Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Foglights on Anytime and Headlights on bright with foglights on also

69Jette

Corvette
1995 Corvette Auto Black on Black
Hello Everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. Just bought my 1995 corvette hatch back. This forum has already helped me a few times which I am very grateful for. I am sure it has been asked before but I've done the search but I just can't find the answer. I am installing HID headlamps and fog lights. Can somebody please tell me how to ground the fog lights so they are on whenever I operate the fog light switch even without turning the headlights on? And also have the foglights on with the head lights on bright? This is my first Cheverolet and my first Corvette and I love the car. Is there any info that can direct me to the answer? I would be really appreciative. Thank you!

Last edited:
You want to be carefull doing this. The wiring may not be heavy enough to run the extra wattage. I installed higher wattage foglights and had to install 5 amp higher fuse to keep the tail light fuse from blowing. The fog lights run on the tail light fuse. I believe the fog lights use the dim headlight for a common. you will need to modify the under hood wiring.

You want to be carefull doing this. The wiring may not be heavy enough to run the extra wattage. I installed higher wattage foglights and had to install 5 amp higher fuse to keep the tail light fuse from blowing. The fog lights run on the tail light fuse. I believe the fog lights use the dim headlight for a common. you will need to modify the under hood wiring.

Yes, I will be careful. Hopefully somebody chimes in on how to exactly do the wiring modification soon. Also, from what I understand is that the HID's consume a lot when starting but consume less when already running? Thank you for the info G Winter.

Just bought my 1995 corvette hatch back. I am installing HID headlamps and fog lights. Can somebody please tell me how to ground the fog lights so they are on whenever I operate the fog light switch even without turning the headlights on? And also have the fog lights on with the head lights on bright?

Is your question only about the HID fog light installation?
Post a link showing what kit you purchased and any wiring diagrams included with the kit.

Is your question only about the HID fog light installation?
Post a link showing what kit you purchased and any wiring diagrams included with the kit.

I guess my question is a little bit confusing so here is what I am doing.

1. I installed a H4 european glass head lamp housing.
2. I will install an H4 Hid head light kit- this is I know how. Also, I bought an HID extended cable so I can run it in the housing because of the type of head lamps C4 has which rotates so stock hid wires in the kit might or will be short I think.
3. I will install an 896 Hid fog light kit - this I also know how.

So here's the main question / things I would like to do.
4. I read on forums that when you install HID's, especially on the fog light, that you need to do some ground modification for all the lights to work properly; I cannot find this info in the search.
5. In addition to number item number 4. I would like to have separate control of my foglights so I can turn them on at anytime and use them as day time running lights and also use them with the high beams.

Here are some pictures of the head lamp installed and parts that I will be installing. I will also post the work being done.
If there's anybody that has this information I would greatly appreciate it. I get busy with work and kids and I'll try to finish it quickly. Thank You!

20151117_211545.jpg20151117_211656.jpg20151117_161534.jpg20151117_180151.jpg

4. I read on forums that when you install HID's, especially on the fog light, that you need to do some ground modification for all the lights to work properly; I cannot find this info in the search.

To get the fog lamps to work with the high beams on you need to cut the Light Green wire at pin D2 of the fog lamp relay. You then ground pin D2 at the relay. Tape up the end of the Light Green wire it is no longer used.

5. In addition to number item number 4. I would like to have separate control of my fog lights so I can turn them on at anytime and use them as day time running lights and also use them with the high beams.

This would require you to use a new fog lamp switch to control a relay which would apply 12volts to turn on the ballast. (Factory switch no longer used).

You can't use the factory fog lamp switch because it only gets power when the Headlight switch is in the Head or Park position. If you do this you need to use a switched 12 volts to the control side of the relay coil. This will turn off the fog lamp relay when the ignition is off in case you forget to turn the fog lamp switch off.

The fog lamp relay is located on the passenger side front edge of the dash. You can identify the relay by the color of the wires going to the relay socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get the fog lamps to work with the high beams on you need to cut the Light Green wire at pin D2 of the fog lamp relay. You then ground pin D2 at the relay. Tape up the end of the Light Green wire it is no longer used.

This would require you to use a new fog lamp switch to control a relay which would apply 12volts to turn on the ballast. (Factory switch no longer used).

You can't use the factory fog lamp switch because it only gets power when the Headlight switch is in the Head or Park position. If you do this you need to use a switched 12 volts to the control side of the relay coil. This will turn off the fog lamp relay when the ignition is off in case you forget to turn the fog lamp switch off.

The fog lamp relay is located on the passenger side front edge of the dash. You can identify the relay by the color of the wires going to the relay socket.

Ecss looking at the wiring diagram and not having the other diagram. If I cut the power switch at the factory fog light switch coming from the headlight powerside and connecting it to ignition power under the dash along with cutting the green wire at pin D2 and grounding it. Would this work so I do not have to add a separate switch to get power? I would like to keep the factory switch and look.

Ecss looking at the wiring diagram and not having the other diagram. If I cut the power switch at the factory fog light switch coming from the headlight powerside and connecting it to ignition power under the dash along with cutting the green wire at pin D2 and grounding it. Would this work so I do not have to add a separate switch to get power? I would like to keep the factory switch and look.

If you look at the first schematic I posted, it shows the fog lamp switch is integrated into the Headlight switch. I'm not sure you can externally apply power to the fog lamp switch.

Only way to tell is to remove the headlight switch and physically look at it. If you can apply 12 volts to it then yes it should work like you want it to.

Here's the schematic showing where that Light Green wire goes which shows the reason why the fog lamps don't work when the hi beams are on. When the hi beam switch is on, 12 volts is applied to one side of the fog lamp relay coil. When the fog lamp switch is on 12 volts is applied to the other side of the fog lamp relay coil so the coil is disabled.

Here's a ebay listing that shows the back side of the headlight switch. It does show a 3 pin connector
on the back of the fog lamp switch.

Pin A Yellow wire goes to the fog lamp relay coil.
Pin B may be the wire that gets 12 volts when the headlight switch is in park or head.
Pin C Purple/White wire for the LED.

You can zoom in on the picture.

Corvette C4 Headlight Switch Assy 1994 1996 Only 10210758 | eBay

h

If you look at the first schematic I posted, it shows the fog lamp switch is integrated into the Headlight switch. I'm not sure you can externally apply power to the fog lamp switch.

Only way to tell is to remove the headlight switch and physically look at it. If you can apply 12 volts to it then yes it should work like you want it to.

Here's the schematic showing where that Light Green wire goes which shows the reason why the fog lamps don't work when the hi beams are on. When the hi beam switch is on, 12 volts is applied to one side of the fog lamp relay coil. When the fog lamp switch is on 12 volts is applied to the other side of the fog lamp relay coil so the coil is disabled.

Here's a ebay listing that shows the back side of the headlight switch. It does show a 3 pin connector
on the back of the fog lamp switch.

You can zoom in on the picture.

Corvette C4 Headlight Switch Assy 1994 1996 Only 10210758 | eBay

Looking at the Ebay picture, that 3 pin connector should work. I will try to post pictures next week when I do all of this. ECSS thank you so much for going out of your way in even finding a picture of the switch, that was a very smart idea. Appreciate all the help Sir! Anymore ideas is still welcomed.

Looking at the Ebay picture, that 3 pin connector should work. I will try to post pictures next week when I do all of this. ECSS thank you so much for going out of your way in even finding a picture of the switch, that was a very smart idea. Appreciate all the help Sir! Anymore ideas is still welcomed.

I modified the post above to include the info. below.

If there really is three pins on the back of the fog lamp switch.
Pin A is a Yellow wire and provides 12 volts to the fog lamp relay coil.
Pin B is not described as being used but might be the 12 volts from the headlight switch.
Pin C is a Purple/White wire and comes from the fog lamp indicator LED and goes to the CCM so it can control the brightness of the LED.

Don't forget the 12 volts you use to power the fog lamp switch needs to be a switched 12 volts so the fog lamps will go off if you forget to turn the fog lamp switch off. No more ding ding warning.

I modified the post above to include the info. below.

If there really is three pins on the back of the fog lamp switch.
Pin A is a Yellow wire and provides 12 volts to the fog lamp relay coil.
Pin B is not described as being used but might be the 12 volts from the headlight switch.
Pin C is a Purple/White wire and comes from the fog lamp indicator LED and goes to the CCM so it can control the brightness of the LED.

Don't forget the 12 volts you use to power the fog lamp switch needs to be a switched 12 volts so the fog lamps will go off if you forget to turn the fog lamp switch off. No more ding ding warning.

Okay I guess I will start with Pin B with a test light while turning the head lamp on and off to see if that is the one I am looking for. Yes, I will make sure to use a switched 12 volts so I also do not get back in the car with no battery. Thanks ECSS!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom