Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 The Most Maligned Model?

Binkybubba

Corvette
1996 LT4, Coupe, Arctic White
Is it just me or is the C4 the most maligned model series? I love my C4 more everyday the more I look around and the more I see. Of course having an LT4 is a bit of gravy over an early L98 but the guy with the latter likely loves his just as much as me. I found myself rescently "looking" at C5's just out of curiosity as their market is falling out. Most likely due to the impending C7 which I am sure will be a wonderful and monumental testament to the brand that each of us will lust after but few will own. But I digress, not so long ago the C3 was a rusty product of hap hazard mass marketing from the late 70's - 80's that the "poor" rednecks and pimp wanna bee's could afford. Now it has come to command the repect due as it displays a certain panash of 80's extravagance and "over the topness". Try and find an 82 less than 10k, or just try and find an 82 period for sale. (I think 82 was the quintisential model). Wow I just cant stay on track, sorry, it just seems that the C4 gets no respect, they are mearly future trash and foder for kit cars. When I bought my 96 LT4 (like there was another year) it was to keep for a couple of years and "upgrade" to a C5 and so on. I know begin to see the treasure I own as something I may well never part ways with. It has gobs of power, handling like no other car I have driven, sex appeal and what seems to be a burgeoning market. I love all Vettes, really I do. I have been a fan since I was a kid of six when my brother gave me a Hot Wheels red roadster and I ZL1hooked. Wish I still had that one! Bottom line is respect. We cant all afford a 53 roadster, a ZL1, 67 427 or a 2012 ZR1 and so on but respect for each other and model year is to be expected. After all the wave is not exclusive to 97 and up. Any way sorry for the wandering Merlot induced rant, I've just been feeling a bit of the inferiority complex being fed down from the 50k+ club. Just remember, each model has kept the breed alive and has championed improvements and innovation. With out the success of the C4, there is no C7. Just say'in

Cheers, :beer:w

C4 disrespect ?

Not really sure about the C4 being a disrespected, The 82 & 84's weren't overly cheered when the were released, But the high water mark in corvette production only happened twice, 1. with the 1979, it was the heaviest and the sales leader at a shade over 53807 units, and the 84 @ 51547. Your 1996 was @ 21536 and after 1984 nothing again got out of the 30K units ever again. The problem I believe was the cars built from 1967 to 1997 were spotty on quality and maintenance. The cars got worse unit 1989 & 1990 when GM showed the unions and engineers that it was time to shape up or get out. I'm no way an expert, ( we have quite a few of them here who'll be glad to dismiss my opinion) But the 1996 was a great car. It handles so well the benchmark's for testing had to be modified because the C4 superseded all of the test's criteria at that time.

All Corvettes had problems and still do today. But things are getting so much better I'd won a NCRS second flight award with my 1979 L-48, but that car lined up next to my 2003 is like night and day. The only problem of super PITA category is the LT1 engine with 'Opti-Spark' ignition system. And it turned off women buyer's because it's damn hard to get into and out of in a skirt. General Motors have been steadily get better ever since the move to a factory who's sole effort was the Corvette. They tried to built a Cadillac XLR once more but it too died on the vine. I'm in love with my 2003 , but I'd never look down on a C4, it slick slim and fast. Not to mention the 1990 to 95 ZR1.

Although I have noticed in the last ten or fifteen years that a Corvette can bring out the best and the worst in people. A few blocks from my home is a 1990 ZR1 and it's a non functioning 6 speed. I noticed the car had a brick under the front wheel, and the super glossy black paint, has parted way's and it now a pitch gray/black primer color and the interior died some years ago. I happened to see the owner one time and asked if it was for sale and I got a flat "NO WAY" So OK, there's another Corvette which will die of rust or simply the neighbors will get sick of looking at it. I suggested the owner might want to make a planter out of it, but it's another great car neglected and will soon be gone. But it most likely is a parts car anyway.

But I'd love to find a 1995 Convertible in polo green and a tan top and interior. Wishful thinking at this point. Good luck with your 96, it is a GREAT model and will always hold it's value. :w

At my local chapter of the SCCA when we have auto-x me and other C4 are often the ONLY corvettes. Steel Cites SCCA has a bunch mostly C5 Z06/C6's. Those guys are cool. I really don't care what the haters think they are too busy putting on more wax and "talking" about how great there C5/C6 is. At least I actually use my great handling not just putz around on the street and brag about how great it is. :eyerole

That being said other than online I've really never heard anyone bad mouth a C4 in person. Corvette folks have there preferences but usually like them all. Your going to have haters in every group. Ignore them, haters gona hate. :thumb

I have thought that every generation was the greatest when I owned them. C2, C3, C4, C5 and now C6. Is that evolution...? The early C4 and later C3's were built in the worst times in my opinion in car history. They had low horsepower and construction was rough but that didn't seem to slow down sales. Those were my least favorite years, but I owned some of them. The C5 and it's cousin the C6 are very cool cars that are made well and have great power and handling and are a hoot to drive. If you are grading the C4's I think that the one you own with the LT4 is no doubt one of the best except for the ZR-1's.

Bring on the C7.....

weve only owned an 87 C4 and 2 C5s one 04 and now our 03. they are all cars we really liked. the C4 had the most comfortable seats of any car ive owned and it had a really cool dash. the C5 i think looks a little better on the outside.
Jeff

To Each Their Own

With any car, there are those who swear by them, others swear at them. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I have a C-4. It's my first Corvette and I bought it because I love the lines of the car. There were other generations for sale at less money, some more but the C4 caught my eye.

Sure, you can tell it's a Corvette, it's distinctive styling speaks for itself. Many people driving by slow down and look, other Corvette guys honk and wave.

Sometimes I'll have it sitting in the driveway and I'll just sit in the garage with a cool one and look at the beautiful lines and pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming about having one.

We all love our respective cars, well, most of the time, and we all have reasons for the cars we have, but I know I'm prejudiced when I say the C-4 is among the most beautifully styled of the Corvettes to me.

Good to hear so many great comments.

With any car, there are those who swear by them, others swear at them. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I have a C-4. It's my first Corvette and I bought it because I love the lines of the car. There were other generations for sale at less money, some more but the C4 caught my eye.

Sure, you can tell it's a Corvette, it's distinctive styling speaks for itself. Many people driving by slow down and look, other Corvette guys honk and wave.

Sometimes I'll have it sitting in the driveway and I'll just sit in the garage with a cool one and look at the beautiful lines and pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming about having one.

We all love our respective cars, well, most of the time, and we all have reasons for the cars we have, but I know I'm prejudiced when I say the C-4 is among the most beautifully styled of the Corvettes to me.

I guess I was just letting a few haters get the best of me and my love. Thanks for the encouraging words. Maybe someday we can all sit around Clives driveway with a cool one and just stare at our cars!

Cheers, :beer

My '84 isn't the fastest or the best built, but it puts a smile on my face when I drive it or just staring at it in awe. Whenever someone has a negitive remark about it, which is VERY rare, I ask them "Let's see YOUR 'vette"...LOL

Bottom line, the C4's will come into their own right eventually...remember that the C5's and C6's wouldn't be here if not for the C4's, so just enjoy yours :thumb

I guess I was just letting a few haters get the best of me and my love. Thanks for the encouraging words. Maybe someday we can all sit around Clives driveway with a cool one and just stare at our cars!

Cheers, :beer

Bink, I agree with all the commentators and note that occasionally I experience a sort of snobbishness (?) from 1.) mentallydisadvantaged individuals and 2.)"new/first time" owners. The former are beyond help and the latter will for the most part mature into the Corvette culture. While my problem began in the spring of 1959 I have owned a corvette since September 1963(MY64 roadster) which I traded for the 65 coupe. I was satisfied and continued to study and ponder the engineering and design of my C2 from acquisition until today. It has in my eye a sensual design that suggests a new standard in sophistication (for its time) and it still speaks that to me eventoday.

Clearly, by today's standards it is a crude, rough,and uncomfortable ride; but, when I fire it up there is a definite majestic and erotic context to the experience. NO ONE fails to note it and respond to it. The car speaks (I do mean speaks, a 365hp solid lifter engine at idle is like a line inthe evolutionary sands of automotive engineering and design) a living heritage transition point in the evolution of the corvette.

I was happy with my 65 coupe. Until the C4s and while I was attracted to it I was not swept off my feet. That is until I saw my 93. Clearly a different vehicle and the level of improvement in engineering and design are astounding. But, I have also received a surprising amount of criticism, denigration, and disparaging comments about the generation and Corvettes in general. I take solace in the fact that I own one, I am very fortunate to own two (one can never own to many corvettes). I am not concerned with the small, petty, jealous, envious minds that cannot aspire to the position of owner/steward of one of these erotic machines. I also note that the negative vibes do not come from owners of other exotic performance vehicles.

Corvette ownership is not a cult but a fraternity with its peculiar cultural habits and rituals. I urge you to accept the reality that in a world with a population of around 4 Billion folks(I think) very few have the where with all to achieve ownership of such exotic,erotic, sensual (clearly I have a problem) engineering/design exercises which are true works of art. Some hostility and negative comment is to be expected. But YOU are in the fraternity.

It is however, somewhat strange that mature adults with serious responsibilities actually sit around in garages, driveways, parking lots, or my personal favorite my deck, quaffing brewskis, sipping crushed fermented grapes, or savoring the complex nectar of the old country (Oban forever). Clearly, we collectively have a problem. My bride thinks I need real help(what does she know!).

Anyway this is my $.02 worth. You paid nothing for it, so value it at that; but, regardless you are in the fraternity!!!!! And the others are NOT!!! How sad is that?

c

Last edited:
"Most maligned model"?

BS far as I'm concerned.

Considering it was a mix of late-70s early-80's technology, it did quite well.

"Most maligned model"?

BS far as I'm concerned.

Considering it was a mix of late-70s early-80's technology, it DOES quite well.

Fixed it. A well driven C4 can still kick a lot of butt at an auto-x.

Back in the day this car was it! The latest, The greatest. And I still love my 87 Callaway today. I have often thought of selling it, then I look at it and aside from the quirks it's a great car. :)

Cars Coffee Photo.jpg

i10fwy
:beer

I disagree with both listening to little minds or any other label others (I hear none) a few may utrter about any C4 and the por reviews of the '84. The car made a huge leap and quite the splash when introduced, with all of it due. I said before, that all the car was lacking was more power and some screws to eliminate rattles. I fixed the power issue and this car is beastly fun to drive!

From an engineer who adapts C4 suspensions to early trucks: "the difference in handling in the C5 or C6 suspension is about 5%". Exactly what percentage of what, I have no clue, but I'd bet the variance in drivers is far wider.

Like what ya have; choose to be happy. The downer types, obviously, are not. (Have ya seen the photo of the 930 with an LS3?) :w

Clearly Charles has an "autoerotic" fixation that may require horsepower therapy. But I digress again. Unfortunately the lack of respect I have seen seems to come from owners of either later models or classiscs like the mid years. Maybe it's just an issue prone to my geographic region or perhaps it's more demographic and pertains to a bit of snobish monetary status. A lot of that here I am afraid. Not every one who owns a C5 or C6 is as classy as CAC members. I guess I need to start autocrossing as I have wanted to for a while and one of the reasons I got a 6 speed. Although I will only need the first two as I understand it. I just want to have fun and enjoy my ride but it would be nice to have more Vette fellowship. Maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill so I will just buck up and trudge on. Time for a drive.

Cheers,

I have never had anyone make bad comments about my C4 . I must hang around the right people.
Has anyone notice that there seem to be a lot less C4s on the street or at shows? Seems to
be the case around here. I see lots of C5 and C6 around but the number of C4 has declined a lot
in this area. Where are they going ?

Has anyone notice that there seem to be a lot less C4s on the street or at shows? Seems to
be the case around here. I see lots of C5 and C6 around but the number of C4 has declined a lot
in this area.
Yes, here, too.

They're old and while they always were expensive to fix and moreso to hot rod, parts can be rare. :w

From My Perspective

Interesting that if I happen to be having a cold one in the garage, I'm perceived of being a problem.

There's any number of reasons for it. Who knows maybe I have done some long hard work in the sun, maybe come back from a drive in the car?

I think the bigger problem is the guy who drinks more than he should have and then gets behind the wheel of anything. I am a firm believer in not drinking and driving. The life I save might be mine!

The Corvette isn't my first classic car or my only collector car. I do the wave and more times than not, am ignored. Does it stop me? No, it's a sign of recognition to another.

Jus because it's my forst Corvette, doesn't mean I am not aware of the heritage of the Corvette.

It is however, somewhat strange that mature adults with serious responsibilities actually sit around in garages, driveways, parking lots, or my personal favorite my deck, quaffing brewskis, sipping crushed fermented grapes, or savoring the complex nectar of the old country (Oban forever). Clearly, we collectively have a problem. My bride thinks I need real help(what does she know!).

c
[/QUOTE]

C4

My first Corvette is my 91 C4 Convertible. I just love it. 130000 mi and counting. The car is all I ever wanted, fast enough to scare me and beautiful to see. This is my 8th convertible, first Vette. of all my cars, this is the best ever and I have had some classic, 57 Chev Ragtop, 62 Impala convert. 76 Eldorado Convert but for all that and more this corvette is my favorite. I love the quiet power and smooth acceleration and just enjoy driving this thing. I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder...

love my 91 c4 zz4

I just love the look , feel , sound and speed of my 91 C4 with a new ZZ4 engine! :happyanim::happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom