Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

found mice under my dash anyone...

hambone

Corvette
475super natural zr1
found a way to keep these little critters out of the car. where the heck do they get in at? looking for help give me your ideas

Where do you park you car?

Start looking at why mice are getting to your parked car in the first place and try to stop that.

I've found mice nests in my spare tire sheel and in the air cleaner on a C4 I parked in a "barn" in my back 3 acres once a long time ago. I did not find any inside my car however. I set live traps all around the barn and caught a lot of mice that first few months. The mice were living in the tall grass in the back 3 acres. Started mowing that grass a lot shorter so the mice didn't have a place to hide. I used spray foam in a cat to "seal" all the holes around the barn that allowed them in the barn in the first place and still keep the live traps around the car.

I deal with it every winter during storage in the barn. Best solution I found is to set 3-4 traps in the car, check them every week, and re-set them. I put 3 inside the car, and one on top of the motor which they seem to like, If I catch one on the motor I usually don't have them inside. But doo trap them inside also, I tried mothballs around all 4 tires, but that did noy stop them basterds. Good luck, ya cant stop em, so set traps and be vigilant

What is it about these little furry Bastards and 'Vettes? I recently had a tracker fitted and the guy had to get into the fuse panel to get a feed, as soon as he dropped the passenger knee panel a nest fell out into the footwell! fortunately unoccupied, but built from a previous owners chewed up mapbook!

They got into my moms 2003 Sonata and a nest tore up her fan when the vehicle was new. I had to be sure before parking the air was on internal circulation or they would get in. Nasty little things and all too persistent.

Problem with cars left standing for a while too is the temptation becomes too great for them. Leave it any more than a day in one spot and it is free game. Don't even think about just driving it once a week or so.......

Mice

found a way to keep these little critters out of the car. where the heck do they get in at? looking for help give me your ideas

I have stored my Smokin Z the last two years using dryer sheets. I put them everywhere. I use almost the entire box And they work for me so far. I live in the country where the mice are all over the place. Come spring, my cars cockpit smells great :w:w.

In too live in the country,I've had dryer sheets and they still get in:mad
next year I'm trying cotton balls dipped in peppermint.tried it this year in a few places where they would get in the house and it seemed to work!

Two reason mice get in:
1) Good place to nest.
2) They like to sharpen their teeth chewing on wiring and plastic parts.

Get a cat.

A pan of peanut butter and old anti freeze (pre 1990)blend the two together .Caution this mixture kills everything that might get into it .I started using it on squirrels and it worked so well I moved on to mice ,rats and neighbors.Dead bodies everywhere.:thumb

A pan of peanut butter and old anti freeze (pre 1990)blend the two together .Caution this mixture kills everything that might get into it .I started using it on squirrels and it worked so well I moved on to mice ,rats and neighbors.Dead bodies everywhere.:thumb

I'll bet PETA want to talk to you!!!!!;LOL;LOL;LOL

Kill them all

I have been fighting these for a long time and have tried moth balls on outside of car. This works but you have to put them everywhere they can access the car and remember they like to jump.Problem with this is i dont like the smell of moth balls in my shed. On the inside i use "Cab Fresh" i get this a Menards it smells good (pine) and works. I put it in the car over the long winters in Wi. and it even worked in my 67 dart which had been invaded by the little poopers. Best solution is to kill them all. This is the best way i have found to do this. You take a 5 gallon bucket and drill two hole across from each other near the top then stick a dowel thru the holes with a pop can on it. Position pop can in center of bucket opening and put peanut butter on pop can. Make them a nice little ramp to get to the dowel and dump about 2 inches of antifreeze into bucket. When they try to get the peanut butter the can spins and they fall into the antifreeze and die. The antifreeze is key as it keeps them from smelling. Just scoop them out and throw them away, you dont need to replace antifreeze. This works great if you have alot of them because you dont have to reset it everytime you get one. My buddy made one for his hunting cabin that he only goes to about 2 times a year and he always finds 4-12 of them and no dead mouse smell.

Where do you park you car?

Start looking at why mice are getting to your parked car in the first place and try to stop that.

I've found mice nests in my spare tire sheel and in the air cleaner on a C4 I parked in a "barn" in my back 3 acres once a long time ago. I did not find any inside my car however. I set live traps all around the barn and caught a lot of mice that first few months. The mice were living in the tall grass in the back 3 acres. Started mowing that grass a lot shorter so the mice didn't have a place to hide. -I used spray foam in a cat to "seal" all the- holes around the barn that allowed them in the barn in the first place and still keep the live traps around the car.

Hey Tuna, I liked your solution the best. So.... First I mowed the grass....Then I got the spray foam, caught the cat, pried open its mouth, started to spray,into its mouth, but...The blighter wouldn't stay still ! Tried the vice jaws and an old boot, to no avail. Did you manage to get the foam in yourself, or did you buy it already prepared ?......Roger..:eyerole

Last edited:
I take paper plates. put an open bar of Irish Spring soap on each. place one on each tire , one on top of engine , one on the floor of the front seat and one in the back hatch area. I have been doing this in my single stall back garage since 2004 I don't even see any mouse droppings in the garage. They don't seem to like the smell. I also put mouse bait around in the garage but have never seen signs that it is disturbed.

Well, the little basterds got me good this winter ........... I thought I would try "D-con", worked great as they took it all. Guess where I found it all ................. inside the passenger door flip compartment, and yes it killed something because the smell has made me nauseous and headaches the next day after each time I drove it, and it is now unbearable:mad:mad:mad. It is coming from the vents, so I have an appt at the Chevrolet dealer Monday to disassemble the heater motor and clean out whatever nest/dead mice are in it and Ozone the interior. Guess I will have to find a shop/garage/storage place in town next winter.

This makes me sick, both literally and to my stomach for our sweet ride :puke:cry:cry

Mice

We have mice, not too many thankfully but mice none the less. I've been storing my T-bird for years and started the same with the Vette. I put some DCon on paper plates under the car, on the engine and inside the car. I've not found any dead mice inside the cars or under the hood. I have found some in various parts outside the garage and found some apparent disturbance's of the DCon on the paper plates under the car (T-bird in the past) before.

Oh.... yeah, mice in cars in a pet peeve of mine. The chewing, droppings, and urine can make for extensive rehab needs.

I once had a car where a critter destroyed the carpet with urine- awful!

All the best to you- and I think what ever you can do to keep them out is a worthwhile investment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Tuna, I liked your solution the best. So.... First I mowed the grass....Then I got the spray foam, caught the cat, pried open its mouth, started to spray,into its mouth, but...The blighter wouldn't stay still ! Tried the vice jaws and an old boot, to no avail. Did you manage to get the foam in yourself, or did you buy it already prepared ?......Roger..:eyerole

Roger- that's hilarious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger- that's hilarious.

Thanks KANE.. You're the only one to say so. So thanks again. In case anyone doesn't get why I made that comment: The original post contained a misspelling...and used c-a-t where, I believe, the intention was c-a-r. I found the resultant description of events so funny, that I just had to comment. But, it seemed, no one else shared my sense of humour, until you......Roger.:beer

Well, my dealer did a nice job, altho no carcass found. Pulled the heater motor, cleaned out as far as could reach, injected an alcohol circulation through the evaporator, and 2 days of an ozone cleaner. No smell, but irks me we can't find the culprit. Just hope the smell and headaches do not return. Gonna see next week driving it to work.:cool:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom