do the wave and more times than not, am ignored. Does it stop me? No, it's a sign of recognition to another.

Jus because it's my forst Corvette, doesn't mean I am not aware of the heritage of the Corvette.

It is however, somewhat strange that mature adults with serious responsibilities actually sit around in garages, driveways, parking lots, or my personal favorite my deck, quaffing brewskis, sipping crushed fermented grapes, or savoring the complex nectar of the old country (Oban forever). Clearly, we collectively have a problem. My bride thinks I need real help(what does she know!).

c
[/QUOTE]

Clive:

I am sorry I was not suggesting "you" had/were a problem. I was trying to copy/infer a tongur-in-cheek comparison to members of Corvette Anonymous. That organization's tag line is "I have a Problem" refering to members' passion for Corvette. "Corvettes Anonymous is an International Tongue-In-Cheek Support Association for anyone with a passion for Corvettes." Yahoo search or google can offer more information.As Bink noted, I do have a problem (autoerotic perspective on corvettes). It is my personal issue. HMMmmmm, following on Bink's observation I suppose I am also infected with an aeroerotic problem, but if you have ever seen an A5 Vigilante you would, I am sure, understand why.

c

Thank You

Clive:

I am sorry I was not suggesting "you" had/were a problem. I was trying to copy/infer a tongur-in-cheek comparison to members of Corvette Anonymous. That organization's tag line is "I have a Problem" refering to members' passion for Corvette. "Corvettes Anonymous is an International Tongue-In-Cheek Support Association for anyone with a passion for Corvettes." Yahoo search or google can offer more information.As Bink noted, I do have a problem (autoerotic perspective on corvettes). It is my personal issue. HMMmmmm, following on Bink's observation I suppose I am also infected with an aeroerotic problem, but if you have ever seen an A5 Vigilante you would, I am sure, understand why.

c[/QUOTE]

Thank you for responding. Perhaps I too misunderstood what was written. The bottom line, is we each like our own generation/year of cars for special reasons. What is one man's trash is another's treasure. We can also appreciate the other year of Corvettes because without one, you do not have the other, you have extinction of the next year's car.

...The problem I believe was the cars built from 1967 to 1997 were spotty on quality and maintenance...But the 1996 was a great car...

So, which is it? Was the '96 "spotty on quality and maintenance", or was it "a great car"? Perhaps a bit of both.

I'm in the Milwaukee, WI area. In early June of '97, I began my search for a new GS coupe. Yes, it was very late, but I didn't have the money until then and I refused to borrow it. I asked a couple of the local dealers to help me find one, and after beating the bushes for awhile, they finally had to go national. It turned out that there was only one left, and it was at a dealer in Orlando, FL. I contacted them, and after confirming that the car had all the options, we made the deal...and my wife and I drove down there over the July 4th weekend to take delivery. We both had to be back to work right after the weekend, so it had to be a strictly down-and-back road trip with no slop in the return schedule. While looking the car over at the dealer before signing the papers, the hood was up...and I noticed that the fat PCV connecting hose on the passenger side of the throttle body was disconnected. That's at least a 1/2"dia. vacuum leak! I didn't even say anything, I just connected it. The rest of the car seemed perfect, so I signed the papers...and off we went toward home, her leading the way and me following in the GS. After about two hours, I decided to engage the cruise control and...it didn't work! We didn't have time to turn around, so we just kept going. Later on, I had to blow the horn at someone, and it didn't sound right. The rest of the trip went OK. When we got home, I checked the horn and only one was working. The passenger side horn was completely dead. The cruise control switch on the clutch pedal proved to be miss-adjusted, which prevented the cruise from engaging. I replaced the horn and readjusted the cruise switch. While poking around under the hood, I noticed that the bolt that holds the positive battery cable to the battery looked kind of crooked, so I grabbed a hold of the cable...and it was quite loose. It turned out that the bolt was tight, it was just cross-threaded! When I removed it, I could see that the threads on that special, captured cable bolt were ruined. The whole positive cable would have to be replaced if the car was going to remain "correct". Unfortunately, it was July of '97 and GM had already changed the spec and part number on that cable...and I had a hell of a time finding the correct NOS cable since, amazingly, most of the dealers didn't seem to have the original type in stock anymore. There was various other minor stuff as well (extra screws/hardware laying around in the car, stripes less than perfect, etc.), but I sorted all of it out in short order...and the car has been "a great car" ever since.

This was my first new corvette since my '78 L82 (which came with a spotty paint job) so I can't speak to the quality of those intervening years, but judging by my GS, at the end of the '96 model run the integrity of the production process at Bowling Green was definitely nowhere near where it needed to be. I think it was a testament to the quality of the over-all design that my car managed to survive that crappy assembly process, very nearly intact. Having worked on an automotive assembly line, I knew better than to blame the assemblers for the sloppy details on my car. See below...

The cars got worse unit 1989 & 1990 when GM showed the unions and engineers that it was time to shape up or get out. I'm no way an expert, ( we have quite a few of them here who'll be glad to dismiss my opinion)...

OK, this statement could only have been made by someone who has never worked (or even been) in a U.S. auto plant. I spent years on an assembly line and, later, in plant and quality engineering. I also met, literally, thousands of like individuals...and I can tell you honestly that almost universally, we always did the very best job that company management would allow us to do. It was fairly rare that we would have enough time, or the correct tools, or quality parts/materials, to do our jobs properly...and we were always left to agonize over the results, which were, nevertheless, beyond our control. Then we got to go home from work, turn on the evening news, and hear how the dire condition of the American auto industry was entirely the fault of the U.A.W. Most folks formed their opinions of the American auto worker based solely on what company managers would tell the media when they were asked why the Japanese built better cars than we did. If you were a company manager, and someone from the media shoved a microphone in your face and asked what the problem was, would you be more inclined to blame underlings who couldn't defend themselves, or would you point your finger at yourself? Nobody from the media ever asked anyone from the U.A.W. what the problem was because 1) hey, they're just ignorant, lazy, dishonest line workers, and 2) the companies all had easily reached, friendly, well-dressed P.R. flacks whose job it was to "answer" questions and hand out free Tigers/Pistons/Lions tickets. And all this occurred back when the news was actually still loosely connected with reality.

Last edited:
C4..

I'll tell ya folks, vette owners are people and people are sometimes "not very nice" to put it mildly. I personally don't care if they like my c4 or not. If your car makes YOU happy then I am happy for you!

I love my c4 and will not sell it. I have had several c3 and c4 vettes and this little 84 all original is the only one that I have decided to keep. I don't know what it is about this car but it's apart of the family now. My 2 youngest daughters are Vette crazy! 11 and 8.

Great forum you all have here. Thanks for having me :cool!:

BTW, this is my first post

I just caught an old episode of "Wheeler-Dealers" on Velocity. It's a British show about two guys (one, a talentless yahoo, the other, a mechanic) who buy interesting old cars and fix them up to sell. In this episode, they did an '84 Corvette. It was fairly rough, having been through (probably) several British owners...and so had screwed up wiring, etc. The talentless yahoo made more than one comment about "crappy American electrics", referring to what the mechanic later found out...that the poor car's previous British owners had butchered the wiring in it. Can you imagine? a British person denigrating American electrics?!? I laughed so hard that I nearly fell out of my chair...Gawd, that was funny!

welcome!

I'll tell ya folks, vette owners are people and people are sometimes "not very nice" to put it mildly. I personally don't care if they like my c4 or not. If your car makes YOU happy then I am happy for you!

I love my c4 and will not sell it. I have had several c3 and c4 vettes and this little 84 all original is the only one that I have decided to keep. I don't know what it is about this car but it's apart of the family now. My 2 youngest daughters are Vette crazy! 11 and 8.

Great forum you all have here. Thanks for having me :cool!:

BTW, this is my first post

Let me be the first to welcome you ! C4's rule!

That's so cool...it's like a time machine. Is it my imagination, or is it actually easier to find an early C4 that is original/unmolested than it is to find a later one. For some reason, it seems like most later C4s have been "improved", and not in a good way...

Might be your imagination.

Have seen late model C4s with hardly any mileage.

Also, have seen early model C4s with very little mileage.

Then, there are the models that have a lot of miles. Both early & late.

After all, are these "Collectable Lladros", or Corvettes? :w

That's so cool...it's like a time machine. Is it my imagination, or is it actually easier to find an early C4 that is original/unmolested than it is to find a later one. For some reason, it seems like most later C4s have been "improved", and not in a good way...

I figure it this way, People are cutting up these early c4's for the suspensions and what not. Not that I want to see a Vette die but just think, every one that gets chopped up makes yours a little more valuable!! One day these are going to be extremely hard to find and that's ok with me cause I'll still have mine. ;)

I figure it this way, People are cutting up these early c4's for the suspensions and what not. Not that I want to see a Vette die but just think, every one that gets chopped up makes yours a little more valuable!! One day these are going to be extremely hard to find and that's ok with me cause I'll still have mine. ;)

That's the way I see it, but with the high production numbers, it might be a quite a while before they appreciate as rapidly as the C2's and C3's do....

The majority of 'vette talk is of the C2 - C3 or C5 - C6 range. Sometimes I do agree with the OP that the C4's ARE overlooked in some respects.

That's the way I see it, but with the high production numbers, it might be a quite a while before they appreciate as rapidly as the C2's and C3's do....

The majority of 'vette talk is of the C2 - C3 or C5 - C6 range. Sometimes I do agree with the OP that the C4's ARE overlooked in some respects.

You're right! I think there were 50k+ in the 84 production year. That's ok, I'm patient....

I wasn't referring to the mileage on the cars, I was referring to modifications, etc. JMO, but while I'd would consider the purchase of a high-mileage original car, I would not want a modified car...

I've had C3-C8's and would never be ashamed of owning a C4 .Even though I currently own a 2008 I'm keeping my eyes open for a special C4 .Oh ,I wave at all Corvettes .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom