Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Spoiler - 1981

herron

Corvette
1981 T-Top, Silver over Blue
Does anyone know what kind of bolts/fasteners were used on the back end of the 1981 front spoiler, to mount it? Seems the only one that was still there (most are missing) has sheered off (and the front hook is broken off) so the spoiler on the '81 I just bought just sort of sits there! Have it wired up, to keep it from falling off! But it's tacky as h*ll that way! Not a good look at all!

The holes that match up with the ones in the spoiler itself are threaded...and they don't go all the way through the metal they connect to (or I could have jury-rigged a solution). I've looked at Mid American and Eckner's and can find spoiler hardware for earlier Vettes, but not for the '81. I can't imagine that there is not a generic fastener that can be used....if you only knew what size it was! Does anyone know? :confused

I've got an 82 and I think they were the same.I can check for you tomorrow.Mines in the shop getting some brake work done(under warrentey)First are you talking about the rubber piece?I think the hard piece is part of the front end.You know I haven't ever really looked. It will be a learning experience for both of us.

zgator said:
I've got an 82 and I think they were the same.I can check for you tomorrow.Mines in the shop getting some brake work done(under warrentey)First are you talking about the rubber piece?I think the hard piece is part of the front end.You know I haven't ever really looked. It will be a learning experience for both of us.
Not the rubber piece (mine's missing anyway). The hard piece is kind of an air dam that forces air up over the radiator. There's a small metal hook on the front of the car that the nose of the spoiler rests on (that hook's broken off on mine), and the back edge of the spoiler is meant to mount to the car...there are holes that match up to the metal underneath...but one of the fasteners on mine has sheered off in the hole, and the others are missing!:W

That means not only does the front of the spoiler droop, but the whole thing moves from side-to-side! I'm afraid the darned thing is going to fall off while I'm driving, so I've got it wired up! Not pretty! :ugh

I've not had much luck locating anyone who knows what the fasteners are...but I found some self-threading stainless steel hex head screws (#8, 3/4" long) at the hardware that seem to work. They fit the holes, tighten and have stopped the side-to-side (the nose droop is another problem). I have not driven the car since I put them in...will let you know if they seem to stay put!

I'll still check when I get there today.The broken off bolt?Are you going to use an ez out?

zgator said:
I'll still check when I get there today.The broken off bolt?Are you going to use an ez out?
Probably not. There are plenty of others and, if they hold, I'm not going to worry about that one. I'm more concerned about the missing hook for the front of the spoiler to rest on.

Previous owner must have hit a curb and broke it off. May have to weld something I construct myself (I'm going to use my brother-in-law's '79 as the model for it)!

herron said:
Does anyone know what kind of bolts/fasteners were used on the back end of the 1981 front spoiler, to mount it? Seems the only one that was still there (most are missing) has sheered off (and the front hook is broken off) so the spoiler on the '81 I just bought just sort of sits there! Have it wired up, to keep it from falling off! But it's tacky as h*ll that way! Not a good look at all!

The holes that match up with the ones in the spoiler itself are threaded...and they don't go all the way through the metal they connect to (or I could have jury-rigged a solution). I've looked at Mid American and Eckner's and can find spoiler hardware for earlier Vettes, but not for the '81. I can't imagine that there is not a generic fastener that can be used....if you only knew what size it was! Does anyone know? :confused

im not sure if it bolts up same as mine....i can check tonight if you want and post a photo of it.
as i recall it was a 1/4X20 screw.....but i have to check to be sure.
Chas

Perhaps I am calling it by the wrong name. It is NOT the narrow front spoiler, but the larger central air dam spoiler...# ET31L / ET31J in this diagram:

http://www.volvette.com/page/VVP/80-82frontairdam/
I'm still looking for the bolts (or screws) for this front center valance (air dam) for my '81. Does ANYONE know what size I should be looking for? Mine is basically just hanging there, and has dropped even more. It dragged the ground the other day, creating a nice (?) ragged hole at the point. :mad

I have it wired up to prevent more damage (not a pretty site)...and will probably now have to buy and paint a replacement. Found the best price for one...but cannot find ANYONE who knows what the mounting hardware is (not even the folks who sell them can answer me)!

Anyone out there know? :hb

just a suggestion, try looking at doc rebuild's site or giving them a call if you can't find the pieces you needon the site. they are really knowledgable and the site is pretty good with digarams (from their printed catalog). one thing is for sure, if they have it it will be the right part and it will be top quality if it's not NOS.

just a suggestion, try looking at doc rebuild's site or giving them a call if you can't find the pieces you needon the site. they are really knowledgable and the site is pretty good with digarams (from their printed catalog). one thing is for sure, if they have it it will be the right part and it will be top quality if it's not NOS.
OK...but I'm not familiar with doc rebuild's site...do you have a URL?

Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom