Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Edelbrock discontinuing TPI Intake Base 3861

AussieCorvetteNut

Corvette
1984 Two-tone Blue Coupe
Hi everyone,

I emailed one of the speed shops in Australia today to enquire about purchasing an Edelbrock High Flow TPI Intake Base (3861) and they said that Edelbrock had discontinued them...WTF?:mad

I then did a quick search online, Summit was out of stock with a big discontinued banner, but Jegs had 9 in stock.

Well they have 8 in stock now...

Looks like due to supply and demand, the parts for TPI's will dry up.

I am retro fitting a TPI unit to my 84, with a good set of heads, roller cam and lifters (Comp Cams 12-467-8). Am also looking at the FAST EFI Management system to run the TPI, self tuning no need for a laptop and no need for changing chips if I change the set up.
Also no need to run a 30 year old harness and ECM.

I managed to get a used TPI without ECM and harness and it is on its way across the Pacific Ocean, also picked up some Edelbrock runners and now the intake.

If your after one of these intakes, best act now.

...maybe 3817

Looks like the Vortec intake 3817 is available.

Can I bolt Vortec Heads to my Gen 1 block.

I am trying to fit a TPI unit with EZ EFI 2.0 ECM and harness, to my 84.

:beer

Looks like the Vortec intake 3817 is available.

Can I bolt Vortec Heads to my Gen 1 block.

I am trying to fit a TPI unit with EZ EFI 2.0 ECM and harness, to my 84.

Yes- Vortec heads will fit your engine, provided you use a Vortec specific TPI base like the one you mentioned above.

However, there is a limit on the lift for the cam though. I think Jegs and Summit specify the lift limit as .475".

...I was hoping on retro fitting a roller cam

Yes- Vortec heads will fit your engine, provided you use a Vortec specific TPI base like the one you mentioned above.

However, there is a limit on the lift for the cam though. I think Jegs and Summit specify the lift limit as .475".

Thanks Kane.

Good and bad news, as I was hoping to fit a retro roller cam from comp cams and run 1.6:1 roller rockers.
The cam is a retro fit EFI - 12-467-8 or slightly smaller 12-466-8

My 88 Corvette TPI is currently working its way through TN, on its way to Australia.
I also have a set of Edelbrock Runners coming from Western Australia, with limited use on them.

The baseplate was the only other key piece.

Tony

I then did a quick search online, Summit was out of stock with a big discontinued banner, but Jegs had 9 in stock.

Well they have 8 in stock now...

No, I received an email from Jegs...sorry but the intake you have ordered has been discontinued by Edelbrock. We apologise for any inconvenience...

:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad

No, I received an email from Jegs...sorry but the intake you have ordered has been discontinued by Edelbrock. We apologise for any inconvenience...

:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad

Check Ebay. Looks like they have some Vortec TPI bases available. :thumb

3817 Hi-Flo TPI Vortec Intake Manifold
Edelbrock 3817 Hi Flo TPI Vortec Intake Manifold | eBay

If it were me... I'd consider using the Pro-Flo intake, fuel rails, and throttle body instead.

With a cam that has a 2k-6k rpm range like the one with the part number you listed above, well... stock TPI runs out of breath at about 4,800rpm or so. Even with a ported base and runners, I think it will struggle with a 6k rpm peak. TPI is designed for low end torque with a long runner system.

Just food for thought...

One more go at it...

Check Ebay. Looks like they have some Vortec TPI bases available. :thumb

3817 Hi-Flo TPI Vortec Intake Manifold
Edelbrock 3817 Hi Flo TPI Vortec Intake Manifold | eBay

If it were me... I'd consider using the Pro-Flo intake, fuel rails, and throttle body instead.

With a cam that has a 2k-6k rpm range like the one with the part number you listed above, well... stock TPI runs out of breath at about 4,800rpm or so. Even with a ported base and runners, I think it will struggle with a 6k rpm peak. TPI is designed for low end torque with a long runner system.

Just food for thought...

Hi Kane,

Thanks for the tips.

Jegs cancelled the order and refunded, but they had kit 3892 which I know has been discontinued as well, but they still have it listed.
I ordered one, but I am expecting that they will cancel this order too.

I am after something with that mid 400 ft/lbs of torque at the flywheel, thats why I was heading down the TPI path, wasn't too concerned about high rpms.

I contacted FIRST TPI and they are planning production in the spring as their shop is being renovated.

If Jegs cancels the order, then I might just sell on the parts I have and look into the Pro -Flo.
My only concern is bonnet clearance, the Edelbrock website is saying 9" at A, which is the front section I think.
84 bonnets are low, but as long as it is around the TPI height, I will have not problem as I know the FIRST TPI fits without bonnet changes.

Thanks for your help, I will do some research on the PRO FLO XT today.

I am still keen on using the EZ EFI system, so I need to check out if the Multiport kit 30404 will run the PRO FLO.

Tony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom