Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grandsport Brake Dust

KP99

Corvette
2012 SuperSonic Blue GS
Have a 2012 Grandsport Coupe. What is a good cure to help eliminate Brake Dust.
I hope they eliminate this problem in the C7.
Any ideas?

I got brake dust if I drove around the block in my Carlisle Blue convert Grand Sport. I had to constantly wash the rims. :ugh

I was told of various wheel treatment cleaners that would help - they didn't.

I do not get any brake dust with my 2012 ZR1. Maybe those brakes will be standard on all C-7 Corvettes.

Roger

"Brake Dust" is always an issue with those who own a Corvette for reasons other than performance driving...and let's be honest...there are a lot of us like that in the hobby.

Problem is technology has yet to develop a cost-effective brake pad material which works with iron brake rotors, provides adequate friction for a brake system on a performance car, is cost effective AND mades little or no dust.

As for the ZR-1 not having a brake dust issue, ZR1's and Z06es ordered with Z07 have a set of Brembo "carbon brakes". The brake pads are designed specifically for use with carbon fiber brake discs and the nature of carbon brakes is they don't dust like conventional disc pads.

So...why don't Grand Sports have carbon brakes? Well, the option is obscenely expensive and replacement brake pads are nearly a thousand bucks.

For those of us mortals without carbon brakes, what are the brake dust solutions?

1) Clean your wheels frequently with a product like C-Magic Wheel Cleaner
2) I've heard that ArmorAll makes a wheel protectant product which "fights" brake dust.

Lastly, some people install brake dust shields on their wheels but, be very careful with those because the shields work by blocking the air flow from the rotor cooling vanes outwards through the wheel spokes. Problem with that is, that's also the path of the air which cools the brakes. Yes, the shields greatly reduce brake dust but they also significantly reduce the brakes' ability to shed heat which means the brakes' fade threshold will be far lower.

Last edited:
Put on comp gray or black wheels!

You'll still get the brake dust - you just will not notice it!! :L

Have a 2012 Grandsport Coupe. What is a good cure to help eliminate Brake Dust.
I hope they eliminate this problem in the C7.
Any ideas?

Don't drive it... just sit around in the garage and wax it...:rotfl

Don't drive it... just sit around in the garage and wax it...:rotfl

Seriously... You might want to try changing to a high grade of ceramic pads to minimize the dusting; that worked on my '04 Vert. Hawk makes some good pads...

I finally got tired of fighting the brake dust on my '10 GS and put Hawk ceramics on. Sure cured the problem :happyanim:. We just did a 1000 mile trip over the weekend and was VERY happy with the lack of dust on the rims and car.

Before I switched out the pads, I did use Armour All Wheel Protectant and it does help dramatically.

Seriously... You might want to try changing to a high grade of ceramic pads to minimize the dusting; that worked on my '04 Vert. Hawk makes some good pads...

Exactly. Unless your'e a track rat on weekends ceramic brakes are a good choice. They aren't dustless, but they are way better than the stock pads that are engineered to eliminate squeaks with dust as a trade-off. I've used all kinds, from GM to Hawk, and haven't noticed much difference.

Have not had my 10 GS delivered yet but I can't say that I had a brake dust problem with my 02 C5....why the difference....?

Brake dust and everyday driving?

:dance I agree, Last fall I switched to a full set GM performance parts 'Drilled & slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic brake pads, and I do notice the dust collection factor is cut about in half. But I only put about 5 thousand miles on my 2003 a year, and I'd doubt if i was knocking down like 15.000 miles a year if this would truly cut the brake dust problem. But for me, this has worked well. I have often wondered why someone hasn't come out with a silicone spray you could treat the wheels with (Granted you'd have to remove each wheel before you treated them so the brake rotors weren't affected. Mr. Halverson might have some insights on this idea ?

(snip) I have often wondered why someone hasn't come out with a silicone spray you could treat the wheels with (Granted you'd have to remove each wheel before you treated them so the brake rotors weren't affected. Mr. Halverson might have some insights on this idea ?

My understanding is that this ArmorAll product I discussed earlier is something like what you describe.

Put on comp gray or black wheels!

You'll still get the brake dust - you just will not notice it!! :L

This may or may not be true with the newer satin black wheels, but the gloss black wheels on my C4 GS show brake dust like crazy...because when they go from gloss black to flat black with the dust, they don't do it evenly and it's very apparent that they're actually dirty.

This may or may not be true with the newer satin black wheels, but the gloss black wheels on my C4 GS show brake dust like crazy...because when they go from gloss black to flat black with the dust, they don't do it evenly and it's very apparent that they're actually dirty.

Enough already!:mad

Wash your wheels.:chuckle

Have not had my 10 GS delivered yet but I can't say that I had a brake dust problem with my 02 C5....why the difference....?

If your C5 was not a Z06, the brake pads were less aggressive than are the pads on Grand Sports, thus they dusted less.

If your C5 was not a Z06, the brake pads were less aggressive than are the pads on Grand Sports, thus they dusted less.

Thanks Hib.....I did get my 10 GS in and have put about 700 miles on it and have not seen much in the way of brake dust yet. Yes I do use the brakes quite often as it seems someone is always trying to pull out in front of me......even in the church parking lot.....lol.

Thanks Hib.....I did get my 10 GS in and have put about 700 miles on it and have not seen much in the way of brake dust yet. Yes I do use the brakes quite often as it seems someone is always trying to pull out in front of me......even in the church parking lot.....lol.

It is fortuntate, then, that even less aggressive base brakepads or aftermarket ceramics stop well when cold and from slow speeds.

Where you need "aggressive" brake pads is if you're a track rat.

I'm ordering EBC Red Stuff brakes for my Grand Sport. I had them on my C6Z, and liked them for all around use. They are about 2 bills for both axles. Dust was minimal.

I fibbed...I got brake dust....it does not show up as much on the chrome wheels but its there....guess I better wash the car.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom