Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What does CJ 18 63 on rear end of 1963 car stand for

moxie62

Corvette
On the 1963 rear end there is a number CJ 18 63. I know the CJ stands for 3.08:1 ratio but what are the other numbers, maybe Jan 8th, 1963. Also the little black book for 63 states as an option "G91 Special Highway 3.08:1 Axle (not posi). According to another book the CJ is for positraction but when I was checking the rear brakes with one rear tire on the ground and the other on a jack, I could rotate the tire on the jack. So if it was a posi, should I be able to do that.

On the 1963 rear end there is a number CJ 18 63. I know the CJ stands for 3.08:1 ratio but what are the other numbers, maybe Jan 8th, 1963. Also the little black book for 63 states as an option "G91 Special Highway 3.08:1 Axle (not posi). According to another book the CJ is for positraction but when I was checking the rear brakes with one rear tire on the ground and the other on a jack, I could rotate the tire on the jack. So if it was a posi, should I be able to do that.

The "Black Book" is wrong - the 3.08 non-Posi axle was coded "CZ". The numbers are for January 8, 1963. :thumb

This might help:

axlecodes1_zps150c1e04.jpg

I'd chalk the drive shaft and count how many turns the tire makes as my 66 was a 3.36 and is a 4.56 unless the current owner changed it.

This might help:

axlecodes1_zps150c1e04.jpg

I'd chalk the drive shaft and count how many turns the tire makes as my 66 was a 3.36 and is a 4.56 unless the current owner changed it.

I always get this bass ass backwards. At 2000 RPM a car will run faster with a 3.08 ratio then with a 3.55, correct?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom