Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is the rotor of headlight door supposed to be able to turn freely?

ghr4news

Corvette
1986 Coupe
Replacing the gears on the headlight motor door of my 86. I've taken the two halves apart of the motor. I've been trying to turn the rotor but it wont budge in either direction and I can't seem to find any mechanism that's keeping it locked. Even tried the manual knob outside the motor, but even that is of no use. Anyone know how I would disconnect the rotor from whatever it is that's preventing it from turning or is this normal? I thought one was able to turn that adjusting knob to align the door!
Thank you in advance.

George

You've got something put together wrong. Here's a link to the disassembly procedure for the early ("84-'87) headlight motors. His problem was different, but maybe this link will help:

'84 - '87 Headlight Gear Replacement - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Yes, the rotor knobs should turn easily to manually recycle the headlight doors. More than likely those little nylon rollers inside the mechanism have crumbled to the point of total failure and binding. When I disassembled my door actuators, nylon particles (chunks and dust mixed with grease) just fell out. A very cheap and easy fix if you follow on-line procedures.

Yes, the rotor knobs should turn easily to manually recycle the headlight doors. More than likely those little nylon rollers inside the mechanism have crumbled to the point of total failure and binding.

Compyelc4, you've been a member of this forum for 16 years, and you haven't learned that the '84-'87 headlight motors don't have those pesky "nylon rollers"????

:mad

Compyelc4, you've been a member of this forum for 16 years, and you haven't learned that the '84-'87 headlight motors don't have those pesky "nylon rollers"????

:mad

Sorry. Wow, my first "dislike" ever. Hope I didn't cause anyone any injury or money loss. My owning a 95 and 07 make the 84-87 C4s seem ancient to me so I rarely even read those posts very carefully. Now, ask me about a '95 Opticrap. I could write a book!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom