Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Inconsistent spark...

Bagoftrix

Corvette
1990 Bright red coupe
Firing engine for first time since most recent build. I'm getting spark, it even tried to start twice. Now I'm not getting anything. I pulled spark plug wire and hooked up another spark plug and watched it. It's only sparking every other rotation, timing light showing the same thing. Any ideas..?

That's normal. That's the way 4 cycle engines operate.

Are you getting fuel? Have you tried any starting fluid sprayed into the intake? Are you sure ignition timing is correct, with #1 spark plug firing at the top of the compression stroke? Did you rebuild the engine yourself? Are the valves adjusted correctly?

:cool

Yes,yes,and yes. I found the problem. It was a bad ground on my distributor coil.

Yes,yes,and yes. I found the problem. It was a bad ground on my distributor coil.

If it was a bad ground at your ignition coil then the coil is most likely carbon tracked and needs to be replaced.

Ya, coil was bad and had to be replaced. Then the mounting screw for the ground wire on the right corner of the coil wasn't making good contact because it was stripped in the cap causing an incomplete circuit. This car is fighting me every step.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom