Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1987 4+3 manual trans wont go into 3rd or 4th gear

canoeguy85

Good morning
As stated my 4+3 wont go into 3rd or 4th gear.. Started by going into 3 hard but that only lasted for a few shifts, then it wouldn't go at all
Appears to be a gate issue on the shifter (I hope). I can not figure out how to get the shifter out of the car without the use of a sawzall and a cutting torch

1) has anybody experienced this?
2) Im new to this vette thing (3 mo.and only 3000 miles), is this common?
3) How do I get the *#!n thing out?

Thank you in advanced
Brian

1) I recommend against using a Sawzall or the flaming hack saw.
2) I suggest buying a copy of the Factory Service Manual. It contains instructions on how to service the shifter.

The OP will never be back or see this, but here's my guess as it happened to me: The adjusting nuts on the 3-4 rod at the transmission lever have gotten loose and the shifter won't "gate" into the 3-4 slot. It can all be fixed from under the car as long as the exhaust is cool. Been there, done it.

The OP will never be back or see this, but here's my guess as it happened to me: The adjusting nuts on the 3-4 rod at the transmission lever have gotten loose and the shifter won't "gate" into the 3-4 slot. It can all be fixed from under the car as long as the exhaust is cool. Been there, done it.

Turned out to be a small loose screw had fallen into the base of the shifting lever preventing it from going over to the 3rd and forth slot. 5 minuted to fix it, hours to get to it and reassemble

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom